Pages:
Actions
  • #46 by BigDave83 on 10 Dec 2021
  • I view crypto as a giant ponzi scheme.

Some of it actually is.
  • #47 by GREG-B on 10 Dec 2021
  • When it came time for me to retire, my brother who had retired just before me said, "I miss the guys at work, even the ones I didn't like". I said, "Huh, I don't even miss the guys I liked".  Best thing I ever did for myself, RETIRE!
  • #48 by 02ebz06 on 10 Dec 2021
  • When it came time for me to retire, my brother who had retired just before me said, "I miss the guys at work, even the ones I didn't like". I said, "Huh, I don't even miss the guys I liked".  Best thing I ever did for myself, RETIRE!

I like your Avatar.
  • #49 by Darwin on 12 Dec 2021
  • I went online to shop for health insurance this morning. My phone number was required on two forms. Yep I screwed up and entered my number, after 20+ calls I put my phone on do not disturb. After another 10 or 15 calls I turned it off.  Maybe they will get the hint but I doubt it.  Blocking all of them is next.
  • #50 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Dec 2021
  • I am glad I bought the book and read it.  Good news is that I have been practicing similar to what he preaches in the book.  Now it is time to revisit the fees on some funds vs other options and to consider rebalancing my mix to slightly less stock heavy portfolio.
  • #51 by Bentley on 12 Dec 2021
  • Know a funds 12b-1 fee before you invest.  The no sales charge funds usually have backend fees like this that can cost a lot more then the sales charge over time.
  • #52 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Dec 2021
  • Know a funds 12b-1 fee before you invest.  The no sales charge funds usually have backend fees like this that can cost a lot more then the sales charge over time.

Are they not included in the expense ratio?
  • #53 by Bentley on 12 Dec 2021
  • It is.
  • #54 by hughver on 13 Dec 2021
  • Having recently sold my boat I have a few bucks to invest, so this subject is of prime interest to me. More to follow.

Update: I also bought "The "Little Book of Common Sense Investing"
  • #55 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Dec 2021
  • I just put some bonus money in a vanguard inflation protected bond fund.
  • #56 by Darwin on 13 Dec 2021
  • This is my first stop when looking at a fund or ETF.  It usually lists 5 or 6 ratings from major agencies. 
    https://money.usnews.com/investing/rankings/mutual-funds
  • #57 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Dec 2021

• Jack Bogle's Little Book and a few index funds / ETFs    :cool:

^^^^^^^
    Required reading for all investors, whether or not you hire a financial advisor.

After reading the book, I am convinced that I am not paying a financial advisor on a % basis to manage my investments for me.  I am also convinced that S&P 500 and bond index funds are all I need with the exception of maybe using a Balanced index fund instead.  The numbers in that book and the quotes from some of the most admired investors to ever live were pretty convincing to me.
  • #58 by Kristin Meredith on 13 Dec 2021
  • Funny, about 10 to 12 years ago I remember an article in either the WSJ or Bloomberg where big time financial advisors said never invest in bond funds.  If you wanted to buy bonds, fine, but to stay away from bond funds.  I can't remember the reasons why.
  • #59 by hughver on 14 Dec 2021
  • After I retired, I invested heavily in tax free muni bond funds. Over the years they have provided a nice yearly tax-free addition to my social security. Lately they have gained substantially in value.
  • #60 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Dec 2021
  • After I retired, I invested heavily in tax free muni bond funds. Over the years they have provided a nice yearly tax-free addition to my social security. Lately they have gained substantially in value.

I started in those about 2 years ago.  They are part of my "bucket" strategy.
Pages:
Actions