Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Knotty wood pellets  (Read 1789 times)

4given

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Knotty wood pellets
« on: February 07, 2022, 06:29:14 PM »

Anybody try Knotty Wood pellets?  They have 100% Almond and  100% Plum
John 3:16-18  GMG Daniel Boone, GMG Davy Crockett

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Knotty wood pellets
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 08:54:35 AM »

Never heard of them.  Had a look @ their website. Different for sure - expensive too @ $1/ lb..  Not sure what flavour if any they would impart..  Why I say that is I used some lilac wood for smoking.  As

fragrant as lilac flowers are, the wood smoke was bitter with an unpleasant taste..  One would be led to believe these Almond and Plum pellets would impart a unique taste to the food. Perhaps they would.

I as well would be interested in how they play out.

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 08:40:56 PM »

I think it was Curtis Stone that uses almond in his restaurant.  I would like to try them for cold smoking.  A restaurant I worked at used pear one night a week for grilling.  That’s the closest to plum I have used.  I think I was indifferent about it.

Mac_5

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 12:49:42 AM »

I've used both the almond and the plum. Almond was very good and I'll use again. Plum had good flavor, but jammed the auger periodically so I probably won't use them again.

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 10:50:17 AM »

Welcome to the forum Mac.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

4given

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 01:27:40 PM »

I've used both the almond and the plum. Almond was very good and I'll use again. Plum had good flavor, but jammed the auger periodically so I probably won't use them again.

Was the almond strong flavored?  I can buy some locally for $12 a bag. 
John 3:16-18  GMG Daniel Boone, GMG Davy Crockett

Mac_5

• Lurker
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2022, 02:54:31 PM »

Was the almond strong flavored?  I can buy some locally for $12 a bag.
I don't think I would call it strong, but they gave a good level of flavor. At $12 you don't have much to lose.

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 07:23:09 PM »

The "Mad Scientist BBQ"  YouTube channel did a review on the Knotty Wood pellets a few days ago.  He conducted a brisket test comparing those cooked on a stick burner and a pellet smoker.  The pellets are sourced from orchard trees that were just thrown out in the past when an orchard is cleared and replanted.  The reviewer was impressed with brisket cooked with the Knotty Wood pellets when compared with the stick burner.   

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 12:37:58 PM »

The "Mad Scientist BBQ"  YouTube channel did a review on the Knotty Wood pellets a few days ago.  He conducted a brisket test comparing those cooked on a stick burner and a pellet smoker.  The pellets are sourced from orchard trees that were just thrown out in the past when an orchard is cleared and replanted.  The reviewer was impressed with brisket cooked with the Knotty Wood pellets when compared with the stick burner.   
I went to my local ACE Hardware listed as a Knotty Wood retailer.  None were in stock.  The BBQ department manager said they were no longer carrying them.  He said Traeger pellets fly off the shelves, but it took a year for the pallet of Knotty Wood pellets to be sold.  The reviews on Home Depot and Lowes websites were mixed.   Some folks really did not like the pellets for things like ash and flame outs.  Some of the reviews sounded like they were coming from the same person.     
Pages: [1]   Go Up