Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Make your grill portable  (Read 811 times)

just4fn

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Make your grill portable
« on: May 15, 2022, 12:29:33 PM »

If you have a 12 volt grill, you can make it portable. I have a GMG Daniel Boone Prime.  I decided I didn't want to have to plug it in and be able to move it anywhere I wanted.  The beauty of it is they provide an adapter to hook up to your car battery.  I installed a battery tray and used a battery I had in the garage.  I put the battery on the tray and secured it,  hooked up the adapter and purchased a shorter power cable.  Voila- portable.  I just charge the battery every 6 months as you would in your car. Sharing to give others an idea.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
GMG Daniel Boone, Blackstone 36 griddle, Primo XL Kamado with Flame Boss 300 and a FireBoard.

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Re: Make your grill portable
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 12:52:17 PM »

Cool idea.   :clap:

Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 03:02:49 PM »

I use my battery jump box to run the Davey Crockett a lot of the time,it is easier than finding an extension cord at times.

Nice idea, now just get one of those little trickle charger and hook to the battery.

Zombini

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 10:30:40 AM »

Great idea. I used a portable cell phone charger to run my master built 560 gravity fed charcoal grill. Im guessing the GMG will take a little more juice, especially when starting up.
z
Zombini

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 10:39:42 AM »

That is a nice set up!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 10:43:21 AM »

To make it truly portable and off-grid, you could add a solar charger for the battery.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Timpanogos Slim

• Lurker
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2022, 05:15:52 PM »

lead-acid batteries don't like being allowed to run down so it might be best to leave it attached to even a very cheap 12v solar panel. You'll probably want to silicone the panel housing to be really sure it is weather-tight if it wasn't explicitly sold to be used in full weather.

I have an old land cruiser that for years sometimes didn't get driven for months so i installed weatherproof battery maintainer under the hood and kept it plugged in more often than not. Got 7 years out of the first battery before starting it if the lights had been on for a while, etc, got a little dodgy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up