Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are you all ready for this?  (Read 359 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Are you all ready for this?
« on: November 18, 2022, 07:43:40 AM »

Looks like FDA is giving the green light to Upside for growing lab meats. Now if the USDA gives it's approval it could be coming our way soon.

All this and Beyond Meat is laying off 19% of it's people because of sales decline.

I wonder if people seen it as a fad, or maybe the cost vs regular meat was not comparable.

Interesting to see how this new lab meat product will be received, and the taste, texture, appearance and value compared to real meats.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2022/11/14/1136186819/cultivated-cultured-meat-heathy-climate-change?utm_campaign=mb&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_source=morning_brew

atlasx2001

• Using less gas.
Re: Are you all ready for this?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 08:52:05 AM »

Beyond Meat likely thought they would keep growing at the rate they did.   There is a limit to growth of any products with early adopters trying first etc...then it usually hits a plateau.    I am actually a fan of the Beyond Meat burgers.  They are much better on a pan vs. grill but they are pretty good..texture, taste, etc..

I'm a bit more skeptical about lab grown meat for things like baby back ribs.    I'd be willing to try it out but something sounds odd about it.   

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Are you all ready for this?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 10:39:38 PM »

My guess is at least at first lab grown meat will start as ground meat most likely. I would imagine they wouldn't bother trying to grow a skeletal structure or anything unless they were growing large enough chunks it needed it to support the weight of it. I imagine it probably grows on some kind of film that won't be all that thick so it would just be ground. It also wouldn't be used muscle unless they are sending electrical charges through it to get it to contract or something so I would imagine it would be really tender like the veal that they used to cut the ligaments on so they couldn't stand and exercise the muscles.
Mak 2 Star General #1799
Pages: [1]   Go Up