Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: We Need a Russia Investigation  (Read 2704 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
We Need a Russia Investigation
« on: December 05, 2017, 01:47:52 PM »

There were 13 people waiting to be approved this morning -- 10 weren't because they had Russian IP addresses.  This is now typical everyday.  Probably 2/3's of those waiting to be approved are from Russia -- a few from other countries also which have not been known to be part of the pellet pit community.  I think we have nearly 300 which have been barred.

A few have slipped through and they immediately begin posting spam.  I am always afraid they will have a link and if folks click on it they will infect their computers.  So PLEASE -- be ware!!  If you see a post which doesn't seem like it belongs, please report it and don't click on any links!!!

I think I should get a committee going to investigate these guys!!! :pig:

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: We Need a Russia Investigation
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 01:58:18 PM »

Sounds nasty! Wish I could help - just not that good with computers.  PLEASE post anything that resembles trouble..Thank you.

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 02:06:58 PM »

There are a few forums I belong to that force new members to post an introduction in the new member topic before being allowed to post in the general sections. This helps reduce the number of bot postings. I think SMF also has a setting that prevents new users from including url links in their posts and signatures.

Vision

• Using less gas.
  • Baltimore, Maryland
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 06:28:10 PM »

I thought this was a thread about the guy who bought pelletheads.

Which by the way I now believe was done to purposely shut down the site.
Mak 1 Star Blackstone 36 WSM 18 Weber OTG

Maineac

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Central Maine
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 07:11:40 PM »

There were 13 people waiting to be approved this morning -- 10 weren't because they had Russian IP addresses. 

That is dang scary.  Holy cow.
Dean                   MAK 1-Star #184  - Weber Spirit E-310 - Weber Performer - 2 X Bradley OBS
- When you share a great recipe you make the world a better place -

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 09:00:27 PM »

Russian pellets... Maybe they have a good deal.
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 09:07:42 PM »

Thank You for doing what you can do to prevent this.
I can honestly say I would be tempted to go flat (bad word) crazy if I were you folks.
It truly is sad.

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 11:21:12 PM »

Goodness, they never rest, do they? Always looking for the smallest opening to gouge their pound of flesh from their victims.
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 08:08:16 AM »

Yeah, poor Bent is the one with the burden, has to check each address against a data base -- maybe two,  Just a tiresome job!

And what amazes me is that we are just a tiny, hobby forum.  I can't imagine how business, government agencies, the military must be under constant bombardment.

kruz805

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 08:34:37 AM »

Can you smoke with Siberian Pine pellets?
Rec Tec  Broilmaster Grill Certified Beer Judge

GrillMiester

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 08:40:27 AM »

I think I saw a Trump tweet about Russian PelletFans, could be some kind of pellet collusion?

riverrat49

• "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 09:04:45 AM »

Maybe we could get a Gov't Grant, Current investigation is at 6 million, don't know about anyone else but a little extra X-Mas money could be helpful :cool:
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 09:30:28 AM »

Maybe we could get a Gov't Grant, Current investigation is at 6 million, don't know about anyone else but a little extra X-Mas money could be helpful :cool:

Riverrat may be on to something. However, my guess is an investigation will show Burke123 to be a Russian infiltrator and was working to destabilize the pellet voting bloc in order to rig the election.
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 04:37:25 AM »

My Board Game forum is not just "only a hobby site", it is a "local hobby site" (as it is a forum for my actual gaming group).

We've been running the forum since 2006, and have a healthy 168 members (about 50 of them are active, the rest are either past or occasional members).

But in total, we have had 4390 registrations. That's an (attempted) spammer ratio of 96%.

As you say, the majority of the fakes are Russian in origin, although there are quite a few from India and the US also.

Most of the fakes were detected by my scripts running against the Stop Forum Spam database, but there is usually one or two a week that I have to actually eyeball to be sure.
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

riverrat49

• "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 06:01:45 AM »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Riverrat may be on to something. However, my guess is an investigation will show Burke123 to be a Russian infiltrator and was working to destabilize the pellet voting bloc in order to rig the election.
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up