Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 04 Aug 2018
  •  Does anyone have a handle on the time difference between cooking a pork butt directly on the cooking grate vs in a pan on a rack placed on the grate in the same location the non paned butt would go?

Both cooked at the same temperature using the same pit and uncovered.

• #2 by triplebq on 04 Aug 2018
  • I have cooked a pork butt both ways but don't remember a huge time difference. Sorry
  • #3 by Bentley on 04 Aug 2018
  • I don't think you will see a huge difference in time either...It always seemed like the butts or brisket that I have cooked, and the majority were finished in pans, with liquid, and sealed with foil have always come out within about 90 minutes, whether done that way or just left naked.  If the temperature is constant, I have never seen putting it in a pan and covering it as an accelerator.  Maybe I have never paid enough attention.
  • #4 by Canadian John on 05 Aug 2018

•  I have done them both ways in different pits over the years, and don't remember if there were time differences. The last few that were done were directly on the grate. That is why I asked.. I like the pan as it

keeps the pit cleaner and provides drippings. That's my reason for using the pan - start to finish.
  • #5 by hughver on 05 Aug 2018
  • I'm not sure about time, but I would think that pan Vs. no-pan would affect smoke penetration/flavor. I smoke on low and pan at 160*.  :2cents:
  • #6 by triplebq on 05 Aug 2018

•  I have done them both ways in different pits over the years, and don't remember if there were time differences. The last few that were done were directly on the grate. That is why I asked.. I like the pan as it

keeps the pit cleaner and provides drippings. That's my reason for using the pan - start to finish.

I know a few competition teams who cook in pans. One of the main reasons is it keeps the pit cleaner.
  • #7 by hughver on 05 Aug 2018
  • I know a few competition teams who cook in pans. One of the main reasons is it keeps the pit cleaner.

I find that at lower temperatures the butts do not emit enough juices to cause a cleaning problem.
  • #8 by triplebq on 06 Aug 2018
  • I know a few competition teams who cook in pans. One of the main reasons is it keeps the pit cleaner.

I find that at lower temperatures the butts do not emit enough juices to cause a cleaning problem.

I could be missing something but I have cooked many butts @ 180 - 225 and have quite a bit of clean up to do. I get a lot of juices at lower temps.
Pages:
Actions