Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by W6YJ on 28 Nov 2019
  • That shouldn't be necessary, Kristin.

The search with the keyword spatchcock will produce a hit on spatchcocked in the same way that you'll get a hit when your search word is part of a larger word (i.e., press will return pressure).

At least, that's how my searches work.

After seeing this, I think I've figured out why my searches didn't get Paul's older post.

Searching for spatchcock (with 'ed' and without) from:
    Home page      36   53
    This thread       2    7
    Paul's thread    3    5

So, it was my error as I didn't realize searching doesn't automatically start searches from the home page, but from where ever you start from.
  • #17 by hughver on 28 Nov 2019
  • Good to know, I've make that mistake many times.  :clap:
  • #18 by RWhyman on 28 Nov 2019
  • I always spatchcock my turkey. Today the leg/thighs got to temp a lot sooner than the breast. Normally everything reaches the proper pull temp at the same time. 158º for the breast, 168º for the dark meat. My reasoning is because it a 20 lbs er. Another reason I like the spatchcock method is the ease of pulling the dark meat early. I can't remember what temps I've used in the past. Today I did 200º for about an hour then bumped to 360º. Maybe in past years I've used a lower final temp. I went for a higher temp to get a crisper skin. The breast is still on the Yoder, now at 144º.
  • #19 by RSNovi on 30 Nov 2019
  • I have an 18 pound turkey that I will be putting into the Pit Boys Apple Cider brine this morning.  Then I plan to smoke it at 225 for about 2 hours and then turn up the heat to 325 for another 4 hours or so.

I am thinking smoke breast side up, then go breast side down for a bit with high heat, and then finish breast side up.  I might be over complicating it there.

This is all done on a PG500.

This ended up being my best turkey to date.  The brine did impart flavor and both the breast and thighs were done at the same time.
  • #20 by Bentley on 01 Dec 2019
  • Good for you!
Pages:
Actions