Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 22 Jul 2021
  • What is the typical ratio of the three components?

I want to make my own and cut back on the salt.  So, I think that I'll start experimenting with half of the typical salt amount.
  • #2 by hughver on 22 Jul 2021
  • I bought a SPG seasoning from Costco and I liked it. I'll check salt content and let you know.
  • #3 by Brushpopper on 22 Jul 2021
  • I just wing it and go by how it looks on the meat.
  • #4 by pmillen on 22 Jul 2021
  • I bought a SPG seasoning from Costco and I liked it. I'll check salt content and let you know.

We like most of the SPGs we buy, but they don't list the component ratios, just the ingredients in amount descending order.
  • #5 by Kristin Meredith on 22 Jul 2021
  • I was just re-watching a you tube video by Brent Walton of QN4U where he was going through his basic rub.  I remember it as being a pretty good rub. I think Bent also thought it was a pretty good rub, but maybe he will post later.

Brent had several things that he added to his rub but said if all you had was salt and pepper, that would be a good rub.  His proportions were:  1 Tbs. salt, 1 Tbs. pepper, and 1 Tbs. garlic (he then also added onion powder, a bit of cayenne, chili powder, paprika, and brown sugar).  I have no clue whether that is a typical ratio or not.
  • #6 by BigDave83 on 22 Jul 2021
  • I usually do.

1C Black Pepper (Not a real course or fine grind. Usually use the Restaurant grind from Gordons.)
    0.5 C Sea Salt
    0.25 C Each. Garlic, Onion and Chili Powders.

I have it wrote down in grams some where, but most people just use simple measures it seems.

I like this on just about everything. Eggs, pizza, pork chops, chicken thighs, burgers.
  • #7 by Canadian John on 22 Jul 2021
  •  
      "Canadian" SPG: Volume measure - equal parts of each. The salt is kosher. Garlic is granulated & the pepper is freshly ground* black peppercorns.

* The inexpensive Krups blade grinder works very well at grinding peppercorns!

• #8 by pmillen on 23 Jul 2021
  • "Canadian" SPG: Volume measure - equal parts of each. The salt is kosher. Garlic, ground and pepper, freshly ground*, black peppercorns.

The garlic is garlic powder as opposed to garlic salt?
  • #9 by Brushpopper on 23 Jul 2021
  • I use garlic powder
  • #10 by Canadian John on 23 Jul 2021
  • "Canadian" SPG: Volume measure - equal parts of each. The salt is kosher. Garlic, ground and pepper, freshly ground*, black peppercorns.

The garlic is garlic powder as opposed to garlic salt?

I used to use garlic powder and switched to granulated. I find it is better.
  • #11 by Brushpopper on 23 Jul 2021
  • Now I have to find granulated garlic because if John says it's better then it is better!
  • #12 by pmillen on 23 Jul 2021
  • Now I have to find granulated garlic because if John says it's better then it is better!

+1   :)

The more I study the more I realize that I don't know much.
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Jul 2021

I'm not going to say John is wrong because he has much more experience than me.  I will say there is a very big difference between powder and granulated so just pay attention to it.  I have found that powder is more potent than granulated so keep that in mind.  I usually use granulated too but if you are following a recipe that calls for one or the other you should do some homework because they are not equal in portions.  My experience is powder is much more potent than granulated.
  • #14 by Bentley on 23 Jul 2021
  • So would there be a great deal of difference if one uses Rock or Kosher or Table or Himalayan or Sea... Tellicherry or Black corn...?
  • #15 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Jul 2021
  • So would there be a great deal of difference if one uses Rock or Kosher or Table or Himalayan or Sea... Tellicherry or Black corn...?

I don't add salt to anything I cook.  I do tend to add black pepper and I prefer it to be pretty course grind.  My body loves salt which is probably why my blood pressure is high from eating potato chips, et al.  My first reach to make something taste better is freshly ground black pepper.
Pages:
Actions