Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Electric smokers  (Read 887 times)

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Electric smokers
« on: April 17, 2022, 02:54:03 PM »

Wondering if anyone has an electric smoker ?
Been thinking about getting one as they can smoke as low as 100 degrees.
Most I've seen that you have continually load smoke chips. Masterbuilt for one.
Bradley has a stacker you load their hockey puck wood biscuits in, but then you have to buy those from them.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 09:49:32 AM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

WiPelletHead

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Mondovi WI
Re: Electric smokers
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 04:14:51 PM »

I have a Bradley 6 rack digital. Really wouldn't recommend it unless adding a PID controller from Auber Instruments. The temperature control that is on it is pretty poor. 50 to 70 degree temp swings are pretty common. I see they have a new 4 rack with a PID controller built in and I would think that should be better. But some reviews mention temp swings also. The pucks are a bit pricey but did work well.
FE PG 1000

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 04:48:06 PM »

I had a Masterbuilt years ago that I gave to my BIL when I got my first pellet grill.  It was a pain to feed wood chips into it constantly.  I've been thinking about getting a new one that uses charcoal and wood chunks but that cheap screw gene kicking in still.  Hoping to find a used one.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 05:22:21 PM »

The Smokin-It electric smokers are very nice, and you can add on a cold smoker attachment that uses pellets.
Only drawback I see is price.
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 05:27:55 PM »

I have a 30” master built electric that I purchased for cold smoking.  It works fine for that and small items.  Feeding it is a pain but it worked when I used it that way.

For cold smoking I use a pellet tray with the mailbox mod. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 05:30:08 PM by Darwin »

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 05:59:30 PM »

I have a 30” master built electric that I purchased for cold smoking.  It works fine for that and small items.  Feeding it is a pain but it worked when I used it that way.

For cold smoking I use a pellet tray with the mailbox mod.
Had to Google that Mailbox mod.  Interesting Idea.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 08:46:25 PM »

I bought a small cookshack smokette maybe 22 years ago, it is still going strong. I love it for loner cooks. only goes to 250 I put a few small pieces of wood in the box close the door and wait. It gets used for butts as I can put them in close the door come back in 12-13 hours and take them out to rest.

It is small so not going to be hanging stuff in it well. My racks are 14x14 I think the new ones are 18x18.

I like the looks or the Smokin It smokers and the sizes. I would like to have a 3.5 I think it is. But the cookshack keeps going. I also have a DH65 southern pride I bought in an online auction. it works well, over kill for my needs now. At the time I used it as I did things for work and the space was great.

Not sure if you need insulated but you could probably build something out of a 2 burner hot plate and an Auber controller. Thinking maybe an old filing cabinet or better yet locker or an old holding cabinet.

dk117

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 09:40:48 AM »

a buddy of mine had a Bradley.   He wasn't using it, I used it for about a year.  Then got the Traeger, then the Gator.  This was 14 years ago. 

I will say, that Bradley is still smoking and it puts out some great smoked salmon.  It's held up better than the Traeger. 
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

ScottE

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2022, 10:04:35 AM »

I've used the kind that are a box with a pan of wood chips on a heating element. They do work, and we used the oven to finish the cook. This was in my pre-pellet era.
RecTeq RT-1250. Formerly: CampChef SmokePro XT (w/ Savannah Stoker), Louisiana Grills CS450, Traeger 070.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2022, 01:27:31 PM »

I think you will notice a difference in the smoke "flavor" with an electric smoker.  I don't think they burn as clean as the pellet grills you are used to.

I had a Cookshack years ago when I didn't know any better about the type of smoke you should see coming out of the chimney. I used to much wood one day and was never able to get the creosote flavor out of the smoker.  I sold it at a garage sale for $25 or $50 to get it out of my garage.

I don't know if things changed with them since then, but it was near impossible to get a smoke ring if you wanted that for presentation purposes.  They recommended that you put a few pieces of lump charcoal in with the wood to get that chemistry to create the ring.  I never got it to work.  Smoke flavor and tenderness was very good before I got too much creosote in the cooker.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2022, 02:57:18 PM »

I think you will notice a difference in the smoke "flavor" with an electric smoker.  I don't think they burn as clean as the pellet grills you are used to.

I had a Cookshack years ago when I didn't know any better about the type of smoke you should see coming out of the chimney. I used to much wood one day and was never able to get the creosote flavor out of the smoker.  I sold it at a garage sale for $25 or $50 to get it out of my garage.

I don't know if things changed with them since then, but it was near impossible to get a smoke ring if you wanted that for presentation purposes.  They recommended that you put a few pieces of lump charcoal in with the wood to get that chemistry to create the ring.  I never got it to work.  Smoke flavor and tenderness was very good before I got too much creosote in the cooker.

Take a look at the Smokin-it smokers and the cold smoke add-on.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2022, 04:07:22 PM »

I have my MAK side chamber I use for cold smoking.  I am done buying grilling equipment.  I need to sell or throw out about 3 grills.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2022, 04:27:11 PM »

I have my MAK side chamber I use for cold smoking.  I am done buying grilling equipment.  I need to sell or throw out about 3 grills.
Wasn't implying you buy one, just wanted you checkout the smoke.   ;D
You do have a few smokers.  I'm pretty bad at things like that.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2022, 04:45:15 PM »

I think those Cookshack Electric Smokers are very good, but I also think you need to know how to use them as they can lay down some serious smoke!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2022, 05:07:31 PM »

I think those Cookshack Electric Smokers are very good, but I also think you need to know how to use them as they can lay down some serious smoke!

Agreed based on my failed experience
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up