Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Friendly Neighborhood Butt Competition This Weekend  (Read 2397 times)

BeachBlues

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Friendly Neighborhood Butt Competition This Weekend
« on: November 02, 2017, 10:23:19 PM »

Social committee scheduled a BBQ/Football weekend, setting up the big screen at the pool.  Looks like Alabama/LSU.  Roll Tide.  Invited all who cared to participate to smoke/prepare a butt, and they provided the meat.  Looks like 7 smokers.  All in fun.  No idea who or what the judging criteria will be.  Probably lose to the crock pot.  Lol.  I'm still working on my process for competition quality, so it will be another good test.
Yoder YS640 Fireboard Thermometer, A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker L'il Harry Electric Smoker Klose 42" Offset Stick Burner

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Re: Friendly Neighborhood Butt Competition This Weekend
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 09:12:51 AM »

Hope you take some pictures of the various cooks, entries and judging and post.  Sounds like a fun day.  Roll Tide!

bproffer

• Using less gas.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 09:34:31 AM »

Social committee scheduled a BBQ/Football weekend, setting up the big screen at the pool.  Looks like Alabama/LSU.  Roll Tide.  Invited all who cared to participate to smoke/prepare a butt, and they provided the meat.  Looks like 7 smokers.  All in fun.  No idea who or what the judging criteria will be.  Probably lose to the crock pot.  Lol.  I'm still working on my process for competition quality, so it will be another good test.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :puke:

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 03:58:13 PM »

Another funny thought.  If you own a Yoder YS640, you are probably not in the age group that should enter a Butt Contest.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

BeachBlues

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 09:29:24 PM »

yeah conundrum, you're probably right, especially now.  I'm physically recovering from ankle replacement surgery in june.  6 weeks no weight bearing, another 6 in a heavy boot.  Leg muscles atrophied.  Butt, I'm on my way back.  As far as the YS640, I first saw one about 4 years ago in a You Tube video.  Thought I just had to have one.  Then my wife bought me a BGE.  Hated it. Sold it a year ago.  Bought the Yoder just after last Christmas.
Yoder YS640 Fireboard Thermometer, A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker L'il Harry Electric Smoker Klose 42" Offset Stick Burner

BeachBlues

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 10:15:46 PM »

So, as far as the butt competition, it was a friendly event.  I tied for second.  The winner served his out of a crock pot.  :puke:  Got a couple pics.  First is 5 hours into the smoke with great color and bark.  Second some pulled pork and chunks, again, great bark and smoke ring.  Very tender and moist.  I need more work on my injection.  I need a shout out to riverrat49 for the personal message on an injection recipe.  Sadly, my wife has an intolerance to MSG, so i could not try it.  I appreciate the gesture, though.  After 5 hours, i wrapped, and continued to 190.  Started probing the money muscle for tenderness.  Finally got it at 195, so I cut it off, wrapped and set aside.  Started probing the rest at 200.  Finally pulled and set in cambrio for an hour.  I did have one great money muscle for medallions.  Perfect smoke ring, very moist and tender with great flavor.  In my rush to get to the party, I forgot to take a picture.  Personally, I succeeded.  I pulled nice chunks with great bark and smoke ring, very tender pulled pork, and a money muscle.  Everyone else just made a tray of pulled pork out of the entire butt.  None of that was being judged, though.  But the rain stopped just before the event, the beer was cold, and I met some new neighbors. 

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 12:20:43 AM »

Nice finish!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

StevenM

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 04:27:47 AM »

Bloody crock pots...take all the fun out of the game  ???

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 07:38:07 AM »

Nice job.  :clap:
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 08:22:36 AM »

Good finish, sounds like a nice day.

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 05:10:56 PM »

New friends, cold beer and great pork off the pit.  Sounds like a great day!  Nice job.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 06:17:45 PM »

I have to ask then...I have served my BBQ out of a crockpot many times, does not mean it was cooked in it.  Was it sauced?  If so, as I have said for many years....all BBQ Competitions are Sauce contests...his sauce must have been pretty good!

The winner served his out of a crock pot.  :puke:
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

BeachBlues

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 09:59:22 PM »

The guy who won smoked his on a BGE, just served in a crock pot,and you could not apply sauce.  He made a good butt, and we'll just leave it at that.  It was all in good fun.  Like I said earlier, I need work on my marinade.  I've produced the best smoke ring and bark on the YS640 that I've ever done.  It's time to try different pellet flavors.  I've just been a hickory guy forever.  I'll be travelling thru Knoxville next weekend, and may detour to Rural King.  They carry Lumberjack for $9 per 20 lb bag.  I should be able to squeeze a half dozen bags in my car.

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 11:03:34 AM »

The guy who won smoked his on a BGE, just served in a crock pot,and you could not apply sauce.  He made a good butt, and we'll just leave it at that.  It was all in good fun.  Like I said earlier, I need work on my marinade.  I've produced the best smoke ring and bark on the YS640 that I've ever done.  It's time to try different pellet flavors.  I've just been a hickory guy forever.  I'll be travelling thru Knoxville next weekend, and may detour to Rural King.  They carry Lumberjack for $9 per 20 lb bag.  I should be able to squeeze a half dozen bags in my car.

Lumberjack makes two mixes, it's what I have used. One for beef, one for pork/chicken.  Check it out!
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!
Pages: [1]   Go Up