Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Jon515 on 06 Nov 2017
  • The two loaf pans in the back seemed to make a difference.  It was windy and cold and my pit held temps very well (3rd party to internal sensor) I was pretty happy with the results.  Thanks everyone for their responses, I am still learning so I really appreciate it!

Jon
  • #17 by WayneB on 14 Nov 2017
  • Doesn't hurt, but what does it do? Never used one and I can make some of the moistest brisket you have even had.
  • #18 by Jon515 on 14 Nov 2017
  • I think the biggest thing it did was help hold temps. 
  • #19 by pmillen on 15 Nov 2017
  • I think the biggest thing it did was help hold temps.

Please help me understand how it will help hold temps. 

The pit is trying to maintain some temperature while the water's at 212°F (or whatever the boiling point is at that elevation).  At the same time, thermal conduction will cause the heat in the pit to flow to the cooler water in an attempt to reach thermal equilibrium.  But the system will never reach equilibrium because the water will never get above 212°F.  Additional heat applied to the water will not raise the water’s temperature, it will just increase the boiling rate.
  • #20 by Jon515 on 15 Nov 2017
  • I'm not a scientist so I can't confirm that was the only factor, nor did I measure every corner of my pit at designated incrimates.  I think it had to do more with when I would open the lid on a cold windy day the recovery time was less, similar to putting foiled, heated bricks in the pit.  I had my temp set to 225, I wish I would have saved the graph.  I could be wrong, like I said no official study, just my gut reaction.
  • #21 by Canadian John on 15 Nov 2017
  •  What about cooking/smoking BELOW the boiling point? 
  • #22 by pmillen on 15 Nov 2017
  • I think it had to do more with when I would open the lid on a cold windy day the recovery time was less, similar to putting foiled, heated bricks in the pit.

Oh, sure!  There was a mass of 212°F material that would have transferred heat to the pit air and helped the pit warm back up after opening the door.  I didn't consider holding temps after opening the pit.

Thanks.
  • #23 by pmillen on 15 Nov 2017
  • What about cooking/smoking BELOW the boiling point?

Well, I guess that the pit and the water will reach thermal equilibrium.  The water would then evaporate at a fairly high rate and create a humid interior.  Of course the fan would blow that humid air out, replacing it with somewhat dryer air from the burn pot.  I say somewhat drier air because burning wood creates water vapor, even if it's dry wood.
Pages:
Actions