Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Brushpopper on 05 Nov 2017
  • I finally got my Traeger folding front shelf mounted on the DB.  Now to install the GMG front shelf inside for a removable/folding shelf in there.  I know several of y'all have done it and there were instructions on PH, but that's gone forever I'm afraid.  Do I need to use stainless bolts or just plain old mild steel bolts? And can I put just the one bolt on each side or is two better?   :help:  Thanks y'all!!
  • #2 by reubenray on 05 Nov 2017
  • I used stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers.  I got the grate from Academy Sports and it fit perfect.  I had a bolt in each corner.
  • #3 by reubenray on 05 Nov 2017
  • I think I used 4" bolts.  I have two washers (one on each side of the grate) at the head of the bolt and a nut to tighten up.  The bottom has two nuts with a washer in between the nuts.  The nut fits pretty good in between the grates rails.  I used 4" bolts where my smoke tube will fit under it.  It also gives me room to have meat on both shelves.
  • #4 by Brushpopper on 05 Nov 2017
  • It's the factory GMG front shelf that folds down and the grate is removable.  It happens to fit perfectly inside bolted to the back of the pit.  It only has one bolt hole though from the factory.  Didn't like it as a front shelf.  Sits too low.
  • #5 by jamesblake3 on 23 Oct 2018
  • I just added a front shelf.  Smoked two 12 pound shoulders and had no issues with the weight.
  • #6 by tenxnaz on 23 Oct 2018
  • I use bakers cooling racks.   I think they're about $10.00 at Target.  When I get tired of cleaning them or they get too dirty, I buy new replacements.

• #7 by Clonesmoker on 26 Oct 2018
  • I think I used 4" bolts.  I have two washers (one on each side of the grate) at the head of the bolt and a nut to tighten up.  The bottom has two nuts with a washer in between the nuts.  The nut fits pretty good in between the grates rails.  I used 4" bolts where my smoke tube will fit under it.  It also gives me room to have meat on both shelves.

Pretty much exactly what I did. I used 6" bolts to allow me to get pork shoulders on top and bottom. Shelf and hardware ran me about $20.
  • #8 by Shortstop on 02 Nov 2018
  • I use bakers cooling racks.   I think they're about $10.00 at Target.  When I get tired of cleaning them or they get too dirty, I buy new replacements.

Thanks, great tip... I picked some up at Target and they are great... btw you get 3 in a box for $10!  I thought I needed 3 so now I have a lifetime supply...  :bbq:  ::)
Pages:
Actions