Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 02 Jan 2018
  •  Just wish I was more proficient using computers so I could copy the interesting information I found here.

Have a look at: woodpelletreviews.com, "understanding the different types of wood pellets used in wood pellet stoves". It should be displayed at login. If not, type - understanding.. and it should come up.

Basically it states that any pellet may be classified food-grade as longs it doesn't contain any additives or binders...
  • #2 by Ross77 on 02 Jan 2018
  • And there really isn't a food grade 'standard' either.  From what I've found it's just for marketing purposes.  There is no FDA type governing body overseeing 'food or bbq' pellets that I am aware of.  Food or BBQ Pellets is just a term used by manufacturers.  There are different grades of heating pellets. But even premium hardwood pellets are allowed to have some % of softwoods. 

You also won't know what species of wood is in the heating pellets. 

I tried some premium hardwood heating pellets from Menards for $4/40lb bag and they worked fine for high heat grilling but I'm sticking with 100% hickory Lumberjack for everything else.  $16/40lb bag.  I don't go through enough for it to matter that much cost wise. 
  • #3 by jdmessner on 03 Jan 2018
  • I have been using Pro Pellets made by the Fiber By-Products Corp. I found them at a Family Farm and Home store. They are a hardwood heating pellet. The pellets burn great and are made locally, so I find that as an added bonus. 

I called the company and asked them about using them in the grill. The guy I talked to said they cannot officially endorse them being used for cooking because they are not specifically made for that. He did say he knows of a lot of people using them for their grills. He also said he would like to pursue a food grade pellet, but he cannot find any regulations that make a pellet "food grade." They are 100% hardwood no oils or adjuncts. At around $4 for 40 lbs. I'm sold.

• #4 by Canadian John on 03 Jan 2018
  • I have been using Pro Pellets made by the Fiber By-Products Corp. I found them at a Family Farm and Home store. They are a hardwood heating pellet. The pellets burn great and are made locally, so I find that as an added bonus. 

I called the company and asked them about using them in the grill. The guy I talked to said they cannot officially endorse them being used for cooking because they are not specifically made for that. He did say he knows of a lot of people using them for their grills. He also said he would like to pursue a food grade pellet, but he cannot find any regulations that make a pellet "food grade." They are 100% hardwood no oils or adjuncts. At around $4 for 40 lbs. I'm sold.

Just like the pellets I have been using for years. I get them directly from the manufacturer....No pellet poisoning here.
  • #5 by tewharaunz on 03 Jan 2018
  • No local cooking pellets here, but I wanted to use local heating pellet for high heat cooks. Their website said 100% wood but we still use some nasty chemicals to treat timber in NZ.  I phoned and they said no treated timber and the ash was 100% safe to put on the veggie garden.

Since then I’ve been using them for high heat and the “imported” for low/slow cooks.

I thought the softwood might not burn as hot but no problem so far.
  • #6 by Bentley on 03 Jan 2018
  • Wood Ash highly acidic? Only good for blueberries, tomatoes, leafy, herbs, beans and roses?  Watch, it will be just the opposite!

I phoned and they said no treated timber and the ash was 100% safe to put on the veggie garden.

Maybe it is wet wood ash that is acidic and the dry is alkaline...
  • #7 by bregent on 03 Jan 2018
  • Wood Ash highly acidic? Only good for blueberries, tomatoes, leafy, herbs, beans and roses?  Watch, it will be just the opposite!

I phoned and they said no treated timber and the ash was 100% safe to put on the veggie garden.

Maybe it is wet wood ash that is acidic and the dry is alkaline...

I know a lot of folks use wood ash in their gardens and compost. But you're right, lye is made from dripping water through wood ash so would be surprized if it was acidic at any point.
Pages:
Actions