Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by pmillen on 17 Sep 2017
  • The best part is I have a source for those baby back's @ $2.35 a pound for single wrapped racks in case quantities, $25.00 covered the cost of all four racks and the sides.

We enjoy entertaining at home far more these days than eating out, and having this FEPG on hand makes doing so much easier it's a huge time saver that pretty much takes care of itself until supper is ready to serve when BBQ is on the menu.

I don't have the nerve to serve ribs to dinner guests.  I might end up with BBQ sauce in my ears and hair.  So No BBQ Served to Guests is a rule.  Much like the rule that I never ordered tacos on the first date.
  • #32 by InThePitBBQ on 17 Sep 2017
  • Summer has found it's way back and it's nice and hot here today, yesterday's leftover ribs are in the warming drawer and the charbroiler is getting a workout with some Costco bratwurst and 1/3 pound beef patties to feed a pool full of hungry swimmers.

I knew I'd like the dedicated charbroiler on the FEPG but I find were using it several times a week, wouldn't be without one ever again. The burgers are getting served with Mr. Sleebus Jones Husk Cheeseburger Sauce recipe he kindly posted in this thread: https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=468.0;topicseen

Get you some of that sauce mixed up next time you cook burgers it is fantastic stuff!  :cool:

• InThePitBBQ
  • #33 by Quadman750 on 17 Sep 2017
  • YUM!
  • #34 by triplebq on 17 Sep 2017
  • Very nice indeed
  • #35 by InThePitBBQ on 21 Sep 2017
  • Let's make some smoked paprika chicken for supper!

I have the PG 500 set to 300* and ready to go, your looking at 6 pound Cornish X Rock broiler chickens that were halved and salt brined in a gallon of water with a bag of ice and a cup and a half of sea salt in the cooler for six hours.

Seasonings are coarse ground garlic salt, black pepper, dried and ground sweet Hungarian peppers and paprika.

At the one hour mark, I'll take some temps in another 30 minutes or so.

I'll post an edit here when they are ready  :lick:

On Edit:

They were ready to pull at the 2:15 mark, these broiler birds have huge breasts and they tend to break the rules and finish later than the thighs which held true in this case the thighs were done at 1:55 and the breasts needed another 20 minutes before they registered 167* on the Thermapen.

I always toss a pan of Mac N Cheese on zone 2 for a side, the chicken was wonderful perfect bite through skin and breasts and thighs were hot and juicy.

• InThePitBBQ
  • #36 by GregW on 21 Sep 2017
  • I have a friend who works for a company that reps Cookshack. He has a BBQ business and runs several FEC units. At one time he also had a FEC Charbroiler.

I have talked to him asking about the Charbroiler asking him how he liked it. He said it was a good unit, however he said what he didn't like was the pellet usage. He said the pellet usage was really high in a commercial environment. He wound up selling the Charbroiler. He sold it before I knew him, or I would have bought it.

I still would love to have a 36" Charbroiler on deck, it would really compliment my FEC 120.
    I would love to be completely out of charcoal cooking and the Charbroiler would make that possible.
    • GregW
  • #37 by InThePitBBQ on 21 Sep 2017
  • I'd back a dump truck full of pellets up to a Cookshack charbroiler if that's what it took to feed it, I've been messing around trying to make the "perfect" hamburger for what seems forever now after owning several top of the line gassers and stick burners over the years and none of them comes close to the results the charbroiler side of my PG 500 produces.

Bottom line is those thick heavy stainless sear grates sitting over the top of a 900* heat source is what it takes to produce restaurant quality sears on burgers or steaks and you need the right tool for the job lesser units don't have it.

I'd love to add a 48" charbroiler and an FEC 120 to the lineup here, I'll find reasons to use them often enough to justify having them.
    • InThePitBBQ
  • #38 by triplebq on 21 Sep 2017
  • Cooks on my CB036

• #39 by triplebq on 21 Sep 2017
  • I'd back a dump truck full of pellets up to a Cookshack charbroiler if that's what it took to feed it

My CB036 does burn through pellets but it isn't as bad as I had thought it would be. When the unit is on high it goes through 6 pounds per hour (based on Cookshack). My last pellet buy I did I got pellets at .35 cent a pound. So if I ran the unit for an hour we are only talking $2.10. Heck even if I paid $1.00 per pound you would be looking at $6.00. I'm OK with that.
  • #40 by InThePitBBQ on 21 Sep 2017
  • If it was a Charbroiler I would go look at it!
    I just found a 48" Cookshack CB48 on Craigslist in Windham Maine, asking price is $1600.00.

If you want the link I can post it or PM it.

What are the rules regarding posting things like that btw? I don't see any sort of classifieds here, it would be nice to give members a heads up when good equipment is available on the cheap that's a 6K unit new I'd be all over that were it closer.   
    • InThePitBBQ
  • #41 by Bentley on 21 Sep 2017
  • 48 is just way to big for me...Would prefer that stuff like this be PMed if folks ask...Never been a fan of ebay or craigs list!
  • #42 by triplebq on 22 Sep 2017
  • I purchased my FEC-120 and Charbroiler CB036 off Craiglist. I also got my PG500 off Ebay. $1600.00 sounds like a killer deal.

Just looked up the unit. It looks good.
  • #43 by InThePitBBQ on 22 Sep 2017
  • I purchased my FEC-120 and Charbroiler CB036 off Craiglist. I also got my PG500 off Ebay. $1600.00 sounds like a killer deal.

Just looked up the unit. It looks good.
    There's a PG 500 in the Detroit area for $1200.00 that's been cooked on 4 times I would have been all over that a few months back when I was shopping for one.

I see the broiler is actually at an equipment dealer, maybe I can get U ship to pick it up for me! I'll give them a call today and see if we can make a deal.

My PG 500 is the only new Cookshack appliance that's in the cards for me, I can't justify a new broiler or 120 series but at fair used CL or Ebay prices I'm game to add both your set up is amazing!
    • InThePitBBQ
  • #44 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 Sep 2017
    I just found a 48" Cookshack CB48 on Craigslist in Windham Maine, asking price is $1600.00.

What are the rules regarding posting things like that btw? I don't see any sort of classifieds here, it would be nice to give members a heads up when good equipment is available on the cheap that's a 6K unit new I'd be all over that were it closer.

I would drive up there for that, but I am not home until next weekend.
  • #45 by InThePitBBQ on 22 Sep 2017

I would drive up there for that, but I am not home until next weekend.

I don't think it's going anywhere unless someone does make the drive, U ship drivers want a fortune to go after it they don't have much in the way of normal routes going that far North on the E coast.
    • InThePitBBQ
Pages:
Actions