Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking to Replace My PG500  (Read 3487 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Re: Looking to Replace My PG500
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 07:53:16 PM »

Thanks Darwin, I gave it a look. They have some decent discounts. I liked the prices on the GMG, but watching the demo it looks like the auger feeds right into the side of the firepot. Seems like that would be prone to auger fires. I'm going to check out the Blaz'n pits and keep an eye on CL and OfferUp.

The Blaz'n also feeds into the fire pot. If that is a concern you need to look at the Yoder. This was the only concern I had before buying my Blaz'n as I was use to the PG500 and Yoder dropping pellets into the fire pot. Blaz'n created a new shutdown procedure a to fix the issue. When you turn off their units the fan runs to burn off the remaining pellets which prevents auger fires. Since having my unit for a year or so I haven't had any issues.

Since I had new shutoff algorithm installed, there have been no auger fires.  The new units already have that adjustment.  Just be sure to empty the firepot before or after every cook, and I always lower the temp to around 270 after hot cooks and then turn it off when is gets down in that range. I am quite happy with this cooker.

MP09

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 09:21:41 PM »

My BGW Grid Iron has been flawless.  The new shutdown procedure  even at a very high temp has been a non issue.
BGW Grid Iron and a bunch of old gassers "now retired"

AZRaptor

• Using less gas.
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2017, 11:57:54 AM »

Thanks for the information on the Blaze’n Grills regarding the new shutdown to prevent auger fires. I’ve never had to worry about that with the PG500 and would hate to have to start worrying about it now. Someone locally listed a 2-year old Yoder YS640 CompCart on CL this week, but their price is basically the same as a new one minus the shipping and wait time.

I have a question here, I am by no means trying to defend the PG-500 but one of the reasons I had for buying one is that what you cook on the indirect side does not drip grease onto a hot pan. From what I see looking at these other grills this will be the case as was my Rec-Tec. I personally find that the dripping of grease onto a sizzling hot pan emits a odor and taste I really do not like. Just wondering what the rest of you think? Will you get the same flavor as you do with the PG-500?

I don’t have first hand experience with this on a pellet smoker, but my reverse flow stick burner is designed to have drippings hot a hot plate to add flavor. The same thinking is in the design of GrillGrates so I don’t doubt it does affect the flavor but for most I think that is a good thing.

I love my Cookshack PG500 and have cooked on it a lot over the last couple years, but the small capacity is really starting to bother me. I often cook both a full packet brisket along with multiple racks of ribs which means I need to use my stick burner, which I don't mind at all, but I don't always have the time to tend the fire, so I want to look at alternative pellet smokers.

I originally looked at RecTec, GMG and Yoder before coming across the PG500 on my local Craigslist. I'm open to other brands, but I was good build quality and the ability to cook a whole packer brisket with either a couple butts or 4-6 racks of ribs. Who builds a decent pellet smoker with tons of space?

Have you looked at FEC100's? Sound like just what you need and you can get deals on used ones online.

Actually, no I had not looked at the FEC100 because I forgot they had larger pellet smokers. I was thinking that was one of the electric wood chunk smokers. I’ll have to keep my eyes open for used ones on CL.

AZRaptor

• Using less gas.
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 12:38:55 AM »

In my research I found GMG is running a Black Friday sale until Tuesday. You can get the black Wifi Jim Bowie for $699 vs a Yoder YS640 for $1,449. I think it's generally accepted that the Yoder has the better build quality, but I'm curious if its worth just over twice as much. I think I may swing by one of the local stores tomorrow to look at one in person and see.

silverbullet

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2017, 11:15:42 PM »

If your to far from Central Wisconsin, I have a rarely used GMG Jim Bowie complete with a winter Blanket & top shelf & a stainless hood. For sale. PM me if interested.
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24

AZRaptor

• Using less gas.
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2017, 11:48:02 PM »

Thanks silverbullet, but I'm in Arizona.

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 10:23:45 AM »

In my research I found GMG is running a Black Friday sale until Tuesday. You can get the black Wifi Jim Bowie for $699 vs a Yoder YS640 for $1,449. I think it's generally accepted that the Yoder has the better build quality, but I'm curious if its worth just over twice as much. I think I may swing by one of the local stores tomorrow to look at one in person and see.
Sportsman's has a deal on the DB Wi-Fi, $499.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up