Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rec Tec Bullseye  (Read 20571 times)

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Rec Tec Bullseye
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2018, 05:49:10 PM »

Interesting. So the shutdown mode doesn’t blow the ashes out? 
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2018, 07:20:05 PM »

There is no shutdown mode on the bullseye. It is all toggle switches. So I turn the auger off and just let the fan blow with the lid open. But at times that has seemed to just stoke the flames. I have had multiple instances of smoldering for as long as 30minutes after the bullseye has been shut down. So far no fire, and I haven't seen any reports of them (I do not have facebook so unsure if on there) but it is worrisome.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

Ross77

« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2018, 07:34:13 PM »

I’m on Facebook and joined the Bullseye owners group. I don’t recall seeing anyone mention a fire unless it was from excessive grease. They smoked a pork shoulder then did a high heat cook next without cleaning.

Ross77

« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2018, 11:15:43 PM »

The AmazingRibs website did not like the Bullseye and gave it a "Not Recommended".  They think it should have a thermostatic control, the build quality is not up to par and startup/shutdown is too complicated.

They couldn't manage to sear anything without Grill Grates. 

The review stated they got a lot of negative feedback on the review from Bullseye owners and even RecTec.

Th3Batman86

« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2018, 12:43:17 AM »

I honesty would not recommend it either. It is somewhat of a fun toy but they are correct. I cannot get a great sear either. And I bought the Weber performer grate with the cast iron insert. Luckily I didn’t pay for this one. If I had I would probably return it or be disappointed. I have it, I use it, but I think it is overpriced. I wouldn’t want to pay over $250 for it for the build quality and lack of precise controls. I had the same problems as others with holes not lining up on assembly. I also have had pieces of porcelain chip off so it’s gonna rust eventually. I am tossing around keeping it or selling it. Haven’t decided. I bought accessories for it so I feel invested.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

GatorDave

« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2018, 05:20:11 AM »

There is no shutdown mode on the bullseye. It is all toggle switches. So I turn the auger off and just let the fan blow with the lid open. But at times that has seemed to just stoke the flames. I have had multiple instances of smoldering for as long as 30minutes after the bullseye has been shut down. So far no fire, and I haven't seen any reports of them (I do not have facebook so unsure if on there) but it is worrisome.

I had the same issue on my first cook.  The way I shut down now is to turn the auger down to the lowest setting for a couple of minutes before shutting it off completely.  This lets the fire in the firepot burn down before turning the auger off.  I've had no issues since then.

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2018, 07:52:48 AM »

The lack of 'precise' control, is not a big concern for me...  However I don't understand why they don't have at least a simple timer on things like the hot rod... ( like on most Traeger controllers, the hot rod comes on for a couple minutes as you start the grill, then turns itself off when the timer expires ).     It would be nice to have a shutdown mode that turns the pellet feed down to a minimum level for a few minutes while the fan continues to blow, before eventually shutting everything down.

FYI - IMHO, leaving the fan running after the auger has been on high and then abruptly shut off , is probably the worst thing you can do on a pellet grill.   Leaving the fan run for a short time, after you've reduced the auger feed for 5 minutes or so could be a good thing, but don't turn the auger off when it's been running on high and leave that fan blowing, that's just going to fan the flames of any burning embers at the end of the auger tube...
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Th3Batman86

« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2018, 10:42:38 AM »

The AmazingRibs website did not like the Bullseye and gave it a "Not Recommended".  They think it should have a thermostatic control, the build quality is not up to par and startup/shutdown is too complicated.

They couldn't manage to sear anything without Grill Grates. 

The review stated they got a lot of negative feedback on the review from Bullseye owners and even RecTec.

Just went and read the review (Thanks for pointing me to it Ross77) and it lines up with my experiences. Sadly it lines up with my experiences with the bullseye and with RecTec coming after me for a bad review. You guys may recall my initial posting in this forum being about my Bullseye experience. Ray Carnes himself called me and literally yelled at me. They did send me a bullseye no charge after I had already had to send two back and asked me to remove the review. I did pull it down from Reddit but did not take it down from here. I also tried to submit a less than 5 star review on their website and they refused to post it (told me that they had received it and they don't allow bad reviews on their website). This AmazingRibs thing really bums me out. I don't know about the rest of you folks but I have great respect for Meathead and the rest of the crew over there and what they are doing to help everyone make great BBQ. Yesterday I was on the fence about selling the bullseye but after reading about them coming after AmazingRibs I think I will be selling it. I will keep the RT680 for a couple years more until I get my Yoder but then I believe I will be done with RecTec. Coming after customers and independent reviewers for bad reviews is just not a good company policy.

Bentley and Kristin I hope this doesn't count as company bashing (I know we don't do that in this forum) and if it does please let me how I can express these thoughts without seeming to bash them.

Ross77

« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2018, 10:57:56 AM »

I like my 680 and the customer service I’ve received so far but they definitely seem to be very protective of their company. Seems like maybe the Bullseye was a misfire, no pun intended.

I would never buy anything based on reviews from the company website. RecTec or any company. I’m sure they filter them out.

Ross77

« Reply #114 on: May 29, 2018, 12:02:25 PM »

I saw the Bullseye on the Home Depot website for $599. Not in stock at this time.  Looks like RecTec is going big time now.

$599 is too much though.

Th3Batman86

« Reply #115 on: May 29, 2018, 12:38:03 PM »

I saw the Bullseye on the Home Depot website for $599. Not in stock at this time.  Looks like RecTec is going big time now.

$599 is too much though.

$599!?!?! So the Depot is marking it up another $100 over what you can buy it from RecTec!! That is crazy. It is overpriced already. But moving into brick and mortar is a big move.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #116 on: May 29, 2018, 01:26:01 PM »

$599!?!?! So the Depot is marking it up another $100 over what you can buy it from RecTec!! That is crazy. It is overpriced already. But moving into brick and mortar is a big move.

I think I paid $399 from REC TEC.  Home Depot is plus $200???
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Th3Batman86

« Reply #117 on: May 29, 2018, 02:05:00 PM »

I think I paid $399 from REC TEC.  Home Depot is plus $200???

You are correct. I was thinking that RecTec does that “always on sale” thing where they say the price is $499 but today it’s $399. However since that is the price everyday it makes no sense.

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2018, 12:08:15 PM »

$599 is too much though.

There was a article in the Augusta Chronicle , nearly a year ago, I think it was just before they started selling the Bullseye. In that article , they described the Bullseye as "a low-cost model designed specifically for brick-and-mortar retailers", this information apparently provided by Ray Carnes , to the Chronicle.     

So, it seems they always had plans to sell at brick and mortar retailers ...   But then $599 is not exactly low cost... even $400 isn't exactly low cost.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up