Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by Fishwater2002 on 18 Nov 2017
  • I'm really tempted to order one. I've never owned a Rec Tec product but those of you that do really seem to like them. The RV version also has me really intrigued since that's how our summers are spent so I don't know if I should wait to see that first or not but I brought a Weber kettle for years in the back of the truck camping.
    • Fishwater2002
  • #32 by Canadian John on 18 Nov 2017
  •  Looks as if it is a Weber Kettle/Rec Tec hybrid.. Weber Kettles are so iconic..
  • #33 by Ross77 on 18 Nov 2017
  • I took a look at the user manual. Lighting and shutdown are a little less automated than the 680. Also a 1 year warranty vs 6. The controls also remind me of a Treager.
    All to be expected at this price point I suppose.
  • #34 by Big Orange Q on 18 Nov 2017
  • It really doesn’t make any sense to put their PID controller on a grill like this, when you consider that the lid will be open a lot of the time.
    • Big Orange Q
  • #35 by triplebq on 18 Nov 2017
  • It really doesn’t make any sense to put their PID controller on a grill like this, when you consider that the lid will be open a lot of the time.

I would think they used the same controller to save cost. Easier and cheaper to have 1 controller across multiple units. Cuts down on inventory, etc.
  • #36 by Fishwater2002 on 18 Nov 2017

I would think they used the same controller to save cost. Easier and cheaper to have 1 controller across multiple units. Cuts down on inventory, etc.

Both of you make a lot of sense. When I first saw it I was surprised/disappointed that it didn't have a more advanced controller but as mentioned the lid will be lifted often while cooking. I guess it makes more sense to have a dial that turns up the heat like a stove, simple & hopefully effective.
    • Fishwater2002
  • #37 by okie smokie on 19 Nov 2017
  • I am very happy that I can grill very well without direct flame with my GS.  However it is tempting.  Will give it some time and see how it holds up.  The grill grates look a little flimsy to me for direct grilling.  ??
  • #38 by sleebus.jones on 20 Nov 2017
  • If this is set up to cook like a char-griller, I'd give it serious consideration.  Cookshack is the only one competing in that market segment.
  • #39 by lamrith on 20 Nov 2017
  • I took a look at the user manual. Lighting and shutdown are a little less automated than the 680. Also a 1 year warranty vs 6. The controls also remind me of a Treager.
    All to be expected at this price point I suppose.
    Yeah I have to admit I was a little..  not sure the right word for it.. dissapointed? When I saw what it was in the video and the price.  Just looked a bit "light" compared to typical rectec heavy built units like my 680 and the Mini I have seen.

That said I called RT asking about it and wanting more info.  During the call it was mentioned that the price on the website is the SHIPPED price.  To your door.  Shipping on something that big and heavy will be a solid $100.  So when taking that into account the unit really is a $299 unit and what we get for that price is definitely reasonable.  I even went to look at DIY and could not do it cheaper or eventhe same price.  The price of a weber kettle plus the price of hopper/auger assemblies you can buy to make your own pellet grill...  Those hoppers all seem to run in the $350-400 range plus Weber kettle.

My 680 is working for me for now, but I am definitely watching this unit, awaiting real world reviews and may very well add it to take over primary grilling duties and compliment the 680.
  • #40 by Fishwater2002 on 20 Nov 2017
  • I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on this one, can't stop thinking about it in fact but hoping maybe they do something additional for Black Friday. The one thing I really would have liked to see is a hopper clean out, considering this is portable it would be great to have all the pellets out of it during transport but at this price point I guess it didn't make sense. Still, I'm seriously in "want" over this thing with the hopes it can take over grilling duties while I camp.
    • Fishwater2002
  • #41 by lamrith on 20 Nov 2017
  • I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on this one, can't stop thinking about it in fact but hoping maybe they do something additional for Black Friday. The one thing I really would have liked to see is a hopper clean out, considering this is portable it would be great to have all the pellets out of it during transport but at this price point I guess it didn't make sense. Still, I'm seriously in "want" over this thing with the hopes it can take over grilling duties while I camp.
    While it is smaller, I do not think the bullseye is meant to be their "Portable offering".  The legs do not fold at all and are not easily removed.

They have more accessories and grills planned to release moving forward and have heard a few people mention rumors about a portable unit designed for travel/tailgating.  One that will be 12V powered.
    :cool:
  • #42 by LowSlowJoe on 27 Nov 2017
  • As far as I know, based on the wording of the information that's out there, the controller merely adjusts the overall feed rate of the auger... that is, I don't believe there's actually a temperature probe or anything, it just feeds pellets in a little faster , or a little slower, depending on where you have the dial set... you will have to adjust it to the point where it produces the temperature you desire, and then hope the weather doesn't change too much while your cooking.
  • #43 by Ross77 on 27 Nov 2017
  • Sounds about right. Not sure I’d want to use it as a smoker on long cooks. Seems to be more like a grill to me.
  • #44 by lamrith on 27 Nov 2017
  • As far as I know, based on the wording of the information that's out there, the controller merely adjusts the overall feed rate of the auger... that is, I don't believe there's actually a temperature probe or anything, it just feeds pellets in a little faster , or a little slower, depending on where you have the dial set... you will have to adjust it to the point where it produces the temperature you desire, and then hope the weather doesn't change too much while your cooking.
    Sounds about right. Not sure I’d want to use it as a smoker on long cooks. Seems to be more like a grill to me.
    That is how I have understood everything they have said about it.  Knob is all about fee rate/temp, just like a gas burning grill, turn dial up, more heat.  No temp sensor or holding a specific temp.  They did it on purpose to get the plain joe gas griller into a pellet grill without the concern on setting temps etc.

While they say it can do low n slow, as mentioned, I would not want to rely on it to hold a low temp on an overnight cook.
  • #45 by Fishwater2002 on 28 Nov 2017
  • I haven’t seen any new news on the Bullseye & the site is showing that units are still a few weeks out so I guess there isn’t much to hear about until people get their hands on one but I can’t wait to see a review or two. I’ve been eyeing Kamado’s but I’m tempted to cut that budget so I can order the Bullseye AND a kamado!
    • Fishwater2002
Pages:
Actions