Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Rec Tec Bullseye  (Read 20508 times)

lamrith

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Rec Tec Bullseye
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2017, 01:11:56 PM »

I haven’t seen any new news on the Bullseye & the site is showing that units are still a few weeks out so I guess there isn’t much to hear about until people get their hands on one but I can’t wait to see a review or two. I’ve been eyeing Kamado’s but I’m tempted to cut that budget so I can order the Bullseye AND a kamado!
Last I heard they had planned to ship starting yesterday (11/27).  However I recall hearing in one livestream that they were stuck in customs here in the US port, probably delaying things a bit.

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2017, 12:55:16 PM »

On my Traeger Junior, I had put a generic PID on it, I was never really able to get the PID to hold a temperature as well as I'd like it too, and I wound up resorting to using it as a manual feed rate adjustment device.  Generally speaking, it's actually not really that big of a deal to just dial in the temperature you want, by adjusting the feed rate, then leaving it run at that feed rate.   I have done many long cook with it that way.   In some ways I prefer it actually over holding a set temperature...    As long as don't get any drastic changes in weather during the cook , there's actually very little reason to keep adjusting the feed rate of a pellet grill.  The reason , I sometimes preferred setting a feed rate and letting it go, is because what typically happens, is as the meat's internal temperature rises, the temperature inside the grill also rises... So lets say you start out at 225F, weather doesn't change much, but your big hunk of pork butt warms up inside the grill, eventually the grill temperature rises as the meat temperature rises, and by the end of the cook your grill's temperature might be up to 275F, which by that time, your meat was in a stall anyway, the additional heat helps motor through the stall...

So anyway, I actually don't see a big issue with a constant feed rate for 90% of what I cook, never been one to demand ultra tight cooking temperatures.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

lamrith

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2017, 12:26:50 PM »

Lots of reports of people having their bullseyes on the FB groups.  Anyone here got one yet and have a real hand on review?

Fishwater2002

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2017, 05:11:37 PM »

It took all the restraint I had to not order one of these so I'm pretty jealous people have them already. Now I'll somehow continue to be patient while we wait for user review's.

lamrith

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2017, 11:57:29 AM »

It took all the restraint I had to not order one of these so I'm pretty jealous people have them already. Now I'll somehow continue to be patient while we wait for user review's.
I am in the same boat, I held off over concerns about the build quality after seeing the assembly video.  Just does not have the same heavy construction of the 680/mini.  That said free shipping (nothing is ever free) which will be ~$100, makes it a $299+shipping unit.  I think it is def a value when looking at it in relation to that price point.

80%+ of the cooking I do on my 680 is actually high temp grilling, so this unit would see significant use and let the 680 handle the big smoke cooks and smoking for reverse sears.

The concern I have now is that UPS has been absolutely thrashing the units that have been going out, lots of damaged units.  However the incredible thing is that RECTEC with their typical customer 1st mentality has been sending people out brand new units to replace the damaged ones!

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2017, 01:56:08 PM »

I don't understand the whole issue of the damage, I haven't seen a photo yet of the boxes, or how it's packaged, but it's just hard to believe that UPS is mucking up a significant number of them, unless they just aren't packaged worth a darn.   I can't remember the last time I had a UPS package that was damaged.

lamrith

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2017, 02:50:54 PM »

I don't understand the whole issue of the damage, I haven't seen a photo yet of the boxes, or how it's packaged, but it's just hard to believe that UPS is mucking up a significant number of them, unless they just aren't packaged worth a darn.   I can't remember the last time I had a UPS package that was damaged.
Lots and lots of pictures on FB groups of damaged grills..  In fact there are many more posts about damaged grills that about someone just saying they got their grill..  Bad news we all know tends to get posted more often, but these are groups that love their grills and post when they get a new rub to try, so seeing such high numbers of damage reports ontop of undamaged is significant.

This time of year UPS service drops bigtime due to sheer overload and I think that is compounding things.
Honestly I do not think shipping these ups was the right choice.  UPS is terrible when packages get larger than about 14x14" square.  We see tons of UPS damage in the company I work for once the box size gets larger, regardless of the weight or packaging.  Usually things are well padded so not damage content, but with a bulky unit like a grill there is only so much padding to be done before it is so big UPS will not even take it at all...  Tough thing is the grills are only supposed to weight in the 50-60# range, so just WAYY to light for truck freight which would probably have a $150min charge, require scheduled delivery, etc..

Ross77

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2017, 03:02:28 PM »

Sounds like they need to distribute these to local retailers.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2017, 03:02:56 PM »

They don't have any.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Ross77

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2017, 03:03:52 PM »

I mean stores like Lowes or Home Depot.

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2017, 03:07:45 PM »

In an article that The Augusta Chronicle , done on Rec Tec, they claimed this grill was designed to be sold at brick and mortar stores... 

lamrith

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2017, 03:29:01 PM »

In an article that The Augusta Chronicle , done on Rec Tec, they claimed this grill was designed to be sold at brick and mortar stores...
Was that about the Matador or the bullseye?  The matador is being sold thru retail chains like Rural King.

Kelvininin

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2017, 02:32:24 PM »

I think I'll just stick to my webber kettle grill for hot and fast. 

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2017, 01:26:02 PM »

Was that about the Matador or the bullseye?  The matador is being sold thru retail chains like Rural King.

The article stated the following...   â€œBullseye,” a low-cost model designed specifically for brick-and-mortar retailers

If you want to read the article, use Google to search for the following ( title of the article )   "No Bull: Augusta company grabs pellet grill market by the horns"

Ross77

« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2017, 09:36:00 PM »

RecTec recently posted a couple videos of low and slow cooks on the Bullseye on Facebook.  They had two running, with a pork shoulder on one and a packer brisket on the other.  They claimed the temp held pretty steady all night.  Results looked good.

Looks to be a pretty versatile cooker as they grilled a bunch of burgers in another video.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up