Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Rec Tec Bullseye  (Read 20500 times)

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
Re: Rec Tec Bullseye
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2017, 11:14:58 AM »

Where does all the grease go, if your doing low and slow on a bullseye?   I don't doubt you can get the temperature relatively stable, assuming weather doesn't change drastically...  But I don't think there is a drip tray on the Bullseye... read somewhere that the grease is supposed to burn up when it hits the heat deflector thing.  Hard to imagine how much grease could get dripped down into the bottom , if you were doing like a pork shoulder or two at 225F
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

lamrith

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2017, 01:12:24 PM »

Yeah, while it "can" I def would not consider low n slow something to do often on that unit, though they did show it doing a brisket and pork shoulder last week. 
The next high temp cook would result in a pretty good fire I would think.  That said, Rectec did specifically address fires in the bullseye a few weeks back during a livestream.  They said the fires they had, the grill was no worse for wear afterwards, they built it to take the heat/fires.  I do not know if they just let them rage and burn out with top open, or closed or is they tried to douse/control the fires at all. 

The grease even from only hot grilling is a concern of mine, and about the only one giving me pause on ordering one of them.  I know how nasty the "diffusers" in propane rigs get from grease of of burgers etc even at high temp and then rust.  I am wondering about longevity of the firebox cover in the bullseye

Lack of automated temp control and grease tray as mentioned make low-n-slow problematic at best imho.  This unit was really designed to be a "gateway grill" to get gas and weber kettle guys entered into the pellet grill arena.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2018, 03:52:44 PM »

I just ordered one this morning, Sunday, 5-6-18.  I hope it gets here in a week.  I have a crowd coming for Mother's Day steaks and I can use the grilling room.

I'll try to post some cooks and impressions.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2018, 09:24:49 PM »

The 22" Weber grate fits the Bullseye. 

Has anyone tried to put the Weber Kettle rotisserie on one?  The hinged lid might be troublesome.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

GatorDave

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2018, 05:22:55 AM »

Where does all the grease go, if your doing low and slow on a bullseye?   I don't doubt you can get the temperature relatively stable, assuming weather doesn't change drastically...  But I don't think there is a drip tray on the Bullseye... read somewhere that the grease is supposed to burn up when it hits the heat deflector thing.  Hard to imagine how much grease could get dripped down into the bottom , if you were doing like a pork shoulder or two at 225F

I just received my Bullseye on Friday and did burgers and steaks on Friday and Saturday.  Then Saturday night I decided to try a butt.  I just put a pan below it to catch the grease and it worked really well.

Ralphie

« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2018, 08:47:19 AM »

Gator,
How was the overall performance for those items you cooked?
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

GatorDave

« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2018, 09:00:30 AM »

Gator,
How was the overall performance for those items you cooked?

It worked exactly as I hoped it would.  The food came off perfectly.  The butt was better (and easier) than I expected on the Bullseye, so the fact that I can use it for the low and slow was a bonus.  The food was good enough that I took my gasser to the curb and gave my 23 year old Weber to my brother.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2018, 12:41:43 PM »

I'm not confident that mine will be here by Mother's Day when I need the extra grill capacity.  I ordered it on Sunday.  The next day I had an email that it was waiting to be picked up and that I would be notified when it was.  No notice yet.

Dang!
Paul

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2018, 08:30:31 PM »

An email notice that the Bullseye has shipped was sent to me at 4:00 PM today.  It may make it here on time for the Mother's Day grilling.
Paul

Ross77

« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2018, 09:08:30 PM »

Nice.  Let us know what you think of it.

I'm still debating on a Bullseye or a Weber Performer.  Can't decide if I should have two pellet cookers or diversify with charcoal.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

glitchy

« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2018, 12:47:08 AM »

I don't understand the whole issue of the damage, I haven't seen a photo yet of the boxes, or how it's packaged, but it's just hard to believe that UPS is mucking up a significant number of them, unless they just aren't packaged worth a darn.   I can't remember the last time I had a UPS package that was damaged.

I just had a BSG bent in multilple places by them. I thought it was packaged well too.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

glitchy

« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2018, 12:52:22 AM »

I'm still debating on a Bullseye or a Weber Performer.  Can't decide if I should have two pellet cookers or diversify with charcoal.

I keep the Performer with a Slow ‘n Sear just in case of major power outage or pellet grill breakdown. I have a tip top temp too, but honestly just use Performer for steaks and burgers so far.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

GatorDave

« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2018, 05:10:37 AM »

You could use the Bullseye as a charcoal grill as well.  Just drop a different grate in the bottom and use the pellets underneath to get it started. :P

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2018, 08:34:28 PM »

An email notice that the Bullseye has shipped was sent to me at 4:00 PM today.  It may make it here on time for the Mother's Day grilling.

Nope!

Mother's Day is tomorrow and the Bullseye is in Kansas City, about four hours away, but it's scheduled to be delivered Tuesday.

The tracking says they tried to contact me for a delivery appointment.  I call BS!  They have my email address and my residence phone number with voice mail.  There's no good evidence of an attempted contact.
Paul

Ross77

« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2018, 08:38:53 PM »

Hurry up and get it so I can decide what I should get for Father’s Day.  :D
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up