Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Clonesmoker on 16 Nov 2017
  • I'm 52 and in ag sales.  Grew up on a farm. Uncle owned a locker so we had many cattle and hogs go through his locker. I'm a tweener. Some old school and new school ideas yet.

Love the WiFi on my GMG, not a lot of tech savy but those YouTube videos help out. 
  • #17 by Gringo on 16 Nov 2017
  • I'm 55 and work in IT.  My wife accuses me of being a geek and always wanting the latest in technology. 

That being said, I have a Memphis Pro that is several years old without WIFI and don't feel like I'm missing anything.
  • #18 by mrtune on 16 Nov 2017
  • At 60 I would say I'm 50/50. Have a elec. smoker that uses bluetooth. But do not see a need for it on my PG-500. Have homemade smokehouse that will hold 400+ lbs of linked sausage that I use for deer/pork sausage that is very old school and still love the flavor the sawdust makes. Been brought up pretty much old school but still love lots of the techy stuff!
  • #19 by mowin on 16 Nov 2017
  • 53, well in 14 days anyway.   Gmg has wifi but dont use it.  I enjoy the cooking process.
  • #20 by Brushpopper on 16 Nov 2017
  • I just turned 54 and the only time I use the WiFi on my GMG is to change the option of ambient temp.  I doubt I'll ever have to set it to "ICY" because if it's that cold, I ain't going to be outside cooking.  I haven't set up any profiles or saved any cooks since it seems they're all different.
  • #21 by Maineac on 16 Nov 2017
  • I am a retired 69 year old with a number of cook/smoke sources and I also have a Fireboard wifi thermometer.  The Fireboard allows me to see what's happening in my cooks no matter where I am.  Additionally, it keeps a record of the cook that is available to me no matter where I am.  I view that as a powerful cooking tool.  And one of the best aspects of it all is that Fireboard has made it wicked easy to use; you need not be a geek.

So while I find the act of cooking to be very pleasurable, I also strive for successful cooks and employ some tools in the pursuit of that end, the wifi thermometer being one of the best (for me).
  • #22 by Trooper on 16 Nov 2017
  • Old school here
    I don't enjoy being too far away from food that is cooking/smoking
    I am usually delighted by the luscious aroma of food being basted by the pellet smoke from my smoker
  • #23 by Mudflap on 16 Nov 2017
  • 51 and old school GMG standered controller.

I work in a papermill and watch the kids loose a $65000 job when on probation because they cant put the phone down. Then if they do make it then we have to watch them look at there phone all the time when they should be working from that point on.

Full disclosure: Got stuck on the side of the road one day so wife got me a tracfone with an antenna... She bought new smart phone last xmass. It sits in my glove box and I know have over 7800 min saved up.

Mudflap
  • #24 by jdmessner on 16 Nov 2017
  • I am pushing 60 and probably more old school than I would like to admit. When it comes to the pellet grill, it is definitely old school. It pre-dates hot rods!
  • #25 by SmokinHandyman on 16 Nov 2017
  • Old school here
    I don't enjoy being too far away from food that is cooking/smoking
    I am usually delighted by the luscious aroma of food being basted by the pellet smoke from my smoker

That is how I feel also.
  • #26 by TLK on 16 Nov 2017
  • I would have to say mostly old school.  at 50 years old there are still times when I like to have toys just to have them
  • #27 by cookingjnj on 16 Nov 2017
  • I am 53 work in the safety field and travel a lot.  When I am home and able to cook, it is all old school with the pellet grill.
  • #28 by ArborAgent on 16 Nov 2017
  • A pellet grill is a computer controlled wood fire oven. Can you really do old school cooking with a pellet grill?
  • #29 by Bentley on 16 Nov 2017
  • I am going to assume cooing in a modern kitchen is not too?

• #30 by Darwin on 16 Nov 2017
  • I think I will enjoy the Wi-Fi in the summer.  Standing over a grill when it's 110 in the shade isn't fun.
Pages:
Actions