Pages:
Actions
  • #46 by Bentley on 21 Jan 2019
  • I know nothing of this type tech...are you saying this is possible?

"Hey Siri, get the cook data from the Memphis and save it noting it was a Black Ops seasoned brisket at 13.1 pounds at everyone liked it" <- that would be ideal.
  • #47 by glitchy on 21 Jan 2019
  • Off the shelf, not quite yet that I'm aware of.

Something could probably be done with fairly easily Siri shortcuts and/or IFTTT (if this then that) scripts. I've also never tried to pull Memphis data from anything but the smartphone app to know if that's possible, but the Fireboard data is in the cloud. If I could get some interactive steps to work, I could easily see this:

Me: Hey Siri, log the cook

Siri: Pulls Fireboard data and responds: What did you cook?

Me: Brisket
    Siri: What did you season it with?
    Me: Black-ops rub
    Siri: Was it poor, fair, good, or great?
    Me: good
    Siri: Ok Master Glitchy, your cooking session has been saved 8)

I know nothing of this type tech...are you saying this is possible?

"Hey Siri, get the cook data from the Memphis and save it noting it was a Black Ops seasoned brisket at 13.1 pounds at everyone liked it" <- that would be ideal.
  • #48 by EC on 21 Jan 2019
  • I used my fire board a few times when I first bought my PG500.  Once I learned the zone temps and made old school notes, it mostly goes unused.  Found out very quickly I am old school as setting up the fire board and plugging in basically became unnecessary once I learned the pit.
  • #49 by Bentley on 21 Jan 2019
  • I would not be as concerned with the pit data as much as it just storing the prep & cook info.  Something to the effect...I cooked a Black Canyon 16.2 pound untrimmed brisket for 11 hours at 275° with my injection and Brand X rub. 

Is that possible?
  • #50 by glitchy on 21 Jan 2019
  • You could do that with just note dictation on about any smartphone or smart speaker.
  • #51 by Bar-B-Lew on 21 Jan 2019
  • You could do that with just note dictation on about any smartphone or smart speaker.

I use the app Note Everything to do that once in a while.  Do it frequently to store where I parked in a parking garage or new-to-me parking lot or airport parking.
  • #52 by Bentley on 21 Jan 2019
  • I have no smart phone...and does it store it in a location where I can just a say...bring up my last brisket cook?  I want Star Trek stuff...I want it that simple, I don't have time to take 90 seconds and write this in a journal, that is way to much work...
  • #53 by glitchy on 21 Jan 2019
  •  :clap: I am running a couple stops behind today I guess. I am laughing though now.

In defense, I did admit I should just take a little time to take better notes and yes I do still know how to write, but I don't get it done...

However, I DO search digital journals (gmail, quicken history, etc.) years and years after the fact looking for any kind of old data such as when did I buy X, is it still in warranty, etc. Papers and books I tend to misplace over time. Trial recipes get scribbled onto paper, keepers go into my digital recipe book.

I have no smart phone...and does it store it in a location where I can just a say...bring up my last brisket cook?  I want Star Trek stuff...I want it that simple, I don't have time to take 90 seconds and write this in a journal, that is way to much work...
  • #54 by PNWYS640 on 21 Jan 2019
  • I’m 41 and after reading some of these posts I feel dizzy. I guess I’m old school. I own a thermoworks pop. It’s pretty high tech.
  • #55 by reubenray on 22 Jan 2019
  • I am 67 and I have built a lot of my own computers and I love working with audio/video stuff.  But when I am smoking something I like to sit out there drinking a few cold ones while the smoker is doing its job.  I have a Maverick, but I do not use the bluetooth/wifi part of it.  I can get out of my chair on my patio to see what the temperatures are doing while getting another cold beer.
  • #56 by pmillen on 22 Jan 2019
  • Regarding cook note-taking:  one of our members, jimsbarbecue, wrote a nice fill-in-the-blanks program for recording and retrieving a cook's essential details.  It was available from his web site, but it appears that the site has closed.

He's not super-active on PF, but he may see this post and offer a comment.
  • #57 by Chokma on 22 Jan 2019
  • Regarding cook note-taking:  one of our members, jimsbarbecue, wrote a nice fill-in-the-blanks program for recording and retrieving a cook's essential details.  It was available from his web site, but it appears that the site has closed.

He's not super-active on PF, but he may see this post and offer a comment.

I use the program from jimsbarbecue.  It is free and has served me well for several years (especially so when I was new to the craft).
Pages:
Actions