Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying out new direct heat  (Read 2068 times)

Rolngthun

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Trying out new direct heat
« on: November 16, 2017, 07:46:35 PM »

I was looking for a way to cook things like steak with direct heat, fueled by wood of course. I do have the gas fueled sear box, and several other gas fueled grills. I know the grill is dirty, don't judge, it is used a lot. I first tried it on high. But the grill grates got hotter than what my gun will read, which is 900 degrees. So I backed down to 350. Grates were reading around 700. Threw a steak on there. Great sear marks, and the wife loved it. She said she could taste the added smoke flavor. It is a seardaddy. 

bten

• Using less gas.
Re: Trying out new direct heat
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 08:07:19 PM »

What!   :o  No Pics of the steaks?  J/K

Looks like it fits the Camp Chef Smoke Pro perfectly!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 08:10:21 PM by bten »

Fishwater2002

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 07:02:38 AM »

I was just looking at that on the website, I really like the concept but how bad were the lava rocks after the cook? I had a grill in the past with lava rocks & they would get nasty from all the fat after a few cooks.

Rolngthun

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 07:09:22 AM »

I was just looking at that on the website, I really like the concept but how bad were the lava rocks after the cook? I had a grill in the past with lava rocks & they would get nasty from all the fat after a few cooks.

I have not looked yet, after it cooled off. I am hoping the grill grates work as advertised, so it will not be an issue. Grill Grates claim to sizzle the drippings back towards the food being cooked. Time will tell.

Flboy76

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 02:59:34 PM »

did you make this or was it online order ?
Floyd Camp Chef DLX Webber Kettle

Rolngthun

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 03:05:50 PM »

I bought it. Seardaddy by Smokedaddy. Cheaper through their E-bay store than through their web site.

Saddleman

• Using less gas.
  • Vini,Vidi,Vici
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 02:06:02 PM »

It looks like a new toy that I may have to play with, give us another post after you’ve used it for a couple of months.
If you’re looking it’s not cooking.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 03:30:24 PM »

That is by far the best direct grill accessory I have ever seen,baring the lava rocks. I had lava rocks many years ago in a gasser. They worked well at defusing the flames and adding flavour, but absorbed lots of the drippings resulting in more flare-ups than

normal by todays standards..They were continuously eroding as well.

Polekitty

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 09:58:55 AM »

I was interested in this thing so I bought one. I set it in my DLX and it fits fine. It should work on any grill if the fire pot is in the middle and the depth is 19.5”. I used my Car Griller cast iron grates (3) and they to fit good.  [ Invalid Attachment ]

I used the same temp setting Rolngthun (350) used which was plenty. I threw some chicken breasts on when the temp got close and shut the lid. After a couple of minutes I opened it up to flip them and noticed that this thing is cooking just like my charcoal grill does. I left the lid opened and watched it cook. It took the same amount of time to turn them again so I don’t know if closing the lid helps speed up the cook time. Again, it cooked the same time has charcoal grill did to finish them.  [ Invalid Attachment ]

Next was a 16oz ribeye. I like them medium so so I shut the lid for 1 minute.  Opened it up and flipped it. One more minute and opened it. Flipped back and forth a couple more times leaving the lid opened and it’s done.  [ Invalid Attachment ]

I used LJ 100% mesquite pellets, but didn’t notice any flavor profile from it so I don’t know if it makes any difference which pellets are used. It never got to the temp setting I selected because of having the lid opened most of the time so it probably used a pound. I have used a gasser with lava rock and it did do the same thing CJ mentioned. I think it if you heat the grill up to a fairly high temp and let it run more a few minutes, it will cook that residual stuff off.

Overall I think this Seardaddy is a great addition to my arsenal, but this is the first time out for it so time will tell. Heck for $100 bucks it’s a great deal. I hope the pics work.

Polekitty

• Using less gas.
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 10:01:51 AM »

Well pics didn’t work out. Here’s the chicken  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 10:16:52 AM »

That would be interesting to have in my Traeger XL.  Put that on one side to cook direct and keep the other fire pot for warming section or to bake a cake at 350.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Polekitty

• Using less gas.
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 11:43:51 AM »

Do you have two fire pots inside or am I using the wrong terminology?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 11:46:44 AM »

Do you have two fire pots inside or am I using the wrong terminology?

Yes, the XL has two fire pots

MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Polekitty

• Using less gas.
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 12:38:43 PM »

Wow I had no idea they built them like that. Is trager  the only one? You could have the best of both worlds. This thing cooked with or without the lid opened so I don’t know why the CC DLX instructions say to close the lid when using it has a true grill. I get having to move the food to something that would put sear marks on it, but with this thing you don’t have to. I guess it’s to keep the cooker from dropping pellets all the time. At the 350 setting the center of the sear daddy is HOT just like the charcoal grill is. I would place my hand over the grill to check if it was ready for food on the old grill.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 12:58:58 PM »

I have not used it in about 4 years do to my move.  Just put new wheels on it this past year, but it didn't make it out of the garage.  I need to get it on the patio this spring and fire it up.  May need to  buy that thing from smokedaddy then.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up