Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Starter Pit  (Read 2434 times)

Jughead

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Starter Pit
« on: November 16, 2017, 10:59:11 PM »

I've been kicking virtual tires in the internet for 6 plus months and have definitely made up my mind which grill to buy several times. Still undecided though.

Looking for my first grill. The last one I was leaning towards was a camp chef lux.
Does anybody have any experience with grilla grills? They have piqued my interest lately also.

Not looking to spend too much (under $1000) for my first grill. We are a family of 7 although a couple of those arent much of eaters, very picky.

If I use it as much as I think I will upgrade in a couple years. Any tips or advice for a first grill?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Starter Pit
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 08:36:26 AM »

I don't closely follow pricing but it appears to me that the Blaz'n line provides good dollar value.  I think that you will be pleased with it and may never replace it.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Jughead

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 12:46:21 PM »

I don't closely follow pricing but it appears to me that the Blaz'n line provides good dollar value.  I think that you will be pleased with it and may never replace it.
Blaz'n was one that I had decided to buy in the past month or so. But didnt pull the trigger yet. I keep changing my mind but I'm sure I will be happy which ever way I go. I just like to try and get the best that I can in my price range. The Blaz'n is $1200 so that's close enough for me.

Chashub

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 05:44:22 PM »

Blazn has had a black Friday sale the past couple of years.

Old Smokey

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 05:50:32 PM »

I have a GMG Daniel Boone wifi I like a lot so I'm biased. For a family of 7 you would probably want the Jim Bowie.

Jughead

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 09:17:57 PM »

Do you recall what that entailed?

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 12:33:44 PM »

Hi Jughead.  My choice came down to the Blazin Grid Iron or Rec Tec 680.  Went with the RT 680.  Very happy with my choice, and think I would have been equally happy with the Blazin.  Don't think you can go wrong with either pit.

Jughead

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 12:45:18 PM »

Hi Jughead.  My choice came down to the Blazin Grid Iron or Rec Tec 680.  Went with the RT 680.  Very happy with my choice, and think I would have been equally happy with the Blazin.  Don't think you can go wrong with either pit.
Honestly those have been my top 2 choices. But I have been putting a lot of thought into the Grilla Silverbak. They also seem to have a lot of loyal followers. Would love to see a good hands on comparison.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 12:48:03 PM by Jughead »

rfdong

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 06:43:03 PM »

There’s so many great choices out there.  I hemmed and hawed for a year before I pulled the trigger.  Decided on a Rec Tec as I decided to spend a little more than on a really basic model (never owned one before).  Liked that the controller seemed better than the basic model but was a only a few hundred more.  It’s solid and so far I really like it and have cooked some awesome food.  Can’t say enough about their service as well.  I had a small issue with the controller, it worked fine but I could scroll through some other “settings/numbers” that weren’t supposed to be there.  They sent me a new controller out right away even thought the unit worked fine.  I thought about spending more, but having never owned one was a bit hesitant to do so.  The Rec Tec fell right in the middle from a size and feature standpoint and generally has very positive reviews.

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 09:28:43 PM »

I ended up with the RecTec 680 after going back and forth for a couple months.  I also considered the Blazn and Yoder.  In the end, the price, warranty and size sold me on the RecTec.  I've been happy with it except for the ignitor rod failures.  Although they now include the ceramic ignitor standard.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 11:47:00 PM »

Do you recall what that entailed?

Local Blaz'n Dealer told me today that they have been authorized for Black Friday to sell Grand Slams or Grid Irons and give away (1) WiFi or (2) Insulation kit, sear kit and cover.  They are limited to eight units total with that deal.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Fishwater2002

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 07:29:34 PM »

I’m really impressed with my Camp Chef Smoke Pro DLX, easy ash clean out, hopper clean out & rock solid temps, it just flat out works. They have the larger Lux version for a bigger grill, they also have an optional sear box propane side burner so you can cook some hamburgers, hot dogs or sear your steak for a reverse sear.

If you buy the Cabela’s version you get a few added features & lifetime warranty. I looked at the GMG, Traeger, Pit Boss & Louisiana Grills in person, the quality was the same so I went with the Camp Chef knowing I could add the sear box (which I just ordered this morning) You’d be well under your target of $1000 as well.

Jughead

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 07:41:24 PM »

Looks like I will be waiting for a few more months. I get to replace the transmission in the wifes car instead. Thanks for all the info everybody much appreciated.

silverbullet

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 11:08:23 PM »

Looks like I will be waiting for a few more months. I get to replace the transmission in the wifes car instead. Thanks for all the info everybody much appreciated.

If your in a pinch & not far from Central Wisconsin, I have a rarely used GMG Jim Bowie complete with a winter Blanket & top shelf & a stainless hood. For sale. PM me
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:14:07 PM by silverbullet »
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24

Jughead

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 11:33:26 PM »

If your in a pinch & not far from Central Wisconsin, I have a rarely used GMG Jim Bowie complete with a winter Blanket & top shelf & a stainless hood. For sale. PM me
Thank you I appreciate it. I'm in Southern California. I can survive a couple more months

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up