Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Salmon/Fish Glaze Recipe  (Read 2985 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Salmon/Fish Glaze Recipe
« on: November 17, 2017, 01:12:31 PM »

As I find the taste of salmon , arctic char and rainbow trout very strong,I had to come up with a way to make them palatable. Fish was a lacking part of our diets.  The following recipe did it..Before,eating fish was a struggle and now it is sometimes as good as a good steak.

- Equal parts: Butter/Maple syrup/Grainy mustard..~ 1 TBS/each - for two people.

- Half part:Soy sauce.. ~ 1/2 TBS..

- Place in a small heat resistant glass bowl and heat ~ 10 seconds in the microwave, stir to blend and apply to the cooked fish..Any left over goes well with potatoes or vegetables..

The ratios don't have to be exact. Equal parts work just as well for us..

Maineac

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Central Maine
Re: Salmon/Fish Glaze Recipe
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 02:10:54 PM »

Gonna try it, John.  Once I took some smoked salmon to my inlaws for Thanksgiving.  I also brought along a squeeze bottle of Roxy's mustard sauce for them to try on pulled pork.  I left them both on the kitchen island and went off socializing.  Came back in a half hour and people were putting the Roxy's on the salmon and liking it a lot.  Something else you might want to try.  Thanks for posting your recipe.
Dean                   MAK 1-Star #184  - Weber Spirit E-310 - Weber Performer - 2 X Bradley OBS
- When you share a great recipe you make the world a better place -

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 02:15:24 PM »

That sounds different. Should give it a try!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 04:05:47 PM »

That boarders on heresy...

...Before,eating fish was a struggle and now it is sometimes as good as a good steak.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 08:32:28 PM »

I don't care for those fish a little bit, and for the same reason.  I did find that strong sauces or glazes made with red wine reductions, mustard or acids made the fish more palatable.  Tarragon, chervil, fill and fennel all work well with Salmonidae. 

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 12:44:25 PM »

Thanks for the tip John.  Will have to try it.  The wife and I do eat a lot of salmon, and this would be a twist off of one of our favorites.  If you like a pepper flavor.
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon Cracked Pepper seasoning (we get ours from Wegmans, but pretty sure McCormicks has something similar-- and must be others around)
Maple syrup

Mix the brown sugar and cracked pepper seasoning.  Brush the salmon with maple syrup and sprinkle seasoning on the salmon (as much or as little as you like depending on how you like pepper).  Gives a slight sweet taste off set by the pepper.

It is good, but does not come close to a nice reverse seared ribeye!

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 01:07:11 PM »

So I must interject...

I live in the epicenter of 'pacific' Salmonidae. That center includes many different types of salmon. All are similar, and all are different.

Sockeye
Chinook
Coho
Chum
Pink

I can't speak of other ocean species as I'm a bit local born and bred.

I can tell you that each of these variants has different qualities when it comes to taste and cooking. It's a vast scenario with no limits for serving. 

lumping all salmon into one category is ignorant.

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Osborn Cox

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 03:57:32 PM »

The one I made up is very similar to yours, I add some sesame oil, balsamic, and lemon juice.
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

Vision

• Using less gas.
  • Baltimore, Maryland
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 05:42:09 PM »

Thanks I eat a lot of salmon.
Mak 1 Star Blackstone 36 WSM 18 Weber OTG

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 06:01:43 PM »

So I must interject...

I live in the epicenter of 'pacific' Salmonidae. That center includes many different types of salmon. All are similar, and all are different.

Sockeye
Chinook
Coho
Chum
Pink

I can't speak of other ocean species as I'm a bit local born and bred.

I can tell you that each of these variants has different qualities when it comes to taste and cooking. It's a vast scenario with no limits for serving. 

lumping all salmon into one category is ignorant.

I guess I am ignorant and I take offense.  I know of two types of salmon in my reality unless I hit the lottery.  The expensive wild caught and the farm raised Atlantic.  Who knows what that means.  I live in the desert and top quality fresh flown in daily from 'special' Salmonidae salmon is $30 a lb, maybe more, so I'm ignorant about the fish in Salmon Town, maybe I spelled that wrong.  I might be ignorant about salmon, but I buy what I can get.  I smoke it, I vacupack fillet pieces, and I fry it in a pan. And I have poached and baked it too.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 07:15:33 PM by Conumdrum »
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 10:01:21 PM »

I think the rude statement about ignorance was aimed at me and I really don't give a xxxx.  I have caught, cleaned, cooked, tasted and served numerous species of this family and I stand by my opinions of them.  I don't care for the taste.

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 12:01:25 PM »

Before y'all get yer knickers twisted...

Calling out all salmon as yucky is no better than calling out all cow as well.

Ignorance is the lack of research and 'typically' the unwillingness to do so. My post was no different than any other that bashes a product because they had a bad experience.

That said... my post will stand. Trust me; I get a lottta xxxxxx fish out here when I should get the cream of the catch. I don't, and the prices are little better than anywhere else in the country.  >:(

Sorry if any of you were offended by my wording. It was not meant to be divisive.

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?
Pages: [1]   Go Up