Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How did you get involved or introduced to pellet grilling  (Read 3338 times)

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
How did you get involved or introduced to pellet grilling
« on: August 27, 2017, 12:02:21 PM »

With me it was a total accident, I walked into a hot tub store just killing time looking at barbeques and walked out with the Memphis Elite. That salesman had me sucked in right away.  I liked it so much I had to buy a second one for high heat grilling. What's your story?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 12:14:02 PM by Quadman750 »
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: How did you get involved or introduced to pellet grilling
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 12:10:29 PM »

I first found 1# bags of pellets in different flavors at Walmart on markdown in Sep/Oct timeframe.  Used to use them in tin foil or a smoker box in my Webers.  When I ran out, I found them by the 40# bag on samsclub.com.  When I ran out of those, I found out they were made by Traeger.  I then found out about this thing called a pellet grill.  Found a local dealer in Northern IL who let me borrow a Traeger Elite for two weekends over an Easter weekend.  I cooked for the whole neighborhood.  I bought a Traeger XL from him.  Somehow I stumbled on a forum about pellet cooking.  They had some performance tests.  I then bought a Memphis Elite.  Read some more performance tests, and bought a MAK 2 Star.  Guess I've been cooking on these things for 6-7 years now. 
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 12:13:30 PM »

I went into a grill and fireplace shop to show a friend an infrared grill that has a thousand tiny flames below the meat.  The salesperson showed me a GMG and raved about it.  I landed on pelletheads.com by Internet searching. 

I read several performance tests and "Tips and Tricks" sections from the oldest to the newest in an attempt to determine which pit best fit what I thought my needs were.  I finally settled on my choice and bought it.  It was about $1500.  If Marcia could have picked it up she would have hit me over the head with it.

The fact that we've been married 53 years is a testament to her willingness to forgive. 

I'm about to test it again.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Quadman750

• North of the border
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 12:16:41 PM »

Just think if Bentley got commissions on all the pits sold because of all the performance tests he did. Bentley I think you would be a very rich dude.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 12:22:18 PM »

Just think if Bentley got commissions on all the pits sold because of all the performance tests he did. Bentley I think you would be a very rich dude.

Yeah, instead it was money out of our own pockets for meats, pellets and electricity.  Bent even delivered several pits for free to folks that got them using his own gas money. Wish I could say that the meat went to us, but we don't really eat much brisket, pulled pork or even pork ribs any more, so a lot of stuff went to work.  I had very happy co-workers though.

Quadman750

• North of the border
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 12:35:05 PM »

I may just have to apply for a job there. :P

Trooper

• Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 12:48:12 PM »

Well I just covered most of this in the Get Introduced section, so take a jump over there and get caught up with my comments.
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 12:56:50 PM »

A few years ago we had a give-away at werk for a Traeger Jr. I'd not heard of them till then.

I was getting tired of babysitting my WSM, and started some researching. This was about 4 years ago, and the number of smokers were few (in my price range). I took the plunge on Amazon, and haven't looked back.

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Queball

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 06:43:27 PM »

I tried for years to smoke stuff with a gas grill but it wasn't the real deal. One weekend I was invited to a barbecue for pulled pork. The guy had a stick burner and the pork he made was really good. I started talking "Cue" with him and he inquired if I had heard about pellet cookers, since he was tired of tending fires. Came home searched pellets and up came Bentley's PG500 test. I was instantly hooked! Sold a valuable guitar I had, and used some of the money to buy one. Have never looked back and have never been happier with my purchase.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 08:03:00 PM »

Sold a valuable guitar I had, and used some of the money to buy one.

Wow!  Huge gamble.  I've heard of hocing an axe for food, but this...
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 01:10:14 AM »

I was at a friends wedding in 1997, the caterer was using Traeger 075's If you can imagine.  I was still drinking in those days, so I drank instead of ate.

But I had a Buddy that was so impressed with the food he bought one, then another.  Well, late that year I had some of Tommy's Dry Rub Baby Back Ribs...Still hard to say, but rigorist honesty and all that.  I have been competing for over 15 years, have a few 1st in Ribs and 3 Grand Championships in that time...and to this day, I have never had a better BB Rib!  The guy had been cookin BBQ for 2 weeks!

Bought my 1st Traeger in 2002 and here we are!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 07:23:00 AM »

I accidentally stumbled onto a site with someone named Bentley and his performance test on a GMG DB, after checking reviews decided it was affordable and had some good features, two years later did my 1st competition with the GMG and haven't looked back since. 
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

TLK

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 08:49:04 AM »

I was designing an outdoor kitchen and really wanted a smoker to be part of it (not just sitting off to the side).  Pellet grill seemed like a better fit so I started researching and found the other site.  Eventually settled on the Yoder and the rest is history
YS640 Silver Spring, MD  Happy Wife - Happy Life!

InThePitBBQ

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 10:06:21 AM »

As a died in the wool stick burner I was looking for a faster alternative for home use, ate a chicken dinner prepared on a cheap pellet unit from Menards cooked with hickory pellets and it struck me as one of the best tasting half chickens I'd ever had.

I bought a Pit Boss, took it home and quickly learned I loved cooking with pellets but the quality wasn't what I was needing and the research for a serious unit began and I wound up reading Bentley's performance test threads and settled on the PG 500 and we love it!

After 30+ years of stick burning with oak and cherry it was a real treat to be able to start using hickory pellets, there's just something about the flavor profile that takes my favorite recipes to that next level stick burning never did.

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 02:18:06 PM »

For me, it was at a Traeger road show, at Costco, around 2011 or 12...   It had been years since I had cooked with wood, I knew nothing about pellets, or pellet grills.   Bought a Junior a few days later, that was all I could afford...   Learned a lot since then, with the help of a lot of good folk, like those around here.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up