Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 18 Nov 2017
  •  That is; Salt-( Kosher)/Pepper-( freshly ground)/Garlic-(powder).   As there several variations I decided to give them a try..The first was the BBQ Pit Boys recipe,long gone since they started" selling" SPG . Their salt/pepper/ garlic ratio is:7/2/1.. Way too salty by my.. The ratio's are by volume.

I ended up with a 1/1/1 ratio..It is the only one I use on beef - that is one side..I grind pepper onto the first side, pat it in, turn and apply the S P G to the other..

I am trying to reduce my rub pantry down to a very few as I found I am only using 3 to 4 different rubs. Even the latest ,a super coffee rub has taken a back seat to S P G.
  • #2 by Quadman750 on 18 Nov 2017
  • My go to for brisket is salt & pepper. Stopped using all others.
  • #3 by StevenM on 18 Nov 2017
  • My favourite is SPGO

Do you guys get much onion powder or flakes on that side of the world?
    • StevenM
  • #4 by Brushpopper on 18 Nov 2017
  • I'm using SPG more often than not.  Especially on beef.  And I will throw a few onion flakes on when I can find them in the cabinet.  My wife seems to need to rearrange everything regularly.  Drives me bonkers.  Especially when I'm cooking something she requests
  • #5 by Canadian John on 19 Nov 2017
  •  StevenM:  We colonialists do have onions, yes..  Onion,powder or flakes sounds like a good touch.
  • #6 by Saddleman on 04 Jan 2018
  • I have a SGP 4 salt, 2 granulated garlic, 1 pepper I use this on red meat and pork. I have changed out pepper for poultry seasoning when I cook chicken and turkey. My bride (the wolverine) is picky she love the poultry rub. Keep smoking Dan
  • #7 by pmillen on 05 Jan 2018
  • I have a SGP 4 salt, 2 granulated garlic, 1 pepper I use this on red meat and pork. I have changed out pepper for poultry seasoning when I cook chicken and turkey. My bride (the wolverine) is picky she love the poultry rub. Keep smoking Dan

This interests me.  I'm assuming you use a commercial poultry seasoning.  Which one?

BTW, pound for pound, those wolverines are tough.
  • #8 by Saddleman on 05 Jan 2018
  •  I get the poultry seasoning from my local health food store.

Yes my bride of 40 years can be a little critical of my cooking, so I’m always trying.
Pages:
Actions