Poll: Not a Cell phone, but a Smart Phone?

Yes.
No.

Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by scdaf on 19 Nov 2017
  • Bentley, you may want to check Tracfone.  They have several smart phones .  Mine, a Samsung  Galaxy Grand Prime (modestly named) was about $100 and does all the smart phone stuff, which I rarely use, but it's nice to have it available.  Driving directions, check Craigslist in a remote location, track garage sales etc.  Once a year, I get a new prepaid card for $100 and that is more time than I'll ever use.
  • #17 by Free Mr. Tony on 19 Nov 2017
  • I agree with you Jim, and that is what I have.  I am even prepaid...but I would have one in a Heartbeat if I was not such a cheap screw!

You can get one on eBay or Craigslist for a fraction of that. It will be used, but they are so prevalent that most look like brand new. You could get a nice phone for 100-150, maybe less. You would then need a monthly data package, which may be a deal breaker for you.

Also, like ksu, I am attached to mine with an iron grip. Wouldn't know what to do without it. Certainly wouldn't be on these forums much if I had to be at a desk to view them.
  • #18 by hughver on 19 Nov 2017
  • Bent, most phones have a GPS so you will never get lost going out to your grill.   ;D
  • #19 by pmillen on 19 Nov 2017
  • I'd rather leave home without my wallet than without my smartphone (of course I have Apple Pay).
  • #20 by Kristin Meredith on 19 Nov 2017
  • What is Apple Pay?
  • #21 by pmillen on 19 Nov 2017
  • What is Apple Pay?

It's a digital wallet.  The iPhone has one or more credit cards or debit cards registered in the application.  Users pay at a point of sale CC reader by putting their smartphone near it.  It operates on Near Field Communication (somewhat like Bluetooth—those ID cards that you swipe across a sensor to open a secure door are the same).
  • #22 by jdmessner on 19 Nov 2017
  • Bentley, you may want to check Tracfone.  They have several smart phones .  Mine, a Samsung  Galaxy Grand Prime (modestly named) was about $100 and does all the smart phone stuff, which I rarely use, but it's nice to have it available.  Driving directions, check Craigslist in a remote location, track garage sales etc.  Once a year, I get a new prepaid card for $100 and that is more time than I'll ever use.

I went the same route as scdaf and agree with the assesment. It's great because you can connect to wifi without using any of your minutes and can get most any ap you want. I can talk with my daughter in Italy on video for free. That in and of itself is worth it. There are no monthly payments. The phone was around $100 and I'll spend less than that for minutes over the course of a year. The only reason I upgraded was because my old trac phone quit working and I could no longer get updates for it. This one has been great, wish I had done it earlier.
  • #23 by Bentley on 19 Nov 2017
  • It is the data that would cost so much.  I may use my cell phone 5 times a year for calls.  It is simply for emergencies.  And if I had a smart phone, all I would want to use it for is data, and I imagine that is cheap screw deal breaker!
  • #24 by Kristin Meredith on 19 Nov 2017
  • What is Apple Pay?

It's a digital wallet.  The iPhone has one or more credit cards or debit cards registered in the application.  Users pay at a point of sale CC reader by putting their smartphone near it.  It operates on Near Field Communication (somewhat like Bluetooth—those ID cards that you swipe across a sensor to open a secure door are the same).

Thanks.  Once I learn Greek, I am sure I will be able to translate and understand what you have just told me. ;D 

I am so technological out of it that I am very afraid that in 5 years or less, I simply will not be able to function in society.  I read that in one of the Scandinavian countries (or maybe all), you can no longer use cash or a check to purchase anything.  But when global warming causes the next ice age, at least we have fire wood to barter!!!
  • #25 by jdmessner on 20 Nov 2017
  • It is the data that would cost so much.  I may use my cell phone 5 times a year for calls.  It is simply for emergencies.  And if I had a smart phone, all I would want to use it for is data, and I imagine that is cheap screw deal breaker!

Depending on how you use it data doesn't need to cost too much. With a TracFone you purchase phone use and mobile data. No monthly fee or plan. If you have wifi or go someplace where they offer wifi it will not use any of the data that you pay for. Using it at home is great, it hooks into our wifi network and is secure. My wife watches a lot of movies on her phone and does stuff on the internet with her phone all the time and she is not using any of her data.

However, if you are using a public connection it is a bit different story and may or may not be a deal breaker. Some people don't like using a public access connection. Most places will have you sign in, so they are somewhat password protected and secure. If I use a public wifi connection it is usually for a very short period of time. It boils down to what you think is an acceptable risk and you can control most of the risk.

If there is no wifi and you need to make a connection, then you will burn a lot of mobile data (just ask my son).
  • #26 by Bobitis on 20 Nov 2017
  • I'm in the Meredith's camp. 

I have a smart phone and it sits on the table unless I'm out and about. I truly hate driving, so 'going somewhere' means werk or the store. I take the phone for emergency purposes.

I can't imagine anything more dangerous than purchasing something with a card over the mobile network. There's nothing I need so desperately that it needs to be purchased NOW!

• #27 by pmillen on 20 Nov 2017
  • I can't imagine anything more dangerous than purchasing something with a card over the mobile network. There's nothing I need so desperately that it needs to be purchased NOW!

Agreed for the most part.  Auto fuel and pellets come immediately to mind as exceptions.  There are undoubtedly others that I would purchase NOW!
  • #28 by GrillinGlen on 20 Nov 2017
  • I have a cell phone mostly so my wife can keep me updated via text on whats happening through out the day, I hate being bombarded with a days worth of drama the second I come home.  The primary reason I have a smart phone is so I can goof around on the internet and pelletfan.  No social media for me.  I could survive easily with a flip phone, or a land line and email
  • #29 by dclord on 20 Nov 2017
  • I have had one for a number of years now, and the feature I use the least is the phone part. I read news, facebook, and of course this forum. I google a lot, get directions, and if I'm out and about I use yelp to find a place to eat.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

• #30 by yorkdude on 20 Nov 2017
  • Siri on an I phone is pretty slick. Hold the button down and ask her to call so and so, text so and so, directions, scores, what's on Fox News tonight, weather or anything. We thought we would not use it, we were wrong.
    Don't know who pays her, I am betting it is buried somewhere in the "fine print " but dang she is really smart.
Pages:
Actions