Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Poll

Not a Cell phone, but a Smart Phone?

Yes.
No.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you own a Smart Phone?  (Read 3772 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Do you own a Smart Phone?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2017, 07:30:38 PM »

Siri on an I phone is pretty slick. Hold the button down and ask her to call so and so, text so and so, directions, scores, what's on Fox News tonight, weather or anything. We thought we would not use it, we were wrong.
Don't know who pays her, I am betting it is buried somewhere in the "fine print " but dang she is really smart.

Ask "her" what music is playing and "she'll" listen and identify it.  I removed Shazam.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2017, 07:55:10 PM »

Ask "her" what music is playing and "she'll" listen and identify it.  I removed Shazam.

Really? I knew she was smart but had no idea.
Never heard of shazam, our kids talked us into these and while frustrating if you're Dum-dums like us, once you start to get the hang of it they are pretty neat.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2017, 10:30:53 PM »

Never heard of shazam...

It's a music identifying App.  It identifies the music the microphone picks up.  You can press a button and it downloads it.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

silverbullet

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2017, 10:47:36 PM »

If I want to know something, or know the spelling of something I just ask it. Its smarter than most humans. And mine is "Old" A Samsung 5
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24

ArborAgent

• Hank Hill would be so disappointed in me.
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2017, 11:04:41 PM »

Absolutely, I can do my job from anywhere with it.

There's something wonderful about having the collected knowledge of our species at my beck and call.

Rec Tec Bull Blaze Gas Grill Weber Master Touch

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2017, 07:52:40 AM »

I asked Siri this morning if I was smart & she replied "no comment"  :-[
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

riverrat49

• "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2017, 08:18:59 AM »

SIRI told me when asked if I was Smart "I couldn't Say"  When asked if SIRI was smart the rely was " A wise man once said I'm Smart "SMRT"

:rotf:
I asked Siri this morning if I was smart & she replied "no comment"  :-[
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2017, 01:53:30 PM »

I see I was pretty close with my est. of 85%...

So what is the % of apps that are free as opposed to those you have to pay for?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2017, 02:18:53 PM »

Probably about 85%-90% free depending on what you would use it for.  I think games are a mix of free and paid.  Free usually has advertisements and paid does not or less.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

dclord

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2018, 05:29:10 PM »

The only app I ever paid for was for designing and managing beer brewing recipes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2018, 06:28:59 PM »

I bought a used SamsungS6 Active off of Letgo and app on the smart phone. I use Straight talk I have unlimited everything and I thing I get 5Gigs of 4G data before it lowers. I had a Sony Z2 before and the reception is far better with the same service with my Samsung. It runs off of AT&T towers. Costs me 45 bucks a month, My girlfriend has and Iphone through At&T and I get better reception than she does in many places. A lot of places have WiFi so you are not using you data that often and if you have internet at home with WiFi you are go there.

Most of the Apps seem to be free although some have adds in them I guess to help pay for the free part, some don't, I have used it with my GMG grill and it works well.

AS said craigslist, Amazon, if you are on Facebook they have local yardsale or classified pages, and I have bought off of Swappa.com

You can get a decent phone in the Iphone 6 or 7 or the equal samsung for 150-250 or thta is the prices I see locally.

W6YJ

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2018, 08:44:56 PM »

Another possibility if you are 'well seasoned' like me is T-Mobile's One 55+ unlimited plan if their coverage is good in your area.
When I signed up it was $60 per month for two lines. I just looked and they've raised the price to $70 for two lines. Still pretty cheap at $35 per line.

The 'unlimited' is at 4G speeds until you've used 50GB in one month (per line) and then it is throttled back to lower speeds for the rest of the month. So far, I've never gotten throttled.

Service plus either a used smart phone or a relatively low cost new smartphone like the Motorola Moto G5 Plus for $200 and you're all set.

Ed

ZCZ

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2018, 09:11:35 PM »

Late to the discussion but I rarely use it as an actual "phone."  I do all my posting on Pellet Fan with it.

Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

Mudflap

• Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2018, 10:05:54 PM »

Bentley, you may want to check Tracfone.  They have several smart phones .  Mine, a Samsung  Galaxy Grand Prime (modestly named) was about $100 and does all the smart phone stuff, which I rarely use, but it's nice to have it available.  Driving directions, check Craigslist in a remote location, track garage sales etc.  Once a year, I get a new prepaid card for $100 and that is more time than I'll ever use.

I went the same route as scdaf and agree with the assesment. It's great because you can connect to wifi without using any of your minutes and can get most any ap you want. I can talk with my daughter in Italy on video for free. That in and of itself is worth it. There are no monthly payments. The phone was around $100 and I'll spend less than that for minutes over the course of a year. The only reason I upgraded was because my old trac phone quit working and I could no longer get updates for it. This one has been great, wish I had done it earlier.

I said yes but..

I have a Tracfone. Wife upgraded me from non-flip with pull out antenna last Xmass. At the time I had over 7000 min built up. I think it is a LG. They have some on sale for under $40. I use mine about 2 times a month. I find myself using it at the house like they say connected to free WiFi more often now.

I am a cheap screw also. I tell the younger guys at work that over the last 10 yrs I bought and paid in full, a Master craft Ski boat for the price they payed for there phones for there families....
Then they do the math.... :rotf:

Mudflap
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG

smokin soon

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2018, 11:17:09 PM »

I have an inexpensive Motorola that does what I need. Being semi retired, I switched over to a low use provider [Ting] that fits my needs. I turn data off completely as the clients I deal with all have Wi-Fi. I don't really need email or anything else while I'm away from Wi-Fi. My bills are usually $12-$19 a month. Most of my home use is recipes, Tappecue and a couple card games. I prefer a full screen for forum use.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up