Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: No Glaze Meatloaf  (Read 8285 times)

Maineac

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Central Maine
No Glaze Meatloaf
« on: November 19, 2017, 02:44:30 PM »

I had never been totally happy with any meatloaf I'd eaten as an adult, but up to 2010, when I retired, I had never been interested in cooking such things either.  It seems to me that most people who make meatloaf want to throw as few ingredients as possible into a bowl, mix it up some, form a loaf, cover it with a ketchup concoction, and cook it.  They want to spend as little time as possible in the kitchen and I understand that. 

Anyway, now that I cook some, I usually want what I'm cooking to be the best that I can deliver and that almost always involves extra time.  I have the time so I'll spend it as I know many others here do.  So for the better part of a year I struggled to create a decent meatloaf, one that required no glaze, one that needed only salt and pepper for adjustments.  I didn't do very well with this challenge until I started introducing elements of my meatball recipe.  Then it came together pretty quickly.

There are 18 ingredients, BUT... I always make a double batch which yields 4 loaves that I slice, vacuum seal, and freeze.  This will be 8 meals for the wife and me.  So the time it takes is well worth it.  And this is the best meatloaf that we have ever had and it has never had any embellishments other than salt and pepper.  I hope someone here tries it and likes it as much as we do.

The players -

I sweat the veggies in bacon fat -

Mix all the ingredients.  Using stuffing mix for the panade allows you to work it as much as you want without it becoming too dense. -

Make 4 loaves (double recipe) in small loaf tins and cool in the fridge until firm. -

On the MAK ready for some smoke -

Finally at temp -

Ready to slice -

My wife's homemade salsa is so good that we sometimes eat it as a veg. side.  Time to eat -

Oh Yeah -

No Glaze Meatloaf

*   1 pound ground beef (80% lean)
*   1 pound Jimmy Dean Regular sausage (see note)
*   4 oz prosciutto chopped fine
*   1 cup Italian or herb seasoned stuffing mix
*   1 cup buttermilk
*   ½-3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
*   ½-3/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper (or green)
*   ½ cup finely chopped celery
*   2 extra large eggs beaten
*   1 ounce finely chopped flat leaf parsley (approx.1/2 cup)
*   1 cup grated parmesan reggiano cheese
*   1 teaspoon salt
*   1 teaspoon black pepper
*   4 teaspoons dried basil
*   2 teaspoons dried oregano
*   1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
*   4 cloves minced garlic (20-30g)
*   ½ teaspoon Accent (or not)

Gather all ingredients.  Combine the stuffing mix and buttermilk and let set for at least 10 minutes.  Sweat the onion and pepper in your choice of oil (I use bacon fat) for maybe 5-7 min. on med high heat.  In a large bowl mix all ingredients well.  Divide the mixture into two and form each into a loaf shape.  I use a plastic lined small loaf tin.  Put in fridge at least an hour to firm up before removing from tin.  Cook in your cooker of choice at 350* to an internal temperature of 155-160 degrees.  I usually cook a while at a lower temp to give it some smoke and then turn it up.

Note - Because I cook a double batch I use 1 pound of Jimmy Dean Regular and 1 pound of JD Hot and split them.  This adds an element of heat which we enjoy.  If I did a single batch today and wanted some heat I would probably add ½ teaspoon of cayenne, but it is great as is.

Thanks for looking.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 03:25:43 PM by Maineac »
Dean                   MAK 1-Star #184  - Weber Spirit E-310 - Weber Performer - 2 X Bradley OBS
- When you share a great recipe you make the world a better place -

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: No Glaze Meatloaf
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 02:50:10 PM »

Oh yeah is right!  I love meatloaf (comfort food) and it's so much better on the pit.  Yours looks spectacular.

An excellent write-up, too.

Thanks.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 03:12:08 PM »

Very nice tutorial and appreciate all the pictures.  There are many elements is your meatloaf which are similar to mine, although not quite as many veggies and a 3 to 1 beef to sausage ratio for me.  Thanks for posting!

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 03:18:04 PM »

Woe is me... I bow down to the master.  :-[
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 06:49:26 PM »

Looks great Maineac, I never would have tried cooking without it being in a pan.   :clap:

Maineac

• Central Maine
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 06:56:06 PM »

Oh yeah is right!  I love meatloaf (comfort food) and it's so much better on the pit.  Yours looks spectacular.

An excellent write-up, too.

Thanks.

Paul, it is great comfort food, one of the best.  One of the things I have done with it is cook it in a cylindrical shape so that I could slice off rounds to use on hamburger buns.  A slice of cheese, tomato, or whatever, maybe some horsey sauce, and you've got an awesome sandwich.

Thanks for the comments.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 04:42:19 PM by Maineac »
Dean                   MAK 1-Star #184  - Weber Spirit E-310 - Weber Performer - 2 X Bradley OBS

Maineac

• Central Maine
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 07:06:21 PM »

Looks great Maineac, I never would have tried cooking without it being in a pan.   :clap:

I have cooked them in a pan but only when it was bad weather and then only once.  I like having all the surfaces exposed for the smoke and getting a good crust (not really bark).  The loaf stays plenty moist.
Thanks for the comments.

Quadman750

• North of the border
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 07:14:48 PM »

Those look unbelievable.
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 08:06:21 PM »

Wow, round meatloaf!   That must get a few comments!  Very cool.   :clap:

Maineac

• Central Maine
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 08:20:10 AM »

There are many elements is your meatloaf which are similar to mine, although not quite as many veggies and a 3 to 1 beef to sausage ratio for me.

I tried a 2:1 beef to sausage ratio (like my meatballs) but I am really partial to Jimmy Dean sausage.  I have tried to make a clone several times and I have come up with some very good sausage but it is not JD.  The last time I tried, I was buying a pound of ground pork and found that it was like 20% more expensive than JD.  Duh!  Experimentation has ceased.
Thanks for the nice comments.

GREG-B

• Washougal WA
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 11:30:59 AM »

FINALLY a meatloaf recipe worth trying and without that dreaded ketchup topping.   Will try this in the very near future.   Thanks Maineac.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 12:03:30 PM »

THAT's my kinda meatloaf (though the ingredients differ a bit). I usually make about 4-6 bread pans worth at a time.

I mix the ingredients the day before, load the pans and let fridge over night. They come out cold and are easily plopped on your mesh of choice. I typically smoke mine on low for a couple hrs, then bump the temp to 225 for the remainder. I may apply ketchup at the end because I see it as more traditional. French fries werk with ketchup after all. And it's not so much that it overpowers anything. Loaf and mashed taters with gray will quickly dissolve the ketchup taste. And loaf on a bun will still have a hint of sweet/tart on the sammich.

Rolled is something I've not tried and like the concept.

I think the bottom line is everyone loves a good loaf. Mix and match to yer hearts content, and it'll likely turn out wonderful. After all... why would you put something in a loaf you didn't like?  ::)

Thanks Maineac.  :lick:

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Maineac

• Central Maine
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 03:48:07 PM »

FINALLY a meatloaf recipe worth trying and without that dreaded ketchup topping.   Will try this in the very near future.   Thanks Maineac.

You're welcome.  Please let us know what you think.

hokiepop

• Using less gas.
  • West Point, VA
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 06:54:50 AM »

I used this recipe last night and cooked it on my Kuma grill.  I goofed up and put double the amount of parsley in the mix and I was worried the parsley might overpower the meat.  The extra parsley did not affect the flavor at all.   One thing my wife and I noticed was that the meatloaf was a little salty and I think it was because of the prosciutto.  One tsp of salt is not very much at all for 2 pounds of meat.   We both agreed that the meatloaf was delicious and I think the next time I make it I will just eliminate the teaspoon of salt.  Thanks for sharing the recipe-its a winner!

Maineac

• Central Maine
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 07:09:26 AM »

I used this recipe last night and cooked it on my Kuma grill.  I goofed up and put double the amount of parsley in the mix and I was worried the parsley might overpower the meat.  The extra parsley did not affect the flavor at all.   One thing my wife and I noticed was that the meatloaf was a little salty and I think it was because of the prosciutto.  One tsp of salt is not very much at all for 2 pounds of meat.   We both agreed that the meatloaf was delicious and I think the next time I make it I will just eliminate the teaspoon of salt.  Thanks for sharing the recipe-its a winner!

I'm glad you liked it.  Thank goodness parsley is very forgiving!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up