Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first tri tip  (Read 1212 times)

Flboy76

• Using less gas.
My first tri tip
« on: November 20, 2017, 03:21:32 PM »

I finally found a tri tip on the east coast!  At first glance, it did not look like a trip tip that others have posted {boomerang shape}, but it said tri-tip, 2.73lbs at $7.69@lbs. So I took it home and got to cook it this week end.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Did a simple rub, salt, pepper, garlic and onion power, equal parts. Rub and placed in zip lock and back in fridge for 3-4 hrs.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Placed on camp chef, high smoke 200-225*, till an IT of 130*, about 2 hrs, Removed from CC, and I removed the drip pan and heat shield and placed the grill grates in for a sear, waited a few minutes for the temp to reach 375, then placed on grill grates.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

After approximately one and half minutes, rotated for another minute and half, then flipped over until IT reached 145* for med rare/well.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Good flavor and wife liked the taste, and it will on our list for as long as I can get it on the east coast.

Floyd Camp Chef DLX Webber Kettle

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: My first tri tip
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 03:46:19 PM »

I Love Tri-tip, have been eating it since I was 16 in Fresno.  That is the biggest looking 2 3/4lb. Tri-tip I have ever seen...I would be hard pressed to buy at that price, in our area that starts to approach Rib-eye price. My Costco has USDA Choice NY Strip Roast for $5.69/lb. It is a wonderful cut, just a tough sell at that price for me!  Very Glad you like it!

I finally found a tri tip on the east coast!  At first glance, it did not look like a trip tip that others have posted {boomerang shape}, but it said tri-tip, 2.73lbs at $7.69@lbs. So I took it home and got to cook it this week end.

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Flboy76

• Using less gas.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 04:07:40 PM »

Thanks Bentley, since I have been trying to get ahold of one for the past two years, I could not pass up the chance, even at $7+ a pound!!

Trooper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 04:10:49 PM »

I have not had a lot of tri-tip but plan to include them more regularly in my cooking routine.
I have learned to pay attention to the fiber grains and make sure that I am cutting against the grain.
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 04:21:56 PM »

Looks great Flboy.  I have not tried a tri-tip yet.  You are a posting of inspiration.

Quadman750

• North of the border
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 07:14:57 AM »

Looks good. I cannot find it in my area :(
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 02:02:43 PM »

A good idea...

Flboy76

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 02:22:10 PM »

Thanks guys, it was great to finally get to cook a tri-tip  :cool:

if there are to be any left overs, I'll have to cook two at a time, wife and grandkids, finished off the cook, with only one,two slices left over !

agree, need to work on getting the direction of the grain down when cutting the meat. If any of you have a Publix store, go check them out.

Quadman750

• North of the border
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 04:20:08 PM »

Looks good. I cannot find it in my area :(
Maybe those of us in areas without tritip can get some action by filling out customer request forms at your supermarkets. Those tend to go to the headquarters where buyers and merchandising teams make decisions. If we could get one market to carry and advertise tritip, others will follow.
I couldn't find in the Portland (OR) area until about 4-5 years ago and now every chain store and independent has them. We're very lucky in that tritip is on ad someplace usually every other week at least. 4.99L is pretty standard for an ad with a hot one at 3,99L every once in a while, which means one now and one for the freezer!

I think they ship the tri tips south of the border to all you folks. Not fair. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 04:45:37 PM »

Maybe those of us in areas without tritip can get some action by filling out customer request forms at your supermarkets. Those tend to go to the headquarters where buyers and merchandising teams make decisions. If we could get one market to carry and advertise tritip, others will follow.

The meat department staff at one of my local supermarkets told me that they have to order tri-tip by the case.  They ordered a case and they had to grind them before they aged-out.  A year or so later they had the same experience.  They said I'd have to take the whole case if they order for me.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 04:58:00 PM »

I would take 60lbs of Tri-tip in a NY Minute!

mo-kid

• Using less gas.
  • I get by with a little help from my friends.....
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 09:11:54 PM »

looks real good flyboy!!! I was looking the other day at tri-tip ...10.00/#. I used to buy them alot cheaper and I do love me some beef! Never had one until I got my GMG. I will have to look harder for a good bargin.
GMC daniel boone; frog mats, grill grates, SS griddle,

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 09:24:03 PM »

Boy howdy am I spoiled.  I can get them whenever I want.  Not bragging.  Just Lucky!!   :cool:  And the girls love it when I say that's for supper.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000
Pages: [1]   Go Up