Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by ArborAgent on 21 Nov 2017
  • I've had my Blazn for about a year now, I love it, but I never run it above 350º. I'm worried about the powdercoat. Any of you routinely run yours at 500º? How long do you keep it there?

• #2 by SJeP on 21 Nov 2017
  • Much like you, I never run my Grand Slam much over 350. I only use it for low-temperature smoking and grilling.

If I need to sear something at high temperature, I use my Weber Q1000 small propane grill.

I also agree that the finish and grill components should last longer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• #3 by Kristin Meredith on 21 Nov 2017
  • When Bent tested the Grand Slam, he did one of the pellet consumption tests at 400 degrees for 30 minutes and the high heat test (highest setting it would go) for an hour.  He also heated it up to grill steaks and I think burgers, so would have cranked it to it's highest then.  The powder coat was fine through it all.
  • #4 by triplebq on 21 Nov 2017
  • I use my Grid Iron for smoking (low and slow) only.
  • #5 by okie smokie on 22 Dec 2017
  • I've had my Blazn for about a year now, I love it, but I never run it above 350º. I'm worried about the powdercoat. Any of you routinely run yours at 500º? How long do you keep it there?
    My GS is 2.5 yrs old and I run it on 500 often to do steaks and chops.  It does a great job. My exterior powder coat is fine. As with all grills, the inner paint or coating is long gone around the fire pot area but there is no tendency for scaly type rust.  Also, the fine ash from the pellets really protects the floor area very nicely.  I think this grill will last longer than most of us.  Of course if you live in a salt air ,coastal area, or heavy rainy area it might take more care.  Exterior paint will get a little dull in the non- insulated areas, but of no concern.  Use it! and enjoy! 
  • #6 by KrautBurner on 12 Dec 2018
  • most powdercoated items (pellet grills, stoves, ect...) are good for up to about 600* \
    anything your grill can do should not hurt it

I had a Traeger Jr. with the old (non digital) controller,
    it would run 500-550 easily,
    and I saw 600*+ several times when running it wide open using LumberJack Charred hickory pellets
    the paint/powdercoat on it was definitely suffering
    as was the firepot
  • #7 by okie smokie on 12 Dec 2018
  • Since my reply in Nov. 2017, I have found an area of paint loss and rust on the bottom adjacent to the hatch for the "hot rod".  Elsewhere on PF I documented this and sanded, and repainted the area.  I also modified my GS replacing the domed diffuser with a thick SS flat diffuser, which does not deflect the flame downward as much.  Also lined the area that caught the extra heat with firebrick. Result was much less heat to the area involved.  I will find the previous report and list it here.
  • #8 by okie smokie on 12 Dec 2018
  • Go to the Blazn area and see my post of May 2, 2018.  Pics are there for before and after repaint, and before and after internal mod. 
  • #9 by MP09 on 13 Dec 2018
  • I have ran mine up to 500 doing pizzas with no problems. My powder coat looks as good as it did on day one.
  • #10 by okie smokie on 13 Dec 2018
  • I have ran mine up to 500 doing pizzas with no problems. My powder coat looks as good as it did on day one.
    I run mine up to 500 often for steaks, and since my repair and mod, all the external paint is intact.  Can't complain.  :cool:
  • #11 by MSOLSON on 14 Dec 2018
  • So stupid me. Had a grease fire in my Grand Slam. Have no idea how hot it got but you can see the painted area bubbled and the powder coat survived just fine. Very simple to repaint. Normally do not intentionally set the temp above 400. I can attest to the fact that Blaz'n grills are made very well!

Pages:
Actions