Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for Recommended Vacuum Marinade Machine  (Read 618 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Looking for Recommended Vacuum Marinade Machine
« on: August 27, 2017, 03:03:51 PM »

Anyone have any recommendations for a vacuum marinade machine?  I am exploring whether or not it makes sense to get one.  I am primarily thinking about using it for making jerky to save time of marinading overnight.  I would prefer something that could hold about 5 lbs of meat plus marinade and finishes in about 15-30 minutes.  That way I could slice the meat, marinade, and smoke all in the same day.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Looking for Recommended Vacuum Marinade Machine
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 03:09:54 PM »

There's a study that seems to prove that vacuum marinading has little merit after the food is cooked.  It sums up, "Under the conditions of this study, use of vacuum during mari- nation appeared to offer no significant advantage over marination at atmospheric pressure.

You can read it here.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 03:16:46 PM »

thanks for the information, but if it saves me a lot of time to get similar results I am open to exploring a vacuum
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 04:29:16 PM »

I was not sure after reading it, was the study more concerned about moisture retention in the bird then possible flavor enhancements, causing them to weigh more and therefore retailers get more money.  It was hard to tell. 

The objective of this study was to evaluate effects of vacuum on moisture retention and quality characteristics of marinated chicken breast fillets.

I saw it used but never used it.  Larry loved his vac tumbler, but that man had way more disposable income then me!  Pricy for a workingman!  But I think he felt like you Lew...He had a very limited time to get that flavor in the meat at a competition and I think he felt this gave him a leg up!

D.C. Curtis, Ltd. Flavor Maker
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 04:53:20 PM »

That looks nice, but I could buy another grill for that price.  If I was going to start selling jerky that I made, then maybe I would consider that.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 05:05:02 PM »

I did not really look at the link again...his was about a $1000 are they still in that range?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 05:34:20 PM »

I did not really look at the link again...his was about a $1000 are they still in that range?

$1500-$2000

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 05:39:50 PM »

I bought a less pricy model about a year ago.  At about the time it was delivered I read that study where the benefits kinda' cooked away.  So I thought, "Oh, well.  I'll use it when I need faster results."  Haven't used it.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 05:45:08 PM »

I was not sure after reading it, was the study more concerned about moisture retention in the bird then possible flavor enhancements, causing them to weigh more and therefore retailers get more money.

They apparently thought, "If you weighed two chicken breasts before and after marinading you could assume that any weight gain was soaked-in marinade and more is better."
Paul

Pages: [1]   Go Up