Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: MAK 2 Star flame-outs  (Read 5072 times)

Michael_NW

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Battle Ground, WA
MAK 2 Star flame-outs
« on: November 24, 2017, 02:28:57 AM »

So . . . I was smoking the Thanksgiving turkey, yesterday, and was about half way through the cook when I noticed a lot of billowing smoke coming from the unit. By the time I got to the door to see what was up there was a combustion explosion that I could see and hear through the window. Though I knew that meant shutting down grill, letting it cool, removing the turkey, cleaning the pit, and being late for dinner, I did it anyway cuz I just didn't want to finish the bird in the oven. I had remembered posts from the previous forum that this was caused by a flame-out, followed by the auger pouring pellets into the fire pot during which time the igniter was turned on, followed by the explosion as the super-heated pellets finally caught fire.

About an hour later, being spooked from the previous flame-out, I was checking the grill again and noticed the temp had dropped to below 200 from 325. This time, I didn't bother trying to restart, I just shut down the grill and finished the turkey in the oven. The turkey, btw, came out great, considering all the trouble with the cook.

The truly frustrating thing is that I have had this grill for over a year and a half and have never had a flame-out in that time. I always clean my grill every time before I use it. I'll be checking out the grill in the morning to see if I can figure it out. The only thing different about this cook is the type of pellet I used; the brand is the same, just a different 'flavor'. It was a little breezy but nothing I haven't cooked in before.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced a flame-out that seemingly came out of nowhere and what you may have determined to be the cause. Thanks in advance for any input!
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

Vision

• Using less gas.
  • Baltimore, Maryland
Re: MAK 2 Star flame-outs
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 10:29:01 AM »

Never had it happen. All I can think of is a dirty thermostat probe and or fire pot full of ash.
Mak 1 Star Blackstone 36 WSM 18 Weber OTG

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 11:06:16 AM »

Never had it happen. All I can think of is a dirty thermostat probe and or fire pot full of ash.
Thanks for your input. Both are cleaned prior to every cook. I use a brillo pad on the probe and keep it shiny. I'm going to dig into it today and cook a second turkey to have around for sandwiches. I'll post how it goes . . .

fryfour

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 11:17:36 AM »

were you running web control by chance? i had the same thing happen twice on my two star while using web control on busy holiday.. mite not be what caused it but have never had it happen while web control is off. we need an app that doesnt have to go back and forth through maks server. just my thoughts.. good luck..

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 03:14:35 PM »

Thanks, all, for your input. I did the usual cleaning I do before each cook and smoked a turkey with no problems, yesterday; the usual, flawless, MAK performance. It did have me a bit rattled, though, from the problems on Thanksgiving day, so I was checking the grill temp constantly on my Tappecue. It came out wonderfully flavorful and juicy.

fryfour, I do not run web control, but that's a good suggestion. Knowing how easily my human faults can mess things up, I try to keep my cooks simple and clean. That way, it keeps any troubleshooting relatively simple, as well.

Vision

• Using less gas.
  • Baltimore, Maryland
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 04:14:56 PM »

Did the problem cook happen on a windy day?
Mak 1 Star Blackstone 36 WSM 18 Weber OTG

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 04:18:02 PM »

I am glad to hear that your Thanksgiving turkey cooked flawlessly.  I had to replace my igniter one time as it went bad, however, it was still under warranty.  I did eventually replace it with the new MAK igniter and it has worked great.  So my suggestion would be to call MAK and see if they could explain why the flameouts.

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 06:48:58 PM »

Did the problem cook happen on a windy day?
No, it didn't. There was a breeze, but certainly nothing that could influence the fire pot . . . I've smoked in worse at lower temps and never had any trouble. When I clean the fire pot each time, there is usually only a small amount of ash, maybe an inch or two, from the previous cook. But I never let it go; I know, from reading, how important it is to keep it clean.

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 12:18:22 AM »

Michael---call Dennis Ogg, the Service master @ MAK. He can help you out. His phone # is 503-623-1234. Hes in the office 8AM-5PM, Monday-Friday.
Thank you! I will do that.

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 10:35:50 PM »

Contacted Dennis Ogg, this afternoon, and we talked about it, though since it's not recurring is kinda hard to diagnose. He was great and wants me to contact him should it happen again.

I'm going to chock this one up to the lingering after-effects of the solar eclipse.

rwalters

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 11:40:00 PM »

I bought a new 2 Star in March. Had 2 back to back flameouts during a single cook about a month or two into ownership. Like you, I was confused as everything was as it should be, thoroughly cleaned.  It was the only time that ever happened...and my MAK has been picture perfect ever since it had that lil hiccup...and I have cooked a TON since then. Sounds like your thinking the same way I did...just let it go :)

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 12:09:33 AM »

Yup, I'm letting it go, though the flameout spooked me. Since Thanksgiving I've smoked another 15 lb turkey and just did a 16 lb packer brisket with no issues at all. In fact, this brisket felt like a turning point for me. I've done 3 total and wasn't happy at all with any of them, but this one made me feel like I landed on my feet for once. I could of cooked it slightly longer to render just a bit more fat in the point, other than that it was a great cook.

I love this smoker!

rwalters

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 08:17:03 AM »

Yup, I'm letting it go, though the flameout spooked me. Since Thanksgiving I've smoked another 15 lb turkey and just did a 16 lb packer brisket with no issues at all. In fact, this brisket felt like a turning point for me. I've done 3 total and wasn't happy at all with any of them, but this one made me feel like I landed on my feet for once. I could of cooked it slightly longer to render just a bit more fat in the point, other than that it was a great cook.

I love this smoker!
No pics of your latest brisket?? :’(

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 01:17:12 AM »

I love this smoker!
I know, I'm awful at taking pics!!! I get so caught up in the cook that I forget! My wife just shakes her head and smiles. I'm doing two pork butts this weekend . . . I'll TRY to remember to take pics!

rwalters

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 01:29:35 AM »

I love this smoker!
I know, I'm awful at taking pics!!! I get so caught up in the cook that I forget! My wife just shakes her head and smiles. I'm doing two pork butts this weekend . . . I'll TRY to remember to take pics!
:)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up