Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Michael_NW on 07 Dec 2017
  • Ok, rwalters,  :-[  you've shamed me into posting this pic of the brisket about 6 hours in. It went another 2 hours before it had the color I wanted and I wrapped it in butcher paper. This is the only one I took before I got consumed with the cook. As I said, it turned out waaaay better than my previous 3 attempts.
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #17 by rwalters on 07 Dec 2017
  • Oh man!! The strong-armed shaming tactic worked!!! Fantastic looking brisket :)
  • #18 by urnmor on 07 Dec 2017
  • I enjoy taking pictures of the food and cakes I make and yes my wife just laughs at me and tells me to sit down so we can eat. :cool:
  • #19 by Michael_NW on 07 Dec 2017
  • Oh man!! The strong-armed shaming tactic worked!!! Fantastic looking brisket :)
    And it tastes wonderful! Even re-heated 4 days later, I'm wondering to myself . . . "I wonder what the poor people are having for dinner?"   :P
  • #20 by rwalters on 08 Dec 2017
    And it tastes wonderful! Even re-heated 4 days later, I'm wondering to myself . . . "I wonder what the poor people are having for dinner?"   :P
    LOL! I often think the same thing. Even our mess ups are a notch up from what the “average joe” is consuming. It’s a rough life, but somebody’s gotta do it :)
  • #21 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Dec 2017
  • Well, I guess it was my turn.  Put 5# of jerky on the smoker today.  Flame out!  Good thing I had the Memphis started up so I moved the jerky racks to it.  Need to probably clean the fire pot on the MAK and give it another try.  I need it tomorrow along with the Memphis for the big jerky cook, and I need it for the side chamber to smoke cheese too.
  • #22 by rwalters on 08 Dec 2017
  • Well, I guess it was my turn.  Put 5# of jerky on the smoker today.  Flame out!  Good thing I had the Memphis started up so I moved the jerky racks to it.  Need to probably clean the fire pot on the MAK and give it another try.  I need it tomorrow along with the Memphis for the big jerky cook, and I need it for the side chamber to smoke cheese too.
    Hmmm, how long have you owned your MAK, and is this your 1st flame out?  It’s kind of weird hearing this, as MAK’s are just known to work.
  • #23 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Dec 2017
    Hmmm, how long have you owned your MAK, and is this your 1st flame out?  It’s kind of weird hearing this, as MAK’s are just known to work.

6+ years I think...controller is only a few months old as is ceramic igniter
  • #24 by rwalters on 08 Dec 2017

6+ years I think...controller is only a few months old as is ceramic igniter
    Other then the flameout, safe to assume you’ve had trouble free operation in the 6+ years?
  • #25 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Dec 2017
  • I've had a few issues, but I have had issues with my Memphis and Traeger too.  Nothing critical.  Any time you have electronics and moving parts something is bound to not work at some point.
  • #26 by Michael_NW on 08 Dec 2017
    Wow, sorry to hear that. I just cleaned the fire pot in prep for tomorrows pork butt and there were several inches of ash from my 14-hour brisket cook from Sunday. Cleaning that thing every time really does make a difference.

It's cool that you had a backup, and such a strong backup, as well!
  • #27 by Bar-B-Lew on 10 Dec 2017
  • cleaned out fire pot in the morning and had another flame out when the grill was set on smoke mode.  turned it back on and set it to 200 and it didnt flame out again.  side chamber couldnt get above 50 degrees and took forever to smoke cheese
  • #28 by WiPelletHead on 10 Dec 2017
  • cleaned out fire pot in the morning and had another flame out when the grill was set on smoke mode.  turned it back on and set it to 200 and it didnt flame out again.  side chamber couldnt get above 50 degrees and took forever to smoke cheese

That sucks with all the jerky your planning to make.

Is your old controller still good? If so, might be worth a try to see if that helps.

:2cents: :2cents:
  • #29 by Bar-B-Lew on 10 Dec 2017
  • the LED display on the old controller doesnt work as the sun ruined the crystals
  • #30 by Michael_NW on 10 Dec 2017
  • Michael---call Dennis Ogg, the Service master @ MAK. He can help you out. His phone # is 503-623-1234. Hes in the office 8AM-5PM, Monday-Friday.
    Bar-B-Lew, you might want to give Dennis a call. Those guys know their stuff. When I had talked with him he wanted me to call him back if ti happened again so we could run through some diagnostics with me at the smoker. That might be helpful to you.

Does it seem like the chamber isn't coming up to temp? So maybe the auger isn't turning like it should?
Pages:
Actions