Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by yorkdude on 24 Nov 2017
  • So we are thinking we want to have a standing rib roast for Christmas and want to age it.
    3 questions though.
    1. Wet or dry?
    2. If dry worry about ruining it, anyone who have had success with the umai bags?
    3. Will a month be enough or not enough time?
    This will help us decide whether we try it or just smoke it as usual.
    Thanks I don't want to ruin meat and a good meal.
  • #2 by Quadman750 on 24 Nov 2017
  • I'm sure Bentley will chime in, he has done a lot of this & has put together some very good threads on this subject in the past.
  • #3 by triplebq on 24 Nov 2017
  • I have had great success using UMAi bags for aging beef.

• #4 by yorkdude on 24 Nov 2017
  • Wow, triplebq,that really looks good, how long did you age it? One of our problems is that both of our refrigerators get opened daily and I worry without the bag I will not have proper humidity and temp swings. Do you think either of them would affect using the bag?
  • #5 by yorkdude on 24 Nov 2017
  • You are the man. I am not worried about the temp, I also strictly adhere to 40-140. I was concerned about humidity with the opening and closing. It will be choice, prime is out of my league. Not concerned about the loss just want to make sure and not mess it up.
    So take off cryovac, set on rack on cookie sheet and walk away?
    Hate to bombard you with questions.
  • #6 by Bentley on 24 Nov 2017
  • All I have ever done, no idea if one is better then the other.  I have seen TV shows of Peter Lugar's, Prime's and Pat LaFrieda's meats lockers and they sure do bone on...For me, not having to worry if the bone is gonna go funky on me...I doubt I would ever do one with bone on!

Last question, they all appear boneless, is that the way to go.
  • #7 by Darwin on 24 Nov 2017
  • One of the hotels I worked at dry aged their beef for 21 days.  The meat was placed on wire racks on a full sheet pan and left the back of the walk in refrigerator. I think we had the temp set at 36°, but I'm not sure on that.  David Burke built a "wall" with blocks of Himalayan salt blocks claiming it seasoned the meat and kept away the bad things...
    Dry aged beef is delicious!   :clap:
  • #8 by Trooper on 24 Nov 2017
  • I'm sure Bentley will chime in.

Oh man, I knew these photos would be back up again.

Drool time - just thinking about the finished results.
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 Nov 2017
  • I've had steaks at David Burke's Prime about 3-4 times.  Best I have ever eaten.  I still kick myself for turning down an opportunity to go into that Himalayan salt room.
  • #10 by Darwin on 24 Nov 2017
  • I've had steaks at David Burke's Prime about 3-4 times.  Best I have ever eaten.  I still kick myself for turning down an opportunity to go into that Himalayan salt room.
    He is incredibly creative and brilliant with presentations.
  • #11 by triplebq on 24 Nov 2017
  • Wow, triplebq,that really looks good, how long did you age it? One of our problems is that both of our refrigerators get opened daily and I worry without the bag I will not have proper humidity and temp swings. Do you think either of them would affect using the bag?

These were done 21 and 35 days.
  • #12 by yorkdude on 25 Nov 2017
  • So here we go.
    Mercy I missed the sale, over yesterday and I was there but wanted to chew on a few ears first. Yesterday $8.99. Today $11.99.
  • #13 by yorkdude on 25 Nov 2017
  • You got it. I am excited and nervous.
  • #14 by Bentley on 25 Nov 2017
  • Start sharpening your filet knife...
  • #15 by yorkdude on 28 Nov 2017
  • Morning day 3.
    The yellow psychrometer is VERY fast acting temp wise so as I was trying to get the pic it came up 1 degree.
    The few times I have checked temp it hangs out between 37-38.
    Here's a couple photos.
    The last one it is rotated.
Pages:
Actions