Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by RoadKing on 24 Nov 2017
  • OSU vs that team up north tomorrow. Let’s get ready to RUUUUUMMMMMMBLE!!!!!

• RoadKing
  • #2 by RoadKing on 24 Nov 2017
  • I found this little 7 pounder and brought it home with me. It’s pretty lean, but still needs a little trimming
    • RoadKing
  • #3 by RoadKing on 24 Nov 2017
  • I have never used the Weber Rubs. My local store was out of Bone Suckin Rub, and this looked similar. I like that it contains more sugar than salt.  I inject about 3 ounces pineapple juice into it . About 1 ounce leaked out.
    • RoadKing
  • #4 by RoadKing on 24 Nov 2017
  • Put it on the Green Mountain Grill at 225 fat cap topside. It will probably take 1.5 hours per pound. I program the grill to turn off when the internal temperature reaches 195.
    • RoadKing
  • #5 by RoadKing on 24 Nov 2017
  • I am using Cabellas bourbon bbq brown sugar pellets.
    • RoadKing
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 Nov 2017
  • curious how the pellets work for you...I think I bought a bag of them a few months ago.
  • #7 by RoadKing on 25 Nov 2017
  • It has been a long time since I have smoked a shoulder, and I forgot that I prefer the fat cap down. :-[ Oh well; This isn’t rocket science. I sprayed it with a mixture of about 6 oz apple cider vinegar and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce then flipped it and sprayed again. This is at the 2.5 hour mark.

The pellets smell really good, and appear to be producing a good amount of smoke.
    • RoadKing
  • #8 by RoadKing on 25 Nov 2017
  •  The shot of pork on the grill looks like an action photo to me with the smoke blowing around the meat.
    • RoadKing
  • #9 by RoadKing on 25 Nov 2017
  • It stalled out with only a few hours to go, so I tented with foil and bumped the temp.
    • RoadKing
  • #10 by bregent on 25 Nov 2017
  • It stalled out with only a few hours to go, so I tented with foil and bumped the temp.

Tented? You mean wrapped?
  • #11 by RoadKing on 25 Nov 2017
  • Loosely covered on top and sides.

It came out OK. It is definitely more tender when I don’t have to bump the temp.

• RoadKing
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 Nov 2017
  • When I foil, I wrap it tight to the shoulder and then pour the juices that stay in the foil right into the pan I am using to pull the shoulder apart.  It always stays tender and juicy for me that way.
  • #13 by bregent on 25 Nov 2017
  • >Loosely covered on top and sides.

OK, what's the thinking behind doing that?
  • #14 by triplebq on 25 Nov 2017
  • A good old pork shoulder  :lick:
  • #15 by RoadKing on 25 Nov 2017
  • >Loosely covered on top and sides.

OK, what's the thinking behind doing that?

I didn’t want to pull it off the smoker, or remove the the temperature probe. I just wanted to end the the stall, which is caused by evaporative cooling.
    • RoadKing
Pages:
Actions