Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rec Tec Mini, and end result questions of Pork shoulder  (Read 950 times)

Opelspyder

Rec Tec Mini, and end result questions of Pork shoulder
« on: November 25, 2017, 05:44:57 PM »

Okay, this is my first post, I am a Pellethead refugee.  I own the Rec Tec 680 and the Mini.  I’ve owned the 680 for 4 years now I think, but bought the Mini around first of May.  The 680 has been an awesome machine so I thought I would like the Mini for a more mobile option.  I took the Mini camping for a first real run shortly after getting it, and planned to do a shoulder the first night.  I already purchased the butt, and had it cooling on ice.  So first night I smoked it (I’ve done more Boston Butts than I can remember-so not a newb) the unit ran off a battery all night which really impressed me, but I notice it just wants to cut the fan on and off, all the time to hold the temperature.  I got the meat up to a 200 degree internal to pull it, I’ve never wrapped mine, never needed to.  When I went to pull it, it just didn’t want to fall apart like they should at that temp.  It acted like i was trying to pull at 165.  It would pull, but what would cause this?  Could have been just the meat?  Could it have been the constant up and down of the smoker? 
Part 2:  I noticed the Mini has been discontinued now.  Does anyone know why?  Is it the cause relating to my cook?  I’ve cooked chicken and pork steaks on it, but I haven’t really used it much since.  The 680 is my workhorse anyway. 

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Rec Tec Mini, and end result questions of Pork shoulder
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 07:44:20 PM »

Not sure what you mean by "constant up and down of the smoker" ?  If you're referring to the fan pulsing, that's normal.

I've had butts that were tough at 200, and others that were tender at 186. Internal temperature is not what determines when a butt gets tender. Just cook until it reaches the tenderness you desire.

Opelspyder

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 08:20:57 PM »

Okay, I assumed 200 was more than enough, so it threw me off.

Anyone know why these units have been discontinued just before they are even a year old?

Craig in Indy

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 08:45:03 AM »

The Mini has been around longer than a year. And I think RT is in the middle of a lineup revamp. They have several new products in the pipeline.

lamrith

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 04:54:54 PM »

The Mini has been around longer than a year. And I think RT is in the middle of a lineup revamp. They have several new products in the pipeline.
Yes they have bee out a long while and RT is in the middle of a lineup change. 

If someone wants to stay pretty up to date with RT, I would recommend they follow Rectec on a popular social media site.  RT has been doing a number of livestreams lately and people ask about the mini every time as well as other upcoming new products.

I have a feeling RT saw the success of the mini, and received tons of ideas and feedback to the point they are developing new units that may have overlapped the mini in it's current form.  I know myself for example I have a 680 (I love it so would never get rid of it) and the only reason I wanted a mini was all the high temp grilling I do which the 680 is just too big for (only use 1/3 of the grate space).  Well since the new bullseye is direct flame, it will do that even better than the mini could ever dream.  Others I know wanted a unit that runs off 12V for camping etc, So RT is developing the trailblazer as a portable tailgating/camping unit and is the unit they point to as the replacement for the mini.

Pages: [1]   Go Up