Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by hughver on 25 Nov 2017
  • During my monthly visit to the local Asian market, I came across these frozen pork bellies. They are smaller than the normal ones I  buy at Costco so I figured that they would work better with my meat slicer. Additionally, they seem to be very lean but they were also somewhat more expensive. During the next couple of weeks I'll thaw, cure and smoke to see how they compare to the traditional version.
  • #2 by yorkdude on 26 Nov 2017
  • I bet those will make good bacon, they do look quite lean.
  • #3 by CaptJerry on 26 Nov 2017
  • When did Netherlands defect from the EU?  ;D

Ok, I know, don't quit my day job.

BUT, I do believe that is the first time I have ever seen anything marked as "Made in the The Netherlands"
  • #4 by Canadian John on 26 Nov 2017
  •  Looks different indeed...Please let us know how things went.
  • #5 by Son of Earle on 26 Nov 2017
  • That is some good looking meat!
  • #6 by elenis on 28 Nov 2017
  • Those look like the bellies I get fresh at my local asian market. I haven't made bacon yet with them. I just rub them with my pork rub and do something similar to the Arby's pork belly sandwich.
  • #7 by LowSlowJoe on 29 Nov 2017
  • I always cut my pork belly up into smaller more manageable pieces, typically about 6x10. Basically pieces that easily fit into gallon sized ziplock bags. When I cure it, I put them in the ziplock bags... When I slice my bacon, I do it across the short side of the small hunk, I find the smaller pieces are easier to fry. SO, I thin that's a WIN , WIN , WIN, for smaller sized hunks of pork belly... 

Unless your wanting to weave the bacon around a fatty or something, I don't see any real value in long pieces of bacon
Pages:
Actions