Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rotisserie for DB?  (Read 2399 times)

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
Rotisserie for DB?
« on: November 26, 2017, 09:49:10 AM »

I am wanting more details on what brands, models, length, modification, etc. for installing a rotisserie in the Daniel Boone model.  Measurement of where to install it would be great also.

Any info is appreciated.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

zephyr

• Using less gas.
Re: Rotisserie for DB?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 03:49:37 PM »

Can you post a pic of your DB?    ...................................    ZEP
><> Titus 3:2-7 <><           [M2SG]  [UDS] [36X19 Phantom Downdraft]   [Karubecue C-60 Downdraft]

Son of Earle

• Using less gas.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 05:29:02 PM »

I purchased my rotisserie parts, and pieces from www.onegrill.com/ .  My DB used a 37'' spit rod.  The JB would probably need a 43'' if installed the same way.  I can't remember if the centerline of the spit rod is 6'' below inside top of grill or the top of the spit rod is 6'' below inside top of grill.  Either way it is a 1/4'' difference.  I did not factor in clearance from the grill grates because I usually remove them when using the rotisserie.  If I remember correctly the grate, and ceiling clearance is almost identical. 

I installed the spit rod with a hole on the hopper side, and stack side of the grill.  Other members have avoided drilling a spit rod hole on the hopper side. 

One member used a magnet attached to the inside of the grill with a hole drilled in it to accept a bushing or just the rod itself I can't remember. 

The other way I have seen is using the supplied spit rod BUSHING SUPPORT MOUNT, and appropriate supplied bushing (part of motor mount rod kit) mounted on the inside of the grill.  Still need to drill 2 holes in hopper side to fasten bracket with this method. 

As stated above I drilled a 5/8'' hole on each side, and used a STEPPED SPIT ROD BUSHING.

Hope this helps a little.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 06:33:33 PM by Bentley »

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 05:44:57 PM »

I purchased my rotisserie parts, and pieces from https://www.onegrill.com/ .  My DB used a 37'' spit rod.  The JB would probably need a 43'' if installed the same way.  I can't remember if the centerline of the spit rod is 6'' below inside top of grill or the top of the spit rod is 6'' below inside top of grill.  Either way it is a 1/4'' difference.  I did not factor in clearance from the grill grates because I usually remove them when using the rotisserie.  If I remember correctly the grate, and ceiling clearance is almost identical. 

I installed the spit rod with a hole on the hopper side, and stack side of the grill.  Other members have avoided drilling a spit rod hole on the hopper side. 

One member used a magnet attached to the inside of the grill with a hole drilled in it to accept a bushing or just the rod itself I can't remember. 

The other way I have seen is using the supplied spit rod BUSHING SUPPORT MOUNT, and appropriate supplied bushing (part of motor mount rod kit) mounted on the inside of the grill.  Still need to drill 2 holes in hopper side to fasten bracket with this method. 

As stated above I drilled a 5/8'' hole on each side, and used a STEPPED SPIT ROD BUSHING.

Hope this helps a little.

Would one of the kits include everything you mentioned? 

https://www.onegrill.com/Universal_Grill_Rotisserie_Kit_37_x_1_2_Rod_p/4ps71.htm

Son of Earle

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 08:14:18 PM »

reubenray that kit has everything you need depending on how you decide to mount your spit rod, and motor.  I wish I had pictures to show you all the different ways.
If you want to duplicate what I did than you will need to substitute the single bushing in your link for two 4pb04 bushings.  when using the Ribolator I use the bushings on the inside of the grill.  When spinning two turkeys, and space is limited than the bushings go on the outside of the grill.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 07:07:59 AM »

I will never do two turkeys at a time being it is just two of us.  One Grill has everything on sale now and I am looking to order everything today if possible.  I have a few questions.

1)  Do you have the 5/16 or 1/2 spit?  There is on twenty cents difference between the two kits.

2)  Did you do the extending of the motor due to the smoke stack?  Will the motor work turned sideways to avoid the smoke stack?

Son of Earle

• Using less gas.
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 07:51:06 PM »

1)  Do you have the 5/16 or 1/2 spit?  There is on twenty cents difference between the two kits.
     I purchased the 1/2'' spit rod because that is the inside diameter of the bushings which keeps the rotisserie spinning true.

2)  Did you do the extending of the motor due to the smoke stack?  Will the motor work turned sideways to avoid the smoke stack?
     I installed the motor beyond the smoke stack to avoid the heat from the stack, and the grill which according to one grill is bad for electric motors.  It also helped me fine tune the alignment between rod, and motor.  The motor mounted away from everything avoids the drippings from the stack.  You can also mount the motor side ways, and have everything probably work pretty good as well.  Mounted sideways under the stack will give you more shelf space.  Either way it will work good.  It's easy don't let it out smart ya. 
[/quote]

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 07:58:45 PM »

I purchased the 1/2'' spit rod because that is the inside diameter of the bushings which keeps the rotisserie spinning true.

I installed the motor beyond the smoke stack to avoid the heat from the stack, and the grill which according to one grill is bad for electric motors.  It also helped me fine tune the alignment between rod, and motor.  The motor mounted away from everything avoids the drippings from the stack.  You can also mount the motor side ways, and have everything probably work pretty good as well.  Mounted sideways under the stack will give you more shelf space.  Either way it will work good.  It's easy don't let it out smart ya. 
[/quote]

I ordered the 1/2" rotisserie kit from OneGrill today. 

With the Rib-o-Lator do the ribs actually turn over or just rotate like a Ferris Wheel.

Son of Earle

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 08:05:21 PM »

The Ribolator operates like a ferris wheel.  I do have a secret weapon that completely turns the ribs over.  :cool:

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 09:07:30 PM »

The Ribolator operates like a ferris wheel.  I do have a secret weapon that completely turns the ribs over.  :cool:

?????

I smoke St. Louis style ribs more than anything else.  Most of the baskets I have been looking at are to short.

zephyr

• Using less gas.
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 01:02:25 AM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

.........................................................  ZEP
><> Titus 3:2-7 <><           [M2SG]  [UDS] [36X19 Phantom Downdraft]   [Karubecue C-60 Downdraft]

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 10:41:30 AM »

I have the rotisserie installed and I will use it the first time on Thursday smoking a pork butt.  That is if the bone in the pork butt will not keep me from installing it on the spit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up