Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Are BBQ Styles and How Do They Differ?  (Read 2573 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
Re: What Are BBQ Styles and How Do They Differ?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 05:15:10 PM »

Mine's a southeastern Michigan style... inspired by various kinds of BBQ I've seen over the years, and adapted to cook in my own backyard.   Sometimes it includes Beef Brisket, inspired by what I believe to be the Texas style of BBQ, but having only ate brisket once in Texas, who am I to know?   Now, in general, I'd say that whatever style I have, it rarely includes the use of any mop, or even spritzing... maybe my style could best be described as lazy, because I just tend to get the grill set to the temperature I want ( which is quite easy with a pellet grill ), put the meat on the grill with a remote temperature probe stuck in it, walk away , and then come back when my phone App says that the internal temperature is where I want it to be... Ok, well I might probe it for tenderness, but I rarely open up my pellet grill more than 3 times on even the longest cooks...  So, lets call it southeastern Michigan Lazy man's BBQ...     Sauce is almost always on the side

As a Southwest Michigan guy, I second your comments, observations, and techniques (other than the probe with the phone app). Perhaps we have stumbled upon the Southern Michigan Lazy Style BBQ!
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Mikro

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 12:32:52 AM »

Here in W. Ky., it's usually vinegar based sauce over hickory, which is nothing unusual, but what makes us unique is our love of mutton...... :lick:
Yep, eating those stinking old baba sheep. LOL. Just kidding, I am not a fan of mutton. It taste like old wet sheep wool smells to me. I am in that weird 5% of people that also taste soap when I eat cilantro. LOL!!! KY BBQ is good though.
MK
Firecraft Q450
RecTec 590/Stampede
HomeBrew Upright/Vertical Pellet smoker

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 06:01:50 AM »

Yep PNW we don't really have a style with the exception of smoking Salmon with Alder wood and the only reason I know this was I lived on the Makah reservation and we were friends with one of the last fluent speakers of the Makah Language. Every now and then one of the Elders would talk about the history they learned from their Grandfathers.

I would disagree.  I am a Certified Beer Judge and we have a ton of styles to know.  All beer styles are usually by a region of the world or specific country.  When it comes to BBQ, its all about the region of the US that it stems from.  Yes, this all about the rub/sauce you use.  But, it think wood is also a big part of it.  Texas will have more use of Mesquite than say Caroline.

But a lot of Californians like mesquite.  So is it Texas style or California style.  And if you use Hickory, what style is that?  or Cherry?  or a blend?  Cooking on wood is cooking on wood and not  a regional style.  Maybe a flavor profile.

I was going to stay out of this as us Pacific North-westerners, while home of Joe Traeger, don't really have our own style.  I now want to ask about Tri Tip.   Isn't that a regional California style?  Santa Maria tri tip?

DK
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 06:23:37 AM »

Would probably have to go with KC style.
We prefer a little sauce on some meat (ribs, chops, chicken) etc. and some for dipping if more is needed.
Kind of simple on the sauce though, either straight out of the bottle Sweet baby Rays or Kraft, told you it was simple.
Often we will heat up the the sauce and add some mustard, maybe some lemon juice freshly squeezed and the basic spices, never tastes the same but always good.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 06:27:46 AM by yorkdude »

dk117

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 10:50:46 AM »

Yep PNW we don't really have a style with the exception of smoking Salmon with Alder wood and the only reason I know this was I lived on the Makah reservation and we were friends with one of the last fluent speakers of the Makah Language. Every now and then one of the Elders would talk about the history they learned from their Grandfathers.

I would disagree.  I am a Certified Beer Judge and we have a ton of styles to know.  All beer styles are usually by a region of the world or specific country.  When it comes to BBQ, its all about the region of the US that it stems from.  Yes, this all about the rub/sauce you use.  But, it think wood is also a big part of it.  Texas will have more use of Mesquite than say Caroline.

But a lot of Californians like mesquite.  So is it Texas style or California style.  And if you use Hickory, what style is that?  or Cherry?  or a blend?  Cooking on wood is cooking on wood and not  a regional style.  Maybe a flavor profile.

I was going to stay out of this as us Pacific North-westerners, while home of Joe Traeger, don't really have our own style.  I now want to ask about Tri Tip.   Isn't that a regional California style?  Santa Maria tri tip?

DK

exactly correct, but further confuses the topic.  As Santa Maria Tri Tip is grilling and PNW Smoked Salmon is ... well smoked.   We need to define BBQ before we can define BBQ styles.   (I seem to recall BBQ definition being attempted here or PH before.)

DK

riverrat49

• G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 11:07:34 AM »

Thank You Wikipedia for making this as clear as mud:

Barbecue or barbeque (informally BBQ or barby) is both a cooking method and an apparatus. Barbecuing is done slowly over low, indirect heat and the food is flavored by the smoking process, while grilling, a related process, is generally done quickly over moderate-to-high direct heat that produces little smoke.

Barbecue can refer to the cooking method itself, the meat cooked this way, the cooking apparatus used (the "barbecue grill" or simply "barbecue"), or to a type of social event featuring this type of cooking. Barbecuing is usually done outdoors by smoking the meat over wood or charcoal. Restaurant barbecue may be cooked in large, specially-designed brick or metal ovens. Barbecue is practiced in many areas of the world and there are numerous regional variations.

Barbecuing techniques include smoking, roasting or baking, braising and grilling. The original technique is cooking using smoke at low temperatures and long cooking times (several hours). Baking uses an oven to convection cook with moderate temperatures for an average cooking time of about an hour. Braising combines direct, dry heat charbroiling on a ribbed surface with a broth-filled pot for moist heat. Grilling is done over direct, dry heat, usually over a hot fire for a few minutes.
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

riverrat49

• G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 11:09:08 AM »

Merriam-Webster:

Definition of barbecue

barbecued; barbecuing
transitive verb
1 : to roast or broil on a rack or revolving spit over or before a source of heat (such as hot coals)
2 : to cook in a highly seasoned vinegar sauce

riverrat49

• G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2017, 11:11:02 AM »

Oxford English:

A meal or gathering at which meat, fish, or other food is cooked out of doors on a rack over an open fire or on a special appliance.
‘in the evening there was a barbecue’
as modifier ‘a barbecue area’
More example sentencesSynonyms

1.1 A rack or appliance used for the preparation of food at a barbecue.
‘food was placed to sizzle on the barbecue’
More example sentencesSynonyms

1.2North American mass noun Food cooked on a barbecue.
‘all the barbecue he could eat’

riverrat49

• G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 11:12:30 AM »

Cambridge English Dictionary:

a metal frame on which food is cooked outside over a fire, or a meal prepared using such a frame and usually eaten outside:

riverrat49

• G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 11:15:13 AM »

Collins Dictionary:
1.  Obsolete
a raised framework for smoking, drying, or broiling meat

a hog, steer, etc. broiled or roasted whole over an open fire, sometimes in an open pit

a.
any meat broiled over an open fire
b.
any meat prepared and broiled with a barbecue sauce

4.  US
a party or picnic at which such meat is served

a restaurant that specializes in barbecuing

a.
an outdoor structure for cooking or, esp., roasting over an open fire
b.
a portable outdoor grill

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2017, 02:51:46 PM »

Dictionary.com-

noun
pieces of beef, fowl, fish, or the like, roasted over an open hearth, especially when basted in a barbecue sauce.
a framework, as a grill or a spit, or a fireplace for cooking meat or vegetables over an open fire.
a dressed steer, lamb, or other animal, roasted whole.
a meal, usually in the open air and often as a political or social gathering, at which meats are roasted over an open hearth or pit.

verb (used with object), barbecued, barbecuing. 
to broil or roast whole or in large pieces over an open fire, on a spit or grill, often seasoning with vinegar, spices, salt, and pepper.
to cook (sliced or diced meat or fish) in a highly seasoned sauce.

verb (used without object), barbecued, barbecuing.
to cook by barbecuing or to entertain at a barbecue:
If the weather's nice, we'll barbecue in the backyard.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2017, 02:53:09 PM »

Some feel wood is involved, others do not...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up