Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Searing station - Gas grill or Blackstone griddle?  (Read 4397 times)

4given

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Searing station - Gas grill or Blackstone griddle?
« on: November 29, 2017, 02:39:24 PM »

I took my gas grill up to the cabin after I bought my GMG DB. My grill grates are "OK" but I think I would like to add a gas grill or a gas griddle like the blackstone to my patio to sear steaks and etc.   The gas grill would do the job but I think all I would do with it is sear. The pellet grill is so much better at everything else.

Looks like I can get a Blackstone Griddle on Amazon pretty reasonable. It would sear and do all sorts of things the Pellet and gas grills can't. Anybody have one?  What do you think?

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:57:25 AM by 4given »
John 3:16-18  GMG Daniel Boone, GMG Davy Crockett

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Searing station - Gas grill or Blackstone griddle?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 02:51:04 PM »

Just search this forum for 'Blackstone' - they are a bunch of threads on this topic.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 03:52:10 PM »

There are many Blackstones in use..A "flattop" cooks differently than a direct flame cooker.  Fire adds a taste of its own...The Blackstone has many uses, a great way to diversify cooking styles..

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 03:54:34 PM »

I was unhappy with the reviews I read on the grease catch for the Blackstone.  I ended up buying the Camp Chef griddle/grill.  I have not been home yet to put it together and try it though.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Canadian John

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 04:07:08 PM »

Blackstone grease trough problem..I had read Blackstone was to add a weld bead next to the drain hole generating a low spot for the oil to follow and drip directly down instead of running back. An easy fix is to place a paperclip formed into a "T" into the drain hole. This generates a low spot....

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 04:20:24 PM »

Searing over a hot fire is one thing, high temp griddles are another. What do you need to do?

Some pellet grills have a uber hot pure fire area.  My Yoder has that.  I have grill grates for searing, or just the chrome grates work. 

But, when cooking steaks I love my Weber kettle performer.  It lets me reverse sear steaks perfectly, or anything else.  I have a Vortex.  Amazing addition to a Weber grill.  I use my smoker for smoking, like 9 chickens at once, or 6 pork butts, or turkeys etc.  Pellets can get costly for a simple steak cook etc for two people. 

So, it depends if you need a griddle or a grated hot fire area. 
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

WiPelletHead

• Mondovi WI
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 05:44:24 PM »

I have the Blackstone 36" and love it.

They did add a bead of weld by the grease drain and it works pretty good at stopping the drips. A bent paper clip would work also.

It works great for searing, bacon, eggs, hash browns etc. I like to make potato pancakes and it was nice to put the whole batch on and cook them all at one time.

I'm sure the Camp Chef would be great also, but it is a fair bit more expensive.
FE PG 1000

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 06:27:43 PM »

I sorta' compromised by putting a stainless steel griddle on my gas grill.  Look up Little Griddle.

Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

TechMOGogy

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 06:37:23 PM »

I sorta' compromised by putting a stainless steel griddle on my gas grill.  Look up Little Griddle.

This is what I do too
I had a buddy weld up a custom SS one for my gassr
GMG DC, FEC100, PK360

Fishwater2002

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 05:43:09 AM »

I have the Blackstone 36" & love it for everything including searing. I just picked up the Camp Chef Sear Box so I'll be installing that this weekend but only because when I was shopping for pellet grills the sear box was a major reason why I decided on Camp Chef, the Blackstone is more than capable of searing. I recently did a reverse seared strip on the Camp Chef with the sear done on the Blackstone....

Conumdrum

• I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 09:17:18 PM »

Looks awesome!  Great steak.  I'll stick to searing on a direct flame at 800f or so, possibly more I'm sure.

I just consider searing on a direct massive flame temp, not on a flat top.

And I do it on one pellet smoker, my Yoder.
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

4given

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 10:04:40 AM »

I ordered a Blackstone 28" from Bed. Bath & Beyond using a 20% off coupon and free shipping! Looking forward to trying it out. My first cook will be a reverse sear. Smoke steaks onthe pellet grill to an IT of 120 and then sear on the griddle.  :cool:
John 3:16-18  GMG Daniel Boone, GMG Davy Crockett

Canadian John

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 08:46:09 AM »

An other Blackstone joins the group..What a super deal!!!  Let us know how it works out after you get used to it..

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 12:09:17 PM »

Paul, how does the little griddle work for you for searing? I love mine for cooking breakfast, cheese steaks, etc, but for hot searing it falls short. I've tried several times to make smashburgers on it, but can't get a good crust compared to cast iron on the stove. I've got the GQ230, which is a pretty heavy duty unit, but I think the gauge of steel is just too thin for a good sear. I've measured the surface temp and it drops considerably when you put a piece of cold meat on it.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 02:06:58 PM »

The two variables are probably the griddle material and the gas grill.  I heat the griddle up with the grill at full throttle and the lid closed.  It gets so hot that I have to be cautious that I don't burn things.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up