Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ceramic Ignition System?  (Read 5029 times)

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Re: Ceramic Ignition System?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2019, 07:15:48 PM »

$200, OUCH!
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Jimsbarbecue

• Using less gas.
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2019, 12:32:18 AM »

Yes as others said the Rec Tec is a Traeger style replacement. Pot and igniter

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2019, 09:21:28 AM »

Is it a direct replacement or is there an adapter and/ or re-work involved???

Direct replacement. The only difference is the ignitor is an intergral part of the fire pot now!! You replace the entire assembly.

The new setup still has a set screw on the hot rod, but the new fire pot has holes in different spots, away form where the ceramic rod.  The new pot also protects the rod more than the old pot would. 

Hopefully it delivers.  Technically even if I used the grill daily, this new hot rod could go 273 years.

What if it only went 200 years?  Hope it is a transferrable warranty.   :P

KrautBurner

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: 3 hot rods a year ???
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2019, 12:36:22 AM »

Not yet.  I've gone through 3 hot rods in a year so I think I'll spring for the ceramic ignitor.  Was it an easy swap?

That's pretty much where I was at, 2 to 3 a year.  Swap was as easy as changing a hot rod.

is this really a thing?

I replaced a hotrod on my 15+ year old Traeger 124 last spring  (probably done 75+ cycles on it since then)
never replaced the hot rod on my JR (picked up used,  and we had it for 3+ years)
my Father in law picked up his BBQ 075 (very used) about 3 years ago,  hasnt replaced the hotrod yet

I realize that my experience is with Traegers (not RecTecs)
but,  I believe the firepots/igniter rods are the same

I do like the idea of the ceramic igniter,   not sure I like the idea of it not having the same holes in the firepot as the old 9 hole pots tho
I'm usually cooking on a Traeger BBQ124, Traeger JR BBQ055 (SOLD), Traeger Texas BBQ075 (Father in laws), or a couple of SawTooth grills at my church

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Re: 3 hot rods a year ???
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2019, 09:10:11 AM »

Not yet.  I've gone through 3 hot rods in a year so I think I'll spring for the ceramic ignitor.  Was it an easy swap?

That's pretty much where I was at, 2 to 3 a year.  Swap was as easy as changing a hot rod.
IMO the number of holes in the pot is a calculated thing by the builders.  It's a physics thing and should not be arbitrary.  It will not doubt determine the rate of flow for convection and efficiency of the heat.  ??

is this really a thing?

I replaced a hotrod on my 15+ year old Traeger 124 last spring  (probably done 75+ cycles on it since then)
never replaced the hot rod on my JR (picked up used,  and we had it for 3+ years)
my Father in law picked up his BBQ 075 (very used) about 3 years ago,  hasnt replaced the hotrod yet

I realize that my experience is with Traegers (not RecTecs)
but,  I believe the firepots/igniter rods are the same

I do like the idea of the ceramic igniter,   not sure I like the idea of it not having the same holes in the firepot as the old 9 hole pots tho
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up