Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lets talk about Treager pellets please keep it civil.  (Read 3472 times)

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
Lets talk about Treager pellets please keep it civil.
« on: December 01, 2017, 05:18:01 PM »

When I started researching a pellet smoker 6 months before I bought one over 3 years ago, I read in two forums and one .www that Treager pellets were different from the East/West coast.  East used Oak as the base, West used Alder.  That was because of the cost of the wood.

They used some sort of 'essence' to flavor each wood.  So, the mix on the West coast would be Alder (not the best BTU wood) and then add 'apple flavor' to make apple pellets.

I ask because I need to know, I'm a science guy.  And locally I buy Lumberjack at $15 per 20 lb bag if I buy 6+. 

Someone being an expert please let me know.  Rumors and beliefs don't count.  Keep it science please.

I dunno, maybe Traeger does it right now.  But nothing on the .www they have now states anything like it's real wood, just they grind it and add some veg oil to help make pellets. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 05:23:54 PM by Conumdrum »
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Lets talk about Treager pellets please keep it civil.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 05:31:01 PM »

Rumors abound. One thing that is not a rumor is that Traeger applied for and IIRC, received a patent for the production of wood pellets that are treated with a wood based flavor additive. You can find that patent online. But that doesn't mean they do now, or ever, actually used that for production. I've seen comments from several people that have claimed to have communicated with corporate office and asked if flavor additives were used. In some cases the reply was yes, and others it was no. So until Traeger puts out a written statement, everyone is just making things up or guessing. I really wouldn't worry about it. If I liked the price and flavor profile, I would use them.

GrillinGlen

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Meridian, Idaho
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 05:35:53 PM »

I worked with a guy who had worked for Traeger and this is what he told me (about 3 years ago) The alder in the west and oak in the east is correct.  Hickory and mesquite are the only ones that are 100% base wood(alder or oak) and then flavored with some kind of flavor oil.  The rest are 75%* base wood and 25%* flavor wood (apple or whatever) I dont swear by the % but i think its right.  Ive heard confirmation of this by other sources so i believe it true.
2011 SS Memphis Pro

Conumdrum

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 09:20:01 PM »

I worked with a guy who had worked for Traeger and this is what he told me (about 3 years ago) The alder in the west and oak in the east is correct.  Hickory and mesquite are the only ones that are 100% base wood(alder or oak) and then flavored with some kind of flavor oil.  The rest are 75%* base wood and 25%* flavor wood (apple or whatever) I dont swear by the % but i think its right.  Ive heard confirmation of this by other sources so i believe it true.

That's the issue.  It's been 3-4 years since I heard any reliable info on Traeger pellets.  They are cheaper local, but who knows?
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 07:42:37 PM by Darwin »

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 07:14:29 AM »

That is a lot of good info Darwin..  The only thing I just can't get my head around is the lubricating (soy) oil..Perhaps grape vine is dry and requires it. However Traeger still uses oil added to the wood as a lubricant for the forming dies. As far as I know other

manufacturers don't. The lignin provides the lubrication..Some lower horsepower pellet mills (home verity) do require a lubricant of some sort.. Perhaps Traeger uses the lubricating oil to reduce horsepower requirements thus saving money?  One thing for sure

is they aren't very transparent about the makeup of their pellets..

Conumdrum

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 10:35:10 AM »

Out of all the patents this was a recurring line in more than one patent.

"Thus, the overall ratio of components in the preferred pellet embodiment on a weight/weight basis is: 35 parts lubricant, 1 part wood oil, and 130 part wood particles."

The place I buy pellets from has a copy of the signed letter from one company many of us use.  Just wood, no oils.   

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 12:39:48 PM »

Keep it civil?

I don't buy them because they're more expensive than just about anything else.

Couple that with the posts below and it's a no brainer.
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Conumdrum

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 03:16:37 PM »

Out of all the patents this was a recurring line in more than one patent.

"Thus, the overall ratio of components in the preferred pellet embodiment on a weight/weight basis is: 35 parts lubricant, 1 part wood oil, and 130 part wood particles."

The place I buy pellets from has a copy of the signed letter from one company many of us use.  Just wood, no oils.

Sorry forgot to say "Darwin, awesome find on the information."

Conumdrum

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 03:24:40 PM »

Keep it civil?

I don't buy them because they're more expensive than just about anything else.

Couple that with the posts below and it's a no brainer.

I guess where you live you can get great buys and possibly do use enough that a pallet is cost effective. 

Heck a pallet here saves me little due to the long distance shipping.  Traeger is cheapest here at Costco. Comes out to $.57 per lb.  This all started when talking to my Physical Therapist who is kinda a new smoker of pellets, has a Camp Chef and has been using Traeger pellets.  So I told him what I had heard and he was interested.  So instead of going on what I had heard years ago I thought I'd make sure and not steer him wrong.  Came to the pellet experts. 

Moot fact now though, I got 3 #20 bags of Lumberjack in my truck for him, we did a group buy of 6 bags, at $.70 lb.  $.85 lb for 1-2 bags. 

Ross77

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 06:02:20 PM »

The local Costco here has 33 lb bags of Treager 'gourmet blend' for $20.  Not a great deal but not horrible either.  When Treager does their Costco road show I think they lower the price to around $16 with a couple different varieties.  I've not personally tried Treager yet.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

Conumdrum

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 07:31:01 PM »

Any more comments on the pellets themselves?   :-X

Price is not an issue in this case, it's the history of the pellets.

dclord

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 12:08:37 AM »

I've used lots of the popular pellet brands over the years, and the Traeger Gourmet pellets from Costco are my favorite overall. They are also typically the cheapest pellets I can get here in San Diego.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 12:38:37 AM »

I've used lots of the popular pellet brands over the years, and the Traeger Gourmet pellets from Costco are my favorite overall. They are also typically the cheapest pellets I can get here in San Diego.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I remember reading good things about those Gourmet pellets on PH.  I actually bought a bag somewhere, but have yet to try them.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Jcorwin818

• 10th SFG (Lenexa, Ks)
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 07:29:46 AM »

I only use the Traeger Gourmet Blend anymore both for home and competitions.  Like how it smokes and it has a great flavor profile and a decent price.  $19.99 for 33 lb bag.  JMO
Traeger 075 Texas (USA) WSM 22" Weber Kettle Weber Spirit 310
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up