Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by TechMOGogy on 02 Dec 2017
  • Well after waiting 2 years for this Kickstarter thermometer it finally arrived!!
    What makes it different is it is only a probe. No wires, no boxes... just a thicker probe.
    It has a rechargeable battery that charges in the supplied charger with 1 AAA battery.
    You pair it to your phone (iOS or Droid) using Bluetooth.
    As we all know Bluetooth is good for about 30ft. But if you have an old phone lying around you can pair the MEATER to it, enable the cloud option and then you can have access to your temps from anywhere you get a cell or wifi signal (great on long cooks) using your ‘real’ phone
    I used it for the 1st time on my US Thanksgiving smoked turkey breast in the FEC100 and it worked very well. No issues with the dual wall FEC and signal and it graphs your cook too.
    I don’t want to sound like an ad so you can figure out all it’s features and details by googling it.
    Here are some pics of mine.
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
     [ Invalid Attachment ]

• #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Dec 2017
  • It was a very cool concept when someone posted the Kickstarter on PH.
  • #3 by BigDave83 on 02 Dec 2017
  • Good to know it works well, now if they could get the blocks done so they can send me mine.
  • #4 by TechMOGogy on 03 Dec 2017
  • Good to know it works well, now if they could get the blocks done so they can send me mine.

Yup I ordered that too but wish I had not as 1 probe and an extra cell phone is all you need.
    The Block takes the place of the extra phone but I don’t ever see needing 4 probes (which is really 8 as each probe has internal and ambient temp sensors built in)
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 03 Dec 2017
  • If you have another type of remote thermometer, it would be nice to see their results compared to that of the MEATER on the same cook.
  • #6 by lamrith on 03 Dec 2017

Yup I ordered that too but wish I had not as 1 probe and an extra cell phone is all you need.
    The Block takes the place of the extra phone but I don’t ever see needing 4 probes (which is really 8 as each probe has internal and ambient temp sensors built in)
    Extra probes are very handy for cooking multiple items at once.  Having a BBQ and cooking steaks and chicken no problem.  Two in family like rare, one likes medium and one medium rare, no problem with four probes.  Plus not having to find or buy a phone to act as a relay..  Having ambient temp on each is also a sweet bonus for those  with grills that seem to never have even temps, least they can know exactly what each probe location is seeing and adjust cooks accordingly.

I have been considering the fireboard, but still very interested in the meater if they would just hurry up with the block.
  • #7 by Ross77 on 04 Dec 2017
  • I’ve been looking at WiFi thermos. I’m between this and the Smoke. I may give the Meater a try. I like the idea of no wires.
  • #8 by LowSlowFoShow on 04 Dec 2017
  • I was the one who posted it on PH 2 years ago.  Still waiting for my Meater Block!
  • #9 by Ross77 on 16 Dec 2017
  • Used mine tonight to reverse sear some 2" thick Costco ribeyes.  I set a target temp of 110 for the smoke.  It predicted just over an hour and it was spot on.  I pulled the steaks and set target to 135 and it told me to pull it at 130.  After resting it went to 138.  Steak turned out a perfect medium rare with a nice light smoke flavor.

The bluetooth range is pretty abysmal so having a dedicated device to link it to wifi is a must.  I used my wife's phone to link it to the cloud which pushed it to my phone. 

All in all a pretty cool device.  I look forward to trying it on a longer cook.
  • #10 by Fire708 on 17 Dec 2017
  • Thanks for the updates. I’ve been wondering if these lived up to the claims. Seems like they do?
  • #11 by Ross77 on 18 Dec 2017
  • I think so. Hopefully they will eventually sell the WiFi link device separate.
  • #12 by Ckoss on 20 Dec 2017
  • @Ross77, How do you use another device to view it via wifi?
  • #13 by Ross77 on 20 Dec 2017
  • I used my wife’s iPhone to connect it to the MEATER via Bluetooth. Her iPhone then sends it over WiFi to any other devices with the app installed. You just have to turn on the WiFi option in the app.
    There are videos on their website and in the app explaining it. Once it’s all setup, everything seems to just automatically connect and sync.
Pages:
Actions