Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Hoosier Daddy on 02 Dec 2017
  • Did another whole packer today.  Put on at 5pm yesterday and took off about 2pm today.  Sure love the Rec Tec's large hopper.
  • #2 by triplebq on 02 Dec 2017
  • What rub did you use? Killer bark.
  • #3 by Hoosier Daddy on 03 Dec 2017
  • Black Ops brisket rub. Pretty good stuff.
  • #4 by Canadian John on 03 Dec 2017
  •  That should be illegal - due to its great looks!  Good job. 
  • #5 by Hoosier Daddy on 03 Dec 2017
  • Looks fantastic!  Wrap or naked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Naked the whole time.  I never wrap anything.  Thanks for the replies.   This was probably my best yet because I had no time restraints.  Maintained 225 the entire cook which ended up taking 21hrs.  We really liked the bark.
  • #6 by Ross77 on 03 Dec 2017
  • Nice ring.  That rub is my new favorite.  Did you inject it?  The last packer I smoked took 19 hours and I seemed to have a decent amount of pellets left.  How many pellets did you go through?
  • #7 by cookingjnj on 03 Dec 2017
  • I hope you asked that brisket "Hoosier Daddy" , 'cause you nailed it.  Looks awesome, great cook.  Thanks for sharing.
  • #8 by lamrith on 03 Dec 2017
  • OUT.
    STANDING!! :clap:

How big was that brisket?  Flat only or full packer?
  • #9 by Hoosier Daddy on 04 Dec 2017
  • Full packer from Sams Club. Was a choice grade.  Not injected.  I've never injected nor wrapped....I prefer just to put the meat on and let it ride.

Was probably about 13lbs after my trim job.  Don't know why but my briskets and butts always take closer to 2lbs per hour at 225-250. 

I never even opened the lid of the Rec Tec until my Thermoworks Smoke said it was 195 then I probed it. Let to go to about 200dg when it probed tender. 

Not really sure about my pellet consumption.  Started with a full hopper then then put in a 20lb bag of LumberJack after wards and didn't quite fill it back up. Guessing I used about 22-23lbs.

I sure love this pellet smoker.  When I woke up Saturday morning and saw the meat temp was at 168dg I left the house & ran my Saturday morning errands with peace of mind even though there was a slight breeze.  Never would have dreamed of leaving my WSM unattended with a breeze going on. 

Anyway sorry to ramble on so,
    Dan
  • #10 by snj1013 on 04 Dec 2017
  • Awesome looking brisket.
  • #11 by lamrith on 04 Dec 2017
  • Thanks Hoosier!!

Follow up question(s)
    About how long did it take to go 196-200*? 
    Once you hit 195 and probe for tenderness, how often do you repeat that?  Certain amount of time, temps?

I have yet to have a "hit" brisket, only tried a few times as it is an expensive piece of meat to experiment on, so I stopped experimenting.  One was to dry, but fairly tender and decent flavor, another had better moisture, but was tough.  The other was not good in any facet and ended up cubed for burnt ends with teh sauce and rub adding flavor and moisture to make edible...
  • #12 by Ross77 on 04 Dec 2017
  • Yeah it can be a tough one to figure out. I’ve had my fair share of dry brisket flats. The only way to get better is to practice and that can get expensive with brisket.

• #13 by snj1013 on 04 Dec 2017
  • Thanks Hoosier!!

Follow up question(s)
    Once you hit 195 and probe for tenderness, how often do you repeat that?  Certain amount of time, temps?

I have yet to have a "hit" brisket, only tried a few times as it is an expensive piece of meat to experiment on, so I stopped experimenting.  One was to dry, but fairly tender and decent flavor, another had better moisture, but was tough.  The other was not good in any facet and ended up cubed for burnt ends with teh sauce and rub adding flavor and moisture to make edible...

I think your experience with briskets is the exact reason many have more success using the Texas Crutch method.
  • #14 by Ross77 on 04 Dec 2017
  • He’s not using a pellet smoker but it’s an interesting comparison between 3 methods.

http://www.pbs.org/video/bbq-franklin-episode-1-brisket/
  • #15 by Hoosier Daddy on 04 Dec 2017
  • Thanks Hoosier!!

Follow up question(s)

I am no expert by any stretch.  I've ruined alot more briskets than I've been pleased with.  Like you I've had many "edible" briskets but not very many I was proud of.  I think we smoker enthusiests are our own worst critics.   [ Invalid Attachment ]

But to answer your questions.....About 45min-1hr if I recall.  I only probed it twice once at 195 then again at 200 (an average temp probing in several places some being a little more and some a little less).  The point probed tender at 195 and was tempted to pull it off then, however, wasn't happy with the way the flat felt so let go a little longer.  At 200 flat felt a little better so pulled it.  The very end of the flat (skinniest part) was dry and over done....I ate on it while cutting.   After about five slices into the flat it became much better. 

I've attached an additional pic of the first few slices off the brisket...as you may be able to tell the first few began to crumble.  It would never win any contest but so what.  I only compete with myself and my family really liked it.  Gonna eat on it again tonight along with some bake beans.  Mmmmmm

Good luck,
    Dan

Pages:
Actions