Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by bregent on 03 Dec 2017
  • I usually save the fat trimmings from my briskets which can be several lbs or more from each large packer. I use some of the fat in sausage but usually have a lot left over that I freeze. I decided to make some tallow with what I had frozen.

I started with 8 lbs of fat and ran it through the medium plate on the meat grinder. Put 10 cups at a time into our instant pot set to saute at normal heat. The fat took only a few minutes to completely melt but I let it cook a bit more to drive off any moisture. Strained through a fine filter into a pryex measuring cup and repeated with the remaining fat. Once all the fat was rendered I cleaned out the pot, poured the liquid fat back in and let it heat a bit more. While still hot, I poured it directly into canning jars and screwed the lids on. Yield was about 88 oz. From what I understand, this should be very room temperature stable. 

Now to figure out what to do with it?  I'm thinking fried chicken and french fries to start with.

• #2 by Free Mr. Tony on 03 Dec 2017
  • Nice! I've always wanted to do that. Every time I trim I tell myself I'm keeping the fat this time. Then, I toss it anyway. I really need to start saving better. French fries would most certainly be my first go round if it were me.
  • #3 by Kristin Meredith on 03 Dec 2017
  • Tallow -- didn't the pioneers and colonials make candles and soap with tallow?
  • #4 by WiPelletHead on 03 Dec 2017
  • Tallow -- didn't the pioneers and colonials make candles and soap with tallow?

At the risk of hinting on how old I am, I remember home made lye soap that was made with beef tallow. That was nasty stuff.

And McDonald's french fries cook in beef tallow.

The good old days!

:lick:
  • #5 by pmillen on 03 Dec 2017
  • At the risk of hinting on how old I am, I remember home made lye soap that was made with beef tallow. That was nasty stuff.

My grandmother made lye soap.  In fact she made her own lye.  I never saw it.  I only heard the recipes and stories.

I realize, now, how incredibly frugal they were.  In contrast, I decided to buy my current truck model because the front seats are not only heated and cooled, but they also massage back and bottom.

I feel a bit ashamed.
  • #6 by bproffer on 04 Dec 2017
  • I cooked 40lbs of rib roast this weekend. It started as 57lbs and by the time I finished trimming, I had 17lbs of fat and scraps. I roasted some that had the most meat content to get drippings for Au Jus, and ended up with almost 3 cups of tallow. I still have 3 gallon size ziploc bags of beef fat I need to render down.

I left the 3 cups of tallow in a container on the counter, and while I stepped out to the store, my dogs decided they wanted it it more than I did. I had beef fat dog footprints all over the kitchen floor... :(
  • #7 by bregent on 04 Dec 2017

At the risk of hinting on how old I am, I remember home made lye soap that was made with beef tallow. That was nasty stuff.

And McDonald's french fries cook in beef tallow.

The good old days!

:lick:

I remember some nasty homemade soap too, but it probably wasn't because of the tallow. From what I've read, tallow appears to have excellent skin moisturizing qualities. Still, I don't see myself making any soap.  I'm figuring that eating french fries cooked in tallow will give my skin that healthy glow from the inside.
  • #8 by Ralphie on 15 Apr 2018
  • I’ve never made tallow nor seen it made. Is grinding a required step?
  • #9 by ScottWood on 15 Apr 2018
  • I've never made tallow but I do save all of my brisket trimming fat.  I freeze it and use it when I am making ground beef or ground venison.
  • #10 by Craig in Indy on 08 Jul 2018

Yes, and I've been told the soot from tallow candles is one of the things that made lighting by early candles so dirty.
  • #11 by Bentley on 08 Jul 2018
  • This is what was left after the 9lb Sous Vide Brisket cook, and 2 hours in the freezer!  It is the "purest" looking beef fat I have ever seen!

• #12 by bregent on 18 Jul 2019
  • Made some chicken fried steak last night. I do cheat and use preformed, raw, frozen beef fritters we get from Cash & Carry. They're really good, but last night decided to fry them in tallow, and make the gravy from it as well. Probably not the healthiest thing, but sooo much better tasting than frying in veggie oil. And we did have some salad with it :)

• #13 by Kristin Meredith on 18 Jul 2019
  • Isn't there milk in the gravy?  That also sounds healthy to me :pig: Good looking meal!
  • #14 by pmillen on 18 Jul 2019
  • The salad and milk saved you.
  • #15 by bregent on 18 Jul 2019
  • The salad and milk saved you.

Alright!
Pages:
Actions