Here's How I.... > Cook Everything Else (Pizza, Appetizers, Desserts, etc)

Beef Tallow

(1/3) > >>

bregent:
I usually save the fat trimmings from my briskets which can be several lbs or more from each large packer. I use some of the fat in sausage but usually have a lot left over that I freeze. I decided to make some tallow with what I had frozen.

I started with 8 lbs of fat and ran it through the medium plate on the meat grinder. Put 10 cups at a time into our instant pot set to saute at normal heat. The fat took only a few minutes to completely melt but I let it cook a bit more to drive off any moisture. Strained through a fine filter into a pryex measuring cup and repeated with the remaining fat. Once all the fat was rendered I cleaned out the pot, poured the liquid fat back in and let it heat a bit more. While still hot, I poured it directly into canning jars and screwed the lids on. Yield was about 88 oz. From what I understand, this should be very room temperature stable. 

Now to figure out what to do with it?  I'm thinking fried chicken and french fries to start with.

Free Mr. Tony:
Nice! I've always wanted to do that. Every time I trim I tell myself I'm keeping the fat this time. Then, I toss it anyway. I really need to start saving better. French fries would most certainly be my first go round if it were me.

Kristin Meredith:
Tallow -- didn't the pioneers and colonials make candles and soap with tallow?

WiPelletHead:

--- Quote from: Kristin Meredith on December 03, 2017, 08:46:01 PM ---Tallow -- didn't the pioneers and colonials make candles and soap with tallow?

--- End quote ---

At the risk of hinting on how old I am, I remember home made lye soap that was made with beef tallow. That was nasty stuff.

And McDonald's french fries cook in beef tallow.

The good old days!

:lick:

pmillen:

--- Quote from: WiPelletHead on December 03, 2017, 09:13:55 PM ---At the risk of hinting on how old I am, I remember home made lye soap that was made with beef tallow. That was nasty stuff.

--- End quote ---

My grandmother made lye soap.  In fact she made her own lye.  I never saw it.  I only heard the recipes and stories.

I realize, now, how incredibly frugal they were.  In contrast, I decided to buy my current truck model because the front seats are not only heated and cooled, but they also massage back and bottom.

I feel a bit ashamed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View