Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "A DAY WHICH SHALL LIVE IN INFAMY"  (Read 1178 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
"A DAY WHICH SHALL LIVE IN INFAMY"
« on: December 07, 2017, 05:53:05 AM »

I remember..

Let there be no more days like this - ever.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Re: "A DAY WHICH SHALL LIVE IN INFAMY"
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 07:50:24 AM »

At 7:55 a.m. on Dec. 7, 1941, 2,400 Americans were killed and 1,200 were wounded when 360 Japanese warplanes descended on the U.S. naval base at Pearl Harbor in a surprise attack, according to history.com.

Gov. John Kasich has ordered that all flags be flown at half-staff in honor of Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.  From sunrise to sunset Thursday, flags in Ohio will be at half-staff to honor those who lost their lives serving our country in the Dec. 7, 1941, attack on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii.

From Kasich's Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day resolution: "We remember the lives lost that tragic December morning and we owe all men and women of our military a debt of gratitude that we can never fully repay."

I don't know if any other governors made a similar order, but thank you Governor Kasich.  There aren't that many still living who were even alive 76 years ago and it seems to me that we often have a short memory as a society.

mowin

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 08:36:05 AM »

God bless America.

urnmor

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 08:43:45 AM »

We should never forget December 7 1944 and always remain vigilant and prepared.  To me I will never forget 9/11 as my daughter was in the 1st
tower and was and is very fortunate to be alive.  My concern is we were not prepared then and today IMO is much more dangerous and volatile.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 03:41:58 PM »

I was taught as a young boy to never forget...

Sunday, December 7th, 1941--Admiral Chester Nimitz was attending a concert in Washington D.C. He was paged and told there was a phone call for him. When he answered the phone, it was President Franklin Delano Roosevelt on the phone. He told Admiral Nimitz that he (Nimitz) would now be the Commander of the Pacific Fleet. Admiral Nimitz flew to Hawaii to assume command of the Pacific Fleet. He landed at Pearl Harbor on Christmas Eve, 1941. There was such a spirit of despair, dejection and defeat--you would have thought the Japanese had already won the war. On Christmas Day, 1941, Adm. Nimitz was given a boat tour of the destruction wrought on Pearl Harbor by the Japanese. Big sunken battleships and navy vessels cluttered the waters every where you looked. As the tour boat returned to dock, the young helmsman of the boat asked, "Well Admiral, what do you think after seeing all this destruction?" Admiral Nimitz's reply shocked everyone within the sound of his voice. Admiral Nimitz said, "The Japanese made three of the biggest mistakes an attack force could ever make, or God was taking care of America. Which do you think it was?" Shocked and surprised, the young helmsman asked, "What do mean by saying the Japanese made the three biggest mistakes an attack force ever made?" Nimitz explained: Mistake number one : the Japanese attacked on Sunday morning. Nine out of every ten crewmen of those ships were ashore on leave. If those same ships had been lured to sea and been sunk--we would have lost 38,000 men instead of 3,800. Mistake number two : when the Japanese saw all those battleships lined in a row, they got so carried away sinking those battleships, they never once bombed our dry docks opposite those ships. If they had destroyed our dry docks, we would have had to tow every one of those ships to America to be repaired. As it is now, the ships are in shallow water and can be raised. One tug can pull them over to the dry docks, and we can have them repaired and at sea by the time we could have towed them to America. And I already have crews ashore anxious to man those ships. Mistake number three : every drop of fuel in the Pacific theater of war is in top of the ground storage tanks five miles away over that hill. One attack plane could have strafed those tanks and destroyed our fuel supply. That's why I say the Japanese made three of the biggest mistakes an attack force could make or God was taking care of America. Any way you look at it--Admiral Nimitz was able to see a silver lining in a situation and circumstance where everyone else saw only despair and defeatism. President Roosevelt had chosen the right man for the right job. We desperately needed a leader that could see silver linings in the midst of the clouds of dejection, despair and defeat. There is a reason that our national motto is, IN GOD WE TRUST.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Trooper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 03:51:24 PM »

Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 04:40:14 PM »

That read Bentley was incredible.

Timbo1010

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 05:13:06 PM »

I second that!
Blaz'n Gridiron

Vision

• Using less gas.
  • Baltimore, Maryland
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 08:10:02 PM »

Never forget.

Then one day Bruner was talking, and McGrath noticed he'd started to cry.

The old man started with three words: "It was bad," he said.

McGrath listened intently through Bruner's tears. The story was worse than he'd imagined.

"He told me that the ship was listing and he was looking down on the deck and there are bodies everywhere," McGrath said. "But he said he spotted these two sailors wearing their white uniforms, and the way they were walking, they looked like two friends taking a walk. He said he thought they'd be OK and were going to make it. Then, he said, they turned around and their uniforms were burned off, their hair was burned off and even their peckers were burned off."...

http://beta.latimes.com/nation/la-na-pearl-harbor-anniversary-20161207-story.html
Mak 1 Star Blackstone 36 WSM 18 Weber OTG

Michael_NW

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 10:44:45 PM »

Our star-spangled banner. We've been blessed beyond measure.
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 12:57:14 AM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2021, 10:12:55 AM »

Once again, I see nothing in our media reminding our young & old of this historic date and it saddens me but more importantly frightens me!  I will not forget!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2021, 11:01:55 AM »

My Dad's birthday, may he RIP.  He was an Air Force pilot and spent 4 years overseas.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

WiPelletHead

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Mondovi WI
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2021, 11:28:28 AM »

Once again, I see nothing in our media reminding our young & old of this historic date and it saddens me but more importantly frightens me!  I will not forget!

I haven't seen any thing either. At least my mother who is 93 remembers and we have talked about it a number of times leading up to today. Thank you to all former and current service members. We owe you all so much.
FE PG 1000

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2021, 11:38:20 AM »

I have not forgotten.  Peace be with us.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up