Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boneless Short Ribs -- first time on the cooker  (Read 1059 times)

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
Boneless Short Ribs -- first time on the cooker
« on: August 21, 2018, 10:57:27 PM »

Hi all…. another first for me tonight.  My wife was celebrating her birthday today, and as family tradition, she can choose where she would like to go out to eat, or the home cooked dinner of her choice, which comes with the obligatory ice cream birthday cake.   She called me while walking through Wegman's and said…”I think I would like boneless short ribs for my dinner.  We can cook it in the pressure cooker like we have done in the past, or do you think you can cook it on your smoker?”  I did not have to hear that question twice, game on!

I have never cooked short ribs on my pit, mostly only in a pressure cooker, so now I had to figure out how!  PF was the best place to look.  Although I did not completely use any of the posted processes or recipes, thanks to sschorr, triplebq, Ross77 and a few others I came up with the idea of what I wanted to do based on ingredients I had handy and taste profile I thought would be different.

While the pit was heating up, I started by brushing each rib with EVOO and then rubbed with a combination of Jakes Grillin’ Coffee Beef Rub and Montreal Steak Seasoning.  When the pit settled in at 225* I put the boneless ribs on the pit.

While the ribs were cooking I made a glaze to brush on at the end of the cook.  Glaze consisted of 7.5oz (small can) Dr. Pepper.  I had read an earlier suggestion to use Root Beer…. I only had Dr. Pepper so subbed it out.  Two tablespoons each Worcestershire and Soy Sauce, splash (or two) of bourbon and half a bottle of Wegman’s Asian BBQ Sauce.  Heat and reduced by half. (Alcohol would burn out but flavor remain).

Ribs hit stall at 153* for quite a while, so bumped the temp up to 250*, then because of time up to 275*.  I thought I might dry them out since they were boneless, but carried on at that temp. When ribs hit internal of 180* I dunked, instead of brushed, the boneless ribs in the glaze to coat all sides and bumped the pit temp to 275* to set the glaze and caramelize.  I did open the lid and bushed the ribs with extra sauce prior to reaching my "pull" temp.   Pulled boneless ribs at 190* a few degrees short of where I wanted to be, due to timings, and rested anticipating temp to go up a few degrees before serving.

Final outcome…..flavors were great.  I know the pure beef flavor folks would not have included the “Asian” inspired glaze, but the flavors were great and just what we were looking for.  My wife was looking for more “fall off the bone tender” (even though these were boneless), but loved the flavor.  She was looking for the pressure cooking consistency,  and although not “fall off the bone”, these ribs were still pretty tender.  Next time I will probably wrap the boneless ribs during the stall, to get to a more fall apart rib which is what she was looking for, although no real complaints anywhere from anyone in the family.  My son just looked over and kept nodding his head in favor and my daughter who is not much of a carnivore took it in stride.

I know I did not provide much of a recipe, but thanks to all the PF community who continue to inspire creative ideas, I came up with tonight's dinner!  Drives my wife crazy because I do not usually cook from a recipe, just take ideas (mostly from others) and "wing" it.  She is an accountant by trade, so recipes are good for her.   Hahaha.

Boneless Ribs rubbed and ready for the pit
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Ribs Pulled at 180*
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Back on pit after glaze dunk
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Ribs resting
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Plated ...  I did get the gasser going to heat up the Naan Bread
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Gotta have the obligatory ice cream BD cake
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

SparkyLB

• Using less gas.
Re: Boneless Short Ribs -- first time on the cooker
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 04:58:12 AM »

I generally don't do recipes either.  Your version looks mighty tasty. 

So after that, here's a recipe. . . LOL.  This one's from memory, picked up from Johnson & Wales.

For bone-in (but you can use boneless).

Season each with salt and pepper, coat in flour, shake off excess, and brown in vegetable (not olive) oil in a hot dutch oven on all sides.  Reserve.   
Heat a mirepoix (2 parts chopped onion, and one part each carrot and celery in the fat in which the beef was browned.  Scrape off the fond from the bottom of the pot.   
When the mirepoix is soft, put beef back in, add a bay leaf or two, a few smashed garlic cloves, a couple of twigs of rosemary.
Deglaze with about half a bottle of a red wine you'd drink (optional), and enough beef stock to barely cover, and bring to a boil, then to a simmer. 
Cook until tender, skimming the scum that accumulates on top.  This can take 4 hours or more.   
When the beef is ready, set aside, strain the braising liquid, and put the spurs to it, to reduce until there's barely a cup. 
The demi-glaze you just made is lip smacking good because of the collagen and connective tissue from the bones and meat.
If you're good with a ladle, remove all the fat.  If not so much, refrigerate, and peel fat off the top when cold.  This fat is gold, BTW.  The glaze that remains should be gelatinous like refrigerated chix stock, but much more so--like hockey puck density. 
If it makes you think of hundreds of bucks spent at a steakhouse, then you've succeeded. 
Spoon a few tablespoons of this over each slab and serve with mashed potatoes. 
This can be done flintstone style, bone-in on a pellet smoker too, with just salt and pepper cooked to 195, or very tender.  I prefer the braise, but they're both amazing. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 11:56:49 AM by SparkyLB »
Right on to the friction of the day

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
Re: Boneless Short Ribs -- first time on the cooker
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 09:45:19 AM »

Nicely done  :lick: Now I'm hungry.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036
Pages: [1]   Go Up