Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by triplebq on 03 Apr 2018
  • Thank you for the response. The hunt is on for Wagyu now...

Cheers,
    SS

I purchased mine from Snake River Farms. They usually have sales every now and then.
  • #32 by WagyuMan on 06 Apr 2018
  • If you guys are planning on buying a wagyu brisket or anything wagyu make sure you ask a few questions.  Like what percentage wagyu beef is the producer selling?  Is it full blood? F2 which should be 3/4 wagyu and 1/4 angus. Or F1 which is 50% wagyu 50% angus. Be cautious of those that throw around the label wagyu to confuse those wanting to cook the best beef ever and not advertise or say what the percentage they sell.   Also Snake River for the most part sell F1s which their beef is exceptional but not a Full Blood. The biggest full blood seller would be Lone Mountain. They only sell FBs.  Anyway good luck but don't let anyone sell you something that they will not tell you the percentage. And a reputable Breeder also should be able to provide you progeny tracibility of the beef they sell. 
    • WagyuMan
  • #33 by Bentley on 07 Apr 2018
  • I thought Wagyu simple means Japanese cow?  It really means nothing.  Now give me 1/4 Angus and 3/4 Akage Washu, or 1/2 angus and half Nihon Tankaku Washu and I might be impressed.  Half Angus and half Wagyu does not really defined what breed is being used.

Or am I wrong, is there a breed called wagyu...And if I am wrong, what is your background that I should believe in what you speak?

Welcome to the site.
  • #34 by jstrand on 07 Apr 2018
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagyu

According to Wikipedia you are correct. Wagyu means cow and can be one of the four Japanese breeds.
  • #35 by WagyuMan on 07 Apr 2018
  • Bentley.  You are correct, wagyu does mean Japanese cow.  Could be one of many breeds with origins from Japan.  But my interest are more from the  tajima bloodline from the Hyogo prefecture.  I have found them to be the most docile and easiest to raise along with best tasting from what you can raise in the states. My only intent with the first comment was to encourage those looking to ask questions before you spend the bucks on expensive beef.   And possibly look around for local producers in your area to build a relationship. You just might find someone raising some amazing beef.
    • WagyuMan
  • #36 by Bentley on 08 Apr 2018
  • Was not trying to "Grill" you!  I got a Millon of em...Was just curious if you might be a rancher or breed them?  Nice to have experts on the site, I am always just trying to find out if they are!

A you say look local, but I would have no idea how to do that!  Literally across the street from me, angus are raised and finished, yet I cant buy them!

• #37 by jstrand on 08 Apr 2018
  • http://www.eatwild.com/products/  Seems they only allow grass fed farms to list there, but who knows.
    https://www.localharvest.org Not sure what all is listed here.
  • #38 by Bentley on 08 Apr 2018
  • $7.90/lb for grass fed ground beef!  That's a good one!
  • #39 by jstrand on 08 Apr 2018
  •  :rotf:
    Yup! More than I care to pay.
    A guy I know had a 30,000 acre Ranch in Wyoming, raised cattle, every time i was at his place he would give me burger, steaks, roasts etc. Unfortunately he sold it. Thankfully he owns an outfitters in Idaho and some other properties he hunts. Last time over i walked away with Elk and Venison roasts.

I'm lucky to have him as a friend.
  • #40 by WagyuMan on 09 Apr 2018
  • Not sure which place is yours but they both look great.  I have been breeding Tajima wagyu cattle going on six years.  If you post your zip I will see if I can find a producer in your area.
    • WagyuMan
  • #41 by Bentley on 09 Apr 2018
Pages:
Actions